/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly 2014 NAB Newsletter

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Michael McVay, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken QC's HL kit is essentially a stock cinestar frame with upgraded electronics and motors. Freefly has not released any improvements to their original frame platform. What I have done to strengthen my CS8 kit is to use metal clamps on all 16 spots on the center hub for the booms and I also use one pair of metal clamps for the motors on the outter slot. I noticed a big improvement in the center hubs sturdiness. YOu can get metal clamps from China pretty cheap.

I also modified my frame to run 2 seperate battery plates that mount to the booms which lowers the center of gravity and brings it back to the center hub which is a huge improvement for anyone that wants to run the real big 10,000 QC lipo batteries.

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  2. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

10/4... Thanks Dave!

3. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

got a question on the M15... i have a M10 and i been dying to have a 2nd battery cage...
    and based on my observation, a symmetrical battery cage is definitely possible.
    in the movi15 video, it sort mentioned that there will be 2 cages for battery...

does the movi15 upgrade also include that feature?

a 2nd battery would do much wonders to all the gears we secured on the movi system.

4. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Personally we need more power for the Movi. The current batteries do not last long enough when the rig is working hard. (and we are working it very hard).

Perfectly balanced. Fair payload.

Battery life is not long enough. Can we fit in and power off two of these Lipos… or even better, allow us to power the MoVI off proper V Mounts, so we can get the battery life, and not scare the AC's with potentially exploding Lipo's...

5. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Lipos aren't exactly the type of battery you want to leave in the camera truck charging overnight.

6. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Every camera assistant on large productions needs to be able to leave batteries charging in the camera truck overnight. Or in the hotel room. Or in the studio. Or in the rental house.

Freefly needs to consider what will happen if there is a fire in any of these places.

The fallout will be costly and significant.

We need a safe, professional, industry standard battery system.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

M15 has two batterie holders, one on each side of the pan tubes. Power is still pulled from battery. Second as a backup or to power other devices. Plenty of power on the show floor for a loaded Sony F55.

8. Dan Walker

Dan Walker Member

LiFePO4 batteries have nearly the same power density as Lipo, and a MUCH stabler chemical configuration. If you use a charger that automatically cuts the charge current when the battery is full, the risk with LiFePO4 is very near zero - though nothing is perfect.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dan all chargers that we use have voltage cut offs when full charged. Drawback for LiFe batteries is the end of capacity is very abrupt. One minute they are working, next they are done. One of the reasons they are not used on multirotor copters.

Chris Gerding likes this.
  10. Dan Walker

Dan Walker Member

Understood, however we're not talking about using them to power a copter, this discussion is about the Movi batteries.
    Use a LiFe in a copter and you at best destroy a copter, and at worst kill someone (or many someones). Run a battery our in a Movi and all that happens is you lose a take. This can be mostly mitigated by using some kind of current meter and not exceeding the capacity of the battery.

11. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

I haven't received any email and was certainly a pre-order….any update?

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

This thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...and-new-controller-pre-order.3936/#post-43986Hey All...There is clearly quite a bit of interest and confusion around the release of the M15 Upgrade and the new controller. What I can tell you now as we work to finalize the details is that we want to thank BOTH our M5 and M10 early adopters so the final plan will make some accommodation for both groups in one way or another. We will send out an email and post here soon to clarify all the details for the M15 upgrade and the controller. There is nothing to sign up for now, no list or queue to put your name on. We appreciate everyone's patience and we will post all the details as soon as we have them in the coming weeks

13. Raymont Stüssi

Raymont Stüssi New Member

Hi Gery,
    are the M15 gimbal motors the same like the M10, or are the stronger?

Raymont, oversees

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Eden Gebert

Eden Gebert New Member

is there still the possibility to upgrade the m10 to an m15? aren't the motors stronger on the m15?

16. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member