/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone,
    I thought I would make a new build thread post for my upgrade I am doing on my CS8. My current setup is:

Full MK Electronics (MK FC, BLs, GPS/Navi)
    Motors are the QC3328 swinging APC 14x4.7's
    Batteries are the QC6200 4s running 2 in parallel.

We have been getting a lot of requests to start flying a RED and we decided to drop the money and do an upgrade to be able to efficiently fly one. The other issue is living in Phoenix even with just a 5dMKII we were running at extremely high temps and have effectively destroyed our batteries and have now had to replace 4 motors. The electronics just don't like the heat here! My goal was to be able to build a heavy lift copter that would easily handle a RED but also allow us to fly with a 5D and keep the temps down during the summer. The catch was I wanted to keep the MK FC, Navi/GPS boards. As you know there are very limited options out currently for running a MK FC with other ESCs since the MK FC only works with the I2C interface. My options were to go with the VERY expensive AeroDrive 8 board, the Herk V2 board, wait for the Herk 3 board (Which after talking with the guy who is building it would be almost as expensive as the AeroDrive Board) or go with a I2C-->PWM converter.

After talking with a bunch of different people on a few different forums, it seems that there are a good amount of people running this I2C-->PWM converter board without any issues and still getting very stable flight. I decided to go this route until a new, awesome, and super stable FC board comes out... ;)

Here is what my new setup will consist of... (P.S. I need to give a huge shout out to Marc from E-One for helping me decide on these parts)

-Motors: Tiger Motor MT3515s
    -ESCs: Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 50amp (will update with the latest MultiRotor Firmware)
    -Props: Xoar 15x5's
    -Batteries: Turnigy 8000mAh 5s 25-50C (I will be doing some testing. I am thinking I will be able to run single batteries with the 5D and still have some good flight times then run dual batteries with RED to get good flight times. Or Ill just run both all the time so I have the redundancy of two batteries... yeah I'll do that). :D
    -Precision I2C-->PWM Converter
    -Misc: 500mm Booms to handle the bigger props, adjustable tilt bar for Epic, 200mm side gimbal booms, new LED light strips for the new booms

All the parts have been ordered and should all be arriving within the next week or so. I will be posting pictures/video/ect as I progress through the build.

I am planning on using the leftover parts from my current setup and purchasing a second CS8 frame (Hoping I can just order the frame without the booms since I will have all my booms from my current setup) that way I can have a backup copter to take on shoots for that "Just incase..."

Im super excited and can't wait to start the build!

Josh

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea to start a thread on this topic, Josh. Keep us posted (and upload images as the build progresses, please).
    I don't think you're alone in the "I wonder whether to build a heavy lifter" club....

Andy.

3. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Josh,
    I'm starting to think just like you... upgrading to a biggerstar :)
    Let me ask you one thing. Why 500mm booms and not the 550mm ?

4. Josh Lambeth

I don't have any need for the 550 booms. The 500's will work just fine. I don't think I would ever be running 16inch props.

Josh

RcHeliPilot likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh yeah?
    Oh yeah?

:)

BirdsEyeProd likes this.
  6. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Have you ever though of the 4010 navigator, thinking of going this way.... And also would go with the 550 not only for the big props but, you can always cut but never mend.... Let us know hows going

7. Benjamin Rowland

Looking forward to seeing the results.

8. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Now we're talking! A doer! this is officially my favorite thread.

9. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Second that!

Now with the Radians out and working, is this not what Tabb should be doing ;)
    I´m sure the day he reveals his Cinestar XL the order list will be looong.

10. Howard Dapp

I gave up waiting on Tabb ;) Josh is my new hero. We'll call it the CS 8 XXL - BirdsEye Edition

11. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

There is nothing wrong in having two or more heroes. :)
    I dont think Holger is sitting idle either ....

12. Howard Dapp

Yes, there enough room for many heros! Let's pray Holger is in the laboratory!

Josh, what kv are those MT3515 motors? Are they 400 or 650? I'm seeing both KVs for the same motors.

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Josh, I have been very happy with those motors and esc's for the last couple months on a CS6, now moving them to a CS8. It's been so lovely to have long flight times and a cool running system again. Also nice is the data logging ecs's to troubleshoot and make sure everything is ok.

14. Alex Gower

Alex Gower New Member

Good luck Josh!

15. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Someone just jumped to the end of the line! :p

16. Josh Lambeth

I have the 400KV versions.

I will be picking up the ESCs tomorrow and I am hoping that the different parts are going to start arriving in the mail tomorrow as well! Can't wait!!!

Josh

P.S. I like that name... XXL BirdsEye Edition... :D

17. Howard Dapp

Yeah I can't wait either! Will be interesting. Tabb's back in the #1 hero slot after announcing the carbon RED replacement parts, sorry :)

18. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Where do I find that info?
    Please give us a link.

19. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Should have went 6s Josh! I have the setup your currently building but am using 2 6s 6600's in parallel...can i be someones hero? lol

20. Josh Lambeth

I would have but I can't run 6S with the MK FC.

Just updated the original post with pictures. IT'S CHRISTMAS! :D

I also threw a couple comparison pictures so people can see the size difference with the motors and batteries. I also included a picture of the Precision I2C-->PWM converter. The thing is really tiny!

Josh