/dist/images/branding/favicon

Your Radian gains?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Brad Meier, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

2nd flight (7 min) with TX and HDMI powered. Radian set to 110%. I pushed the kopter around alot and got no oscillation. Horizons stay level - Hurray!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    So, in hindsight, do you think the power on port 1 was the issue here? Is certainly seems to be based on your descriptions...

Thanks
    Andy

3. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hi Andy - I have no other explanation. Right now I have it set so that everything (Radian, TX and HDMI) powers up as soon as I plug in the main. I got a 7 min flight.But I did order a QC1200 to power TX and HDMI separate.I plan to strap that atop a flat QC6200 and test. I am curious if I will get more flight time because I am drawing less current off main or if the added weight will just be a wash.

Cheers - Colin

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the response, Colin. I'm sure other folks will be interested in the conclusion if they find this thread later on.
    Let me know what you think when you get that QC1200 flying.

Thanks
    Andy.

5. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Colin,
    I had a similar experiance on Pan.. and it turned out to be a slack belt.. Just worth checking.

6. DooZee Aerial - Pete

So, Having looked over the whole gimbal, i have installed reinforcing plates all over the place to try to eliminate the wobble im experiancing.. and it didnt work.. So i stand corrected!
    The cable tie mod people have been doing.. is this a tie only round the o rings? or is it round the whole isolating assy?

7. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Pete:
    As I understand it from the image the Joe posted it is just around the O-rings themselves -- just a horizontal loop around the center section of the O-rings.

Andy.

9. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Thankyou Andy,
    I have now done this , and it has made a small difference.
    The major change i have just made is to reinforce the carbon plate that the vibration issolators screw to on the gimbal.
    I have made a second plate, and screwed them together, This has removed 90% of the unwanted movement in our image :)
    The only problem im having now, is that there is a little "Slop" in the gearset of the Freeefly servos..
    This is causing a 1.0-1.5 Degree movement in the image which is more annoying than anything.
    Does anyone know of a better servo with no slop? and also, im aware that these servos were reliant on an external pot, until we pluged the Radian gyros in, Do these servos have an internal pot?
    Any servo advice would be gratefully recieved.
    Pete

10. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Ive also just noticed (While testing), When i have the Gyros switched on, im getting an ossilation and with them turned off, its as close to silky smooth as ive managed to achieve.
    My gains arent high.. All below 60%.
    I noticed earlier in this thread that someoned running 113% gain?!?!?! Very strange indeed!!

11. JoeRuscito

JoeRuscito New Member

Im still getting some jitter in the pan as well as the roll axis, very small, smoothes right out in post, however not perfect. My gains are very low compared to the ones described above, so I dont believe this is the problem. Im shooting with a 60d and heavier lens. all the damper orings are in place. Any thoughts? pan: 70% roll:85%. They still hold their orientation well though.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

With a Sony CX760 (much lighter than the 60D and lens, I think), I have the pan gain down to 50% and still occasionally see incipient oscillation at high slew rates. Make sure that everything is mechanically tight on the gimbal -- and that include the belts. 2-3mm deflection with your finger tip at the mid-point between small and large pulley as that's a sure fire method of getting the Radians/servos to wobble.

I've been informally tracking the gains that people are reporting:
    Pan: 60-80
    Roll: 90-130
    Tilt: 150-220

Andy.

13. Pavlos Antoniou

Andy i think tha 150 and up for tilt is too high..

14. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Coming from a Backgeround in RC helicopters, Im wondering if it is because the gyros are mounted too hard.
    Any vibration could be upsetting the gyros and vausing them to "Wag"
    Im going to try a softer mounting to see what that does.

15. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I have my tilt running at 147 right now and it's dead on. Tilt for me doesn't seem to have much issue from 70 up to 150.. At lower numbers it does ten to lag behind but it's not hard movements. Pan is pretty much the same situation and I think I have that around 130. Rotation however still have a tad bit of wobble that I haven't been able to eliminate. It's set at 135 right now. Canon 7d and heavier lens

16. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Ive just increased our gains, to those suggested above and to my amazement, its not over gained..
    The shot is very steady in pitch and roll, but still it has a judder to it.
    Im flying in reasonably strong winds, and it appears to be turbulance.
    Brad.. What props are you flying with carrying the 7D? Were on Wooden Xoar props, 14x4.75, and im wondering if i need to go for a coarser pitch as the props may be cavitating whilst carying the heavier camera causing the cinestar to judder, and shake the camera..

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I'm still searching for xoars. Still running the APCs. My next thought is to tweak the MK settings

18. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Ive tweaked ours as far as i can to get the judder out of its flying charicteristics in windy conditions, but im wondering about more pitch?!? your still on the slow fly APC 14x4.7?

19. DooZee Aerial - Pete

If you want Xoar props try Buzzflyer over here in the UK.. They have them as far as i know, as we got ours from there!

20. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Andy, Are you saying that we need 2-3mm of deflection on the belts? or that the deflection will cause the wobble?

Pete