/dist/images/branding/favicon

IS THE GIMBAL BALANCED?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Emdy Jones, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Emdy Jones

Emdy Jones New Member

I have the original cinestar gimbal with servos and I'm yet to fly it. It have radian stabilization installed on all axis. Does anyone to if it's balanced and save to fly?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Emdy, without the history of the gimbal it's hard to say for sure -- but I'm almost positive that the gimbal will not be in balance for the camera you want to fly with it.

You will need to balance it therefore.

There are numerous tutorials on ow to do this here: http://freeflysystems.com/media/tutorials.php

Andy.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Did you buy it used? What camera was flown with it? What camera are you planning on using?

4. Emdy Jones

Emdy Jones New Member

Dave I'm planing on flying a red, but I want to do a custom build because i find it's cheaper. The rig is brand new but from last year and we've been able to fly a GH2 on it without any problems. I got the following new accessories to upgrade it.

-550 carbon fiber boom x 8
    -Double Quadro 2XL
    -(4 pairs) 16x5.5" Carbon fiber props
    -Flight Control V2.5 ME

That's what I have so far. For motors I'm considering the KDE Direct 4012XF-400 based on some recommendations here (I would still highly appreciate your inputs regarding these motors and any better options i may have).

For the gimbal, I'm not sure how to go about converting it from servos to brushless, using the same carbon fiber booms that I currently have. I'm also not sure what will then be needed for stabilization of the gimbal , like Andy mentioned above, the Radian Stabs. is out of date.

Is it also possible to get the system to work with DJI accessories for gps positioning and stabilization or would that require replacing the entire control boards?

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I suggest you read through Dave’s build thread (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/my-new-mk-heavy-lift-copter-project.3091/) and mine (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-8-upgrade-for-medium-heavy-lift-8-10kg.3079/), too. Both of us have taken slightly different approaches for flying different camera packages. There’s a lot of information in there. But at the end of the day, you’re going to have to do a bit of experimenting and be prepared for some trial and error. The alternative to that (especially for the camera gimbal) is to purchase a ready-to-roll gimbal like the MōVI. But obviously it will cost you a lot more. You just have to determine how much you value your own time. My thoughts in this area have evolved, as is documented in my build thread.

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

So you are using a standard cinestar 3 axis gimbal that as flying a GH2 and now want to fly a red. I would recommend looking at something like this
    http://brushlessgimbals.com/p/8780320/aerial-flex-af-10-v2---fully-assembled.html
    Every gimbal needs to be custom balanced to that specific camera setup. Even guys that running the same cameras wont be setup exactly the same way because of lens choices, batteries, and accessories. You need to know how to balance a gimbal and then set the CG of the gimbal after its balanced.

Too early to tell, stay tuned.

See above answer

What do you mean get the system to work with DJI accessories? What system are you referring to?

7. Hank Perritt

Hank Perritt New Member

Andy:

Sorry for not fitting this into the thread just right, but we're trying to connect a Zenmuse H3-3d gimbal to a Cinestar 8 HL, and can't figure out the connections. Can't you point us to a resource? There's tons of stuff on hooking up to a Phantom, but nothing we can find for hooking up an MK FCB 2.5 to the CS-8 HL

Hank

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hank: Hmm. I'm not quite sure I understand specifically what you're trying to do -- is it just to use an MK FCB 2.5 as the flight controller for the CS-8 HL? Or are you trying to use it as a gimbal controller?

Andy.

9. Hank Perritt

Hank Perritt New Member

Andy:

Sorry for not being clear. The MK FCB 2.5 is already functioning as the flight controller for the CS-8 HL. Now we want to install the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and have the same FCB control it as well. The channels are available on the transmitter and on the CS-8 receiver. It appears that the FCB has available channels for at least three servos. The dilemma is how to connect the FCB servo outputs to the servo inputs on the gimbal.

Hank

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hank:
    Oh...now I understand the question.
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Zenmuse gimbals....is there a DJI forum where you might be able to get that info?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Andy.