/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Firmware 3.07 for MōVI M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

James,

The MoVI operates most effectively with the highest stiffness settings you can obtain before getting oscillation. Before the firmware update MoVIs shipped with stiffnesses of 10,10, and 5 I believe. While this will stabilize the camera somewhat, it is not effective for any real kind of motion. At these settings you will notice a good bit of pan, tilt, and roll lag as you operate. To give you an idea, our Epic setups usually run Tilt-60, Roll-75, and Pan-120. Knowing that everyone has to adjust these settings from the default anyways we decided it was better to start at zero for a few reasons.

So now you've powered up the MoVI after the firmware update and eventually get 3 solid lights. Thats good as everything initialized properly and your showing a full battery. Next, connect back up to the software and adjust stiffness settings for your setup. Lighter cameras will be lower while heavier setups up around the Epic numbers above. The other alternative is loading up the config file that was saved before the update.

So you didnt save your previous config but youve got the MoVI tuned up for your camera setup? Next youll want to save those settings to the MoVI by going to "Write settings". This will preserve them to the MoVI so the next time you power down and back up, the MoVI will be ready to shoot with your camera package. I think this is the step your missing... You can also save the configuration file to your PC, Mac, or Android by using the "Save settings" function and load it from your device back on to the MoVI by using "Load settings".. then of course "write settings" to write to the MoVIs memory as above.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

James get your tablet turned on. Power up the MoVI. Start the Freefly MoVI app and click on System and Read the current settings. This will tell you what the defaults are on the MoVI. If I understand the previous posts once you do the Firmware updates the default tuning for the 3 axis is a value of 0. Do your tuning but before disconnecting from the tablet click on System and then Write Settings. This will save your current tuning to the memory on the MoVI. Powering the MoVI down and then back up will have those last save settings as the new 'default'.

3. James Michaels

James Michaels New Member

Thank you, Brad and Gary, for your patience and help! What you describe sounds exactly like the step I've been missing, and the lack of understanding on my part. I'm going to try it today and respond with my hopeful successes.

4. gary lane

gary lane New Member

After I update the firmware do I reboot with or without a balanced camera? I never turn the MoVI on without a balanced camera but the firmware instructions confuse me. Please tell me if this is the right order
    1- Balance Camera
    2- boot up movi
    3- connect to ff configurator
    4- save config settings
    5- update firmware
    6- reboot ....BUT do I reboot with or without a balanced camera?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would put a balanced camera on there the whole time just to avoid unnecessary oscillation.

Andy.

Kanin Howell likes this.
  6. James Michaels

James Michaels New Member

Brad and Gary, all is well here with our MoVI. Thanks again for the help, as we're up and running with the update. I wrote the settings to the MoVI and it boots up every time.

Sighs of relief.

Jim

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

8. Alexandre Cottin

Alexandre Cottin New Member

Nice features!
    But i miss the HUD in the new software, sometimes it was cool for checking while tuning the MR suspended on a bench.

9. Gorka Rotaeche

Hi.
    I did the firmware update with the tablet. It said firware update complete but if I check the version in the tablet I can´t see v3.07 as in the instructions.It shows calibration day ,month and year. The App version is 1.521.
    Any idea?

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You have the las test versions of everything based on those numbers.

11. Gorka Rotaeche

Thanks Gary but why I can´t see the same screen that appears in the PDF?

12. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Just went through this update on the Nexus 7 Tablet. If you aren't able to do the dropbox route, I downloaded "Astro File Manager" in the Play store which allowed me to copy the BIN file for the firmware to the SD Card/Freefly/Firmware folder. Hope that helps! Glad they added the Radio binding feature to the Mac/Android as well as we just had a DX7s die an untimely death on us.

Mike

George mihaly likes this.
  13. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

I was able to download the firmware files onto the Nexus 7 through Astro file manager, way of dropbox. However I go to open up the .BIN file for Version 3.07 and both Astro File Manager as well as ISO manager cannot understand or read this file type. Downloading the firmware directly on Freefly website to Nexus is automatically saved as a .BIN. Since you cannot change file names manually on the Nexus from what i can tell, I attempted to rename the .BIN file to a .Apk file, only to discover the Nexus changed to back to read '.apk.bin'
    After re-opening the update Movi Configurator, I went to System and clicked on Update Firmware. The next screen shows the the file
    'Movi 3.07 Release' once i click on that to begin the update, a pop-up appears stating '/storage/emulated/0/freefly/firmware/movi 3.07Release: open failed:ElSDiR (is a file directory)' I am guessing this may have to do with the word 'release' however it is the only option that it is giving me. Maybe I am missing something, but i know this should be easier to do.
    thanks for your help

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Kyle, you shouldn't be opening up the bin file. The App does that during the firmware update process.

Have a look at the Android update manual that was included in the zip file.

Maybe your renaming of the file disrupted the process. Id suggest deleting that .bin file and redownloading to that folder

15. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Sounds like we need a firmware update tutorial video.

16. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

Okay,
    I erased all these file apps off the nexus. And downloaded the Firmware directly on the Nexus, which is a zip file that nexus can't open. Therefore I Re-installed ISO extractor on the Nexus to convert zip file to a .bin. Opened freefly app, clicked update firmware and it gives me the file named 'MoVi 3.07 Release' which the Configurator will not open because of an error.. Is there a go-to file converter that Freefly suggests to use with the Nexus. Also ISO extractor makes it pretty near impossible to delete a file, Clearly I'm a Mac guy and this PC world is strange to me.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kyle on the Nexus use Chrome to go to the Freefly Systems home page. The Android apk file is not zipped. Should be able to directly install once it is downloaded.

18. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

Thanks, I do use chrome and click on the firmware update icon on freefly website. I go to my download folder and the file is called MoVi-3.07-Relase.zi.p I am trying AndroZip app now, seems to be more user friendly. i'll let you know

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Did you install the new Android APK file, not the firmware file, first? That's the one that should be a direct install.

20. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

Okay! Successfully updated Firmware! AndroZip allowed me to simply rename .bin to .apk and it also let me move the file out of this Release folder and over to the SD/Firmware area, which is the only thing Freefly seemed to like on the Configurator, at least for me!
    All is well. My only suggestion on the install pdf instructions you elaborate on what it means to "download"
    thanks for the help
    -Kyle