/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 Upgrade for Medium Heavy Lift (8-10kg)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS Steve. Well done. You are about a week ahead of me so I'm learning something every time you post. COuld you share how you generate this graph? I'd like to compare. How close are the amps draws on each motor?
    -m

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Looks great Steve. So you were flying around 22 pounds with 2 8000s right...where do you have your low voltage warning set at?

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I export the GPX file to a CSV in the grid view, then open it in Excel. I paste the following formula into the cell immediately to the right of the first cell in the RCSticks column (AN) and change the number format to Percent (no decimals). Don’t judge me for my ugly programming...I’ve clearly lost my chops in my 2nd life as a photographer. :oops:

=(VALUE(MID(AM2,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2)+2)+2)+1,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2)+2)+2)+2)-FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2,FIND(",",AM2)+2)+2)-1))+127)/255

MIke Magee likes this.
  4. Steve Maller

Yup...not sure of the warning. I did get a low voltage, and my LEDs were not flashing, so I have to check my configuration of the LED blinker thingie.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have mine set to trigger at 21.6 volts. On the subject of batteries, what rate are you guys charging your batteries? I have been only charging my 10000 mah batteries at 2 amps and its taking 3 hours 15 minutes to charge.

6. Steve Maller

2 amps? That is crazy. Most people believe that you should charge your battery at 1C, which in your case would be 10 Amps. That's what I do.

7. Steve Maller

Video of first flight. MōVI is not behaving yet, but I haven't spent any time on calibrating/tuning. Should be able to iron that out today. Was more interested in the flying bits. Felt great!

Rick Chen likes this.
  8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Dave, I charge 50% of the time at 1/2 C, the rest of the time at 1C.
    That's quite a trickle you got going on there.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oy....now you know why I *hate* Excel's formulae -- the chances for a mistake are just so high!

Andy.

Dan Walker likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Some interesting "beat frequencies" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics)) going on with those motors/props. Good to see that they're not apparently making it into the video.

Andy.

11. Steve Maller

Some of what you might be hearing is that the audio track from the GoPro and the audio track from the GH3 may be fighting one another. I use PluralEyes to sync them together, but the GoPro was running at 60fps and the GH3 at 24fps. So the resulting video is something of a mashup. When I listen to the tracks individually, I don't hear the same thing.

12. Dave King

Steve did you get the external compass or are you flying manually?

13. Dave King

I always try to charge them as low as possible to ensure a better charger. I think this is too conservative though and will be doing at least 3/4C.

14. Steve Maller

Neither. :)
    Wrapped up my LiPo wires and there are no more compass errors. PH was spot on. I haven't received the external compass yet.

15. Steve Maller

Some glam slomo video from my iPhone this morning. AH/PH is rock solid, especially on a calm day. :)

Dave King and MIke Magee like this.
  16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My question could be borne of video "strobing" (the wagon-wheel effect), but are all the top motors going the same way with the bottom motors contra-rotating? The video suggests that every other top motor is rotating a different way, with every other bottom motor contra-rotating?

Andy.

17. Steve Maller

Here is how my motors are configured. Standing behind the copter looking down...

** UPPER motors
    top left motor #1-clockwise
    bottom right #2 - clockwise
    top right #3 - counterclockwise
    bottom left #4 - counterclockwise

** LOWER motors
    top left #5 - counterclockwise
    bottom right #6 - counterclockwise
    top right #7 - clock wise
    bottom left #8 - clock wise

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Interesting. I'd always though the having all of the top going CW and all of the bottom going CCW was the normal approach -- but given the lower efficiency of the lower motors and thus a possible induced yawing moment, it would seem that your configuration equalizes that out.

Any reason for not alternative odd/even directions on top and then counter-rotating those below?

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  19. Steve Maller

It feels more symmetric this way. But I could be convinced by some real data (crickets...). The guys out there who have been running big X8 configs (Kopterworx, etc.) are running this way. The DJI FCs default to the way you described, but many are using custom mixers to achieve my setup.

20. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Yep. This is the way MK suggests running the X8. The difference between mine and Steve's is that I created a custom mixer that groups the motors similar to the way the PDB is laid out (Odd on top & even on the bottom) . 1357/8246