/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Firmware 3.07 for MōVI M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

On the Android in the upper left corner of Chrome, click and drag that corner down and you should see the APK and the Zip Firmware file. Install the new APK. Once you have that installed and you run it while connected to the MoVI you should see the Firmware Install under the system window. It should automatically find the proper zip files. Doing this a bit from memory but I believe that is the sequence. Don't forget to save your current settings prior to the FW upgrade so that you can re-install them.

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Im not understanding why your renaming the bin file to apk. Movi_enc_v3.07.bin is the firmware file and should not be renamed. The WCL-FC2_1_521.apk file is the Freefly Configurator app for Android and should be installed before updating the firmware.

1. Install the Freefly Configurator App
    2. Move the bin file to the Nexus7/Internal storage/Freefly/Firmware folder in the Android file system
    3. Within the app, initiate a firmware update

Android makes it very hard to place the bin file in the right folder. I think thats where most of the confusion happens with the Android process

3. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I know nothing about Androids.
    It sounds like an Android Nexus 7 is a good way to setup the Movi.
    It sounds like there are different manufacturers make and Android Nexus.
    Is there a brand that works better than others?

4. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

I changed the file name because I took the advice of Andy Johnson, a moderator on this thread who wrote

"The .bin file is not for the Nexus. You need the .apk file for the Nexus. I think you may be trying to install a Mac app on to the Nexus which is running the Android operating system."

Thats why i changed the file name on the firmware, which was after i updated the configurator app.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm using the Nexus 7 and it works well with the MōVI.

Andy.

6. This may not help, but it is a tested observation I noticed here in Tech Support. I personally use the Samsung Tab/Note 8" screen with the MoVI's. We also have a ASUS Nexus 7 here as well. I tested this three times to confirm, but for some reason my Samsung was more friendly with the files, and I had no issues verifying and/or locating the path to the 'Freefly Firmware folder'. For some reason the ASUS Nexus 7 is a little stubborn with the files, even though they are both Android devices. One trick I have done is plug my Android into a PC (even though I'm a Mac guy), download the .zip files, un-zip it, then drag the .BIN files onto the Android device that way, instead of doing the direct download onto the tablet. Hope this helps.

Chris

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've noticed the same thing, Chris. The Nexus 7 operating system is far more obstructive than a Mac -- so I use Dropbox on a Mac to put the firmware file into a folder that Dropbox on the Nexus 7 synchronizes with and then tap on the .apk file.

Google needs a stern talking to as far as usability features are concerned compared to the Mac. Operating systems should help you do things, not prevent you! Grrrrr.... :)

Andy

8. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I just found out the the Nexus is the old and outdated unit. It has been replaced with the Tab/Note or Tab Pro.
    I guess we will stay with Samsung. Sounds like it works best.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  9. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

We had a successful firmware update via Mac. But… now our Nexus will not talk to the MoVI.

Would love to get this resolved. Any suggestions?

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ben did you upgrade the Nexus with the latest Android apk version?

11. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

No… must have skipped that section in the upgrade notes.

Will give it a go. Cheers.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kyle:
    I think you misread what I wrote -- I was telling the OP that he was using the wrong file, not that he should do any renaming. The .bin file is not intended for use on the Android -- it's the application program for the Mac. The .apk file is the one that's intended for the Android.

Hope that helps clarify.
    Andy.

13. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

Did it with a samsung tablet, no problems for the update.
    Can't wait to see if the next firmware update will already have auto-tune :)

14. jianwan

jianwan New Member

MOVI M10 is failed to update and showed "Bootstrapping Peripheral...", after several times test, it shows "handshaking failed". In addition, the light on controller just flashed 1 second when the machine turned on, and stopped to work. This is a new machine, we need to know what the problem it is and how to solve it . [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

16. Wing Sheung Chow

Wing Sheung Chow Distributor

Hi Gary,
    Our M5 customer has come across the same problem as Jianwan. He plugged in the jumper, powered on, connected the device to the software on tablet, started to update, it appeared "bootstrapping peripheral " and then, it showed "handshaking failed". "In addition, the light on controller just flashed 1 second when the machine turned on, and stopped to work". This is a machine preordered when launched. Was Jianwan's problem solved? How? The customer is frustrated. Hope to get it solved ASAP.
    Many many thanks!
    Shirley image.jpg image.jpg

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wing:
    The usual cause of the handshake failure is that the BlueTooth connection gets interrupted either because:
    1. There is too much activity on the computer being used to perform the updates -- so be sure to do the update on a machine that is only running the Configurator app.
    2. Also make sure that the MōVI is physically close to the computer so the BlueTooth signal is at its strongest.
    3. Ensure that the computer and the MōVI are not close to other devices that might be using BlueTooth (or even WiFi or other possible sources of radio frequency interference.

Using the Bootstrap jumper should allow you to repeat the firmware upgrade.
    The instructions are here: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...-do-I-use-my-jumper-cable-to-recover-my-MōVI-

I hope this helps.
    Andy.

18. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Shirley,

The Handshaking error during the jumper cable process is something that we have been able to duplicate in testing. The instructions for using a Windows computer point out an important step:

If you are running Windows (7 or 8), select the MōVI from the “Connection -> Select Bluetooth” menu, but do not connect to it. Select “Update Firmware” from the “System” menu, (You should only have that option and “Update Dongle Firmware”). Select the .bin file and start the flashing process. You should see “Handshaking” first followed by “Uploading”.

If the process still cannot be completed, please contact support@freeflysystems.com

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the additional clarification, Bryan.

Andy.

20. Wing Sheung Chow

Wing Sheung Chow Distributor

Hi Andy, Hi Bryan,

Many thanks!

Shirley