/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dji Ronin?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Impressive indeed. I'll certainly be following your testing.

2. Chris Corsello

Chris Corsello New Member

Demo one shot take holy hell its nice.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Click on the "Behind the Scenes" movie at the end of the clip above. The principles apply to the MōVI. :)

Andy.

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya other then the VFX which look pretty weak there at the end... its a pretty nice bit.

5. René Zimmermann

René Zimmermann New Member

i just have to chime in to get some things straight ... as it seems some don´t know the history of this type of gimbals.

the first company wich has offered brushless gimbals was dji. it didn´t exist before that. the gimbals from freefly where servo driven at that time, as with every other competitor. they sucked compared to brushless gimbals.

dji was catering to the multirotor clients, where weight is an important factor and chose to go with lighter cameras.

that was the real game changer at that time regarding gimbals. the difference was like from stone age to modern times - a huge step. no post stabilisation neccessary anymore.

they didn´t think of targeting the real big business - hollywood.

the ignited a new era and by that a few other peoples looked into creating controllers for those new technique, as freefly did, wich have been leading in the servo aera, but where outdated now.

after about 2 years later they announced a gimbal at NAB, as you all know. they did a very clever step, as they targeted the right people wich would pay 15000 dollar for a gimbal that costs you maximum 800- 1000 in parts. they made a huge campain about it and made it HOT - clever!

there was not much r&d equipment wise, as it was already existing from that servo aera. it had just to be tweaked. software is another topic, but just 1 guy was able to create a controller and software by himself wich became famous as alexmos.

so how much cost could have been involved, if just one guy is capable of pulling it as well.

i am not bashing freefly! i think it was a very clever step to go with a brushless gimbal to a clientele where the big money is. they conquered a new market in a very intelligent way - i respect that!

what i don´t like is the fact that i see people wich think that freefly is the starting point of that aera, just because it was the first time they ever heared about and encountered bl-gimbals and call DJI a copyist - thats just not fair in the way i see it and is also not true.

i´ve heared about the problems dji´s 5d gimbal is doing to some, as the gimbal for gh-3 does to some and that is not acceptable, but the most of the gimbals, as well as the first models of the series work almost perfectly.

regarding support: they ALWAYS instantly helped, whenever we had trouble and stepped up to their responsibility. we were very sastisfied with that.

yes, i´ve heared about people getting mad, cause they had their equipment shipped in for 3 months and this sucks. that´s the price DJI paid (acctually the costumer) for growing fast and not beeing prepeared for the stuff thats going to come. made bad reputation ... but they now improved and are still improving their service.

we are located in germany and having dji europe 3 hours drive away. they handled everything very quickly, if the dealer couldn´t.

... but i agree, let´s wait until people get the ronin into the hand before juding it to hell or into heaven!

the stabilisation has been top notch to the most of the users of the zenmuse-series so far. ... and they intend to use that software, wich is a great starting point, let´s just hope the hardware goes along.

rené

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. René Zimmermann

done! ... and sorry for this probably "beeing annoying" :)

rené

8. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Man, I agree with some of your points but you sure you don't work for DJI?

9. René Zimmermann

do i ask, if people who rant about dji are working for a competitor of dji? isn't it more likely that we are all customers wich just have different experiences and the nature of that could cause us to generalize our experiences and to think things are as we see it. i for my part like to complete a picture, if i see it is painted in a certain colour, but know that other colours or grades of them are also apperent.

you maybe understand the point i am making.

rené

10. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi Renee, it seems that you are missing a point. comparing alexmoss stabilisation electronic with the MoVi is not really wise.
    The freefly electronic system is based on state of the art stab. system. I have seen nearly the same system on millitary equipments.
    Actually an accelerometer is unable to make the difference between linear and circular acceleration. when you speed up to 10mph it's not a problem but when you plac you camera on a multicopter, a car or a plane and you speed up to 50mph, the stabilisation in a curve is completly different of what is need if you are in a linear acceleartion. Using a 10hz refreshed gps allows the movi to make the difference between a urve and a straight line and apply the correct compensation.

There is ONE system on the market that have this distinction system between linear and circular acceleration: Movi. You can do whatever you want with an alewmoss or a ronin or a zenmuse, you will never have the same quality of compensation in a "high" speed vehicule in movment.

11. René Zimmermann

you are right it might not have been wise, as i never had a movi in hand and know the results just by judging some videos in the internet ...

i am acctually not in the know about the fine details and what the difference between that linear and circular accerleration is.

what i do know is the stabilisation of a zenmuse is working well, as well in high speeds and curves. sure it might be that the movi has some more advanced system involved, wich gives even better results. i am able to belief that.

still i have to ask, if that is the reason for having high r&d costs? having a faster gps and a software wich allows to use that data ...

i belief it to be important, if you are faced with this fast turns and it would come in handy, sure! ... would be nice if dji doesn't have it to involve that to ...

yes, to my untrained eye the footage of movi was never llooking any different of the zenmuse footage stabilisation wise ...

good luck,

rené

12. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

We've had our alexmos based gimbal at speeds up to 70mph chasing vehicles with no deviation on any axis (vehicle profile capture with the gimbal out in airflow). I know others who have done similar with no issues. No issuses in the air as well with horizon drift. Just adding my 2 cents for my own personal experience using the Alexmos.

13. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Lots of buzz words there:rolleyes:

jim mundell likes this.
  14. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Hi Tuukka I see what you mean....I have never had these issues. I started on my multirotors with a cinestar 3 axis gimbal (servos and radians) and I was very happy with it. When Movi showed up I got one 10. Before that I already had 2x Z15 gimbals and never had an issue. Probably I was lucky but looking at your images it seems to me the drift is controller related. One problem with Zenmuse is that it doesn´t work without the FC. The movi does. This is a very big difference and the reason why DJI didn´t have a handheld gimbal before. I have several handheld gimbal including the Movi and I can tell you it is the best one. Sometimes not in stabilization but in robustness and stability. However I can´t dry rent any gimbal, because even trying to pass information and teacjing people how to tune it image is not so stable as people need countless hours to really "understand" how it works and to tune it. To a rental house the auto tune (not auto balance) would be great. On multirotors I use Zenuse most of the times as clients don´t want to pay to cover the risk of fying a $15000 gimbal and a $30000 camera. So that is the reason why I still have Zenmuse. Much cheaper and very efficent. To be honest I think it is the only "professional " gimbal around apart from the Movi...

15. Augusto Alves da Silva

Yeah....and crash the whole rig... :)

16. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Augusto. Seems that you did not read the description at the beginning of the video. I had a Wookong-M with newest firmware connected to the movie along with the upgraded IMU. Also I have read elsewhere that people with A2 too have had horizontal drift Zen 5D.

What´s more DJI has admitted there is problem with the Zen 5D and they are working with it. So they put the gimbal out well before it was ready and I find it hard to believe they did not know this was the case.

I got rid of mine. I need a gimbal that works now, not maybe in the future. That´s all I have to say about the Zen 5D. Not wasting anymore time on it.

17. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Tuukka:

I did read the description...that is why I said it might be a controller problem. I wouldn´t have discarded the possibilty of trying another FC with the gimbal. At least it would have solved your problem. Anyway DJI has the problem of always releasing beta testing versions of their gear....gimbals, controllers and firmwares. Good luck with your business.

18. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Gimbals aside, that video was pretty cool!

19. Chris Corsello

Chris Corsello New Member

Well after looking at it in person at cinegear and even flipping it upside down with a fully kitted out RED I am sold and the price of $4499 (official) is amazing.

Our preorder will be in tomorrow for 2 of them. Out by the end of the month in limited numbers. Aerial media pros will get the first 100ish a week before everyone else.

20. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

I wonder if The kids at freefly have anything up their sleeves?