/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Firmware 3.07 for MōVI M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Easiest seems to be what Andy did. Start from Dropbox on the Android. I did it a much worse way. The app needs to be on the 'SD card' in a folder for the Freefly Configurator app. But at on my Nexus 7 the operating system does not seem to allow you to see or manipulate these App folders. And that is the extent of my Android knowledge. Sure isn't a PC or a Mac ;)

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

I also went Dropbox route (Nexus) and the process was straightforward. Multi-color status bar during the upgrade process is a nice touch ;)

Greetings
    Adam

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Default settings are 0 stiffness for all 3 axis. With stiffness settings >0 and no balanced camera, the MoVI could possibly get damaged so we decided to make that change.

4. Chris McKechnie

Ok got that APK file on my nexus. Thanks Andy.

Now I keep getting failed to update firmware. :-( Tried restarting MoVI, tablet, app, etc.

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Sometimes wifi can interfere. Try turning wifi off on the tablet. Also, is your firmware file in the correct folder on the Android device?

6. Chris McKechnie

Do
    Do I have to create a new/specific folder? If so, how do I go about doing that? Sorry for these questions. Not a PC/Tablet guy. haha

7. Chris McKechnie

I'm to the point where it sees the APK file within the app, I click on it to start the process, it prompts me with saving my settings, then it says it's going to flash the firmware. Then it says failed to update.

8. Chris McKechnie

Just did it via the mac. For whatever reason, couldn't update via my nexus tablet.

9. Chris,
    Are you absolutely sure the firmware file is located in the root folder "firmware"?
    It may be a little different depending on the brand of Android tablet you have, but after updated to the latest Freefly GUI on my Samsung Android, the path to the Freefly firmware folder was the following... My Files/storage/emulated/0/Freefly/Firmware.

Chris

10. Chris McKechnie

Thanks Chris, I'm all set. Just updated with my Mac. :) Appreciate all the help guys.

11. Ok. Great. Glad to see the Mac worked. Maybe my post will help someone else.

Chris

12. Michael Elsegood

Hi guys

Just wondering how may of you have updated, and if you have found the new firmware to be solid.

I generally never flash new firmwares for a week or two, and check to see if anyone reports issues incase there's something nasty in there before I update..

But I have a job Monday where I especially need the "Tilt remains in last known position in the event of radio signal loss" feature as I have been having big issues with this 'flutter' back to majestic position for a moment during a shot..really ruins the shot.

My next question, if there was an issue w new firmware on set, is it possible to revert back to old firmware?

Its Great to see a nice new firmware addressing things discussed here on the forums. Thanks Tabb & crew.

13. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I'm in the same boat, we're 2 weeks into an 8 week feature and I could really use some of these updates. Is reverting to the previous version possible?

14. Igor Bondarev

Igor Bondarev New Member

Motion Booting & Shaky Cam
    - I can not see how these settings work .. Please help explain. Which mode (remote or majestic) they possible?
    thank you

15. James Michaels

James Michaels New Member

Ok, so with this new update, every time I turn the MoVI on it's going to be at 0? I now have to manually enter each setting I've had before? If so, I guess I can deal with that, especially with situations like you mentioned in changing cameras/damaging the MoVI, etc.

I'll admit that ever since I updated the firmware I've been unable to get my MoVI to behave. Each time I power it up, with the camera balanced as best as possible, it blinks one green about 5 times, then it goes to all three green solid. But the MoVI doesn't initialize like it used to right out of the box. Nothing. I have to then manually enter the settings in the Android, each time I power it up.

Am I doing something wrong? I hope so! :)

What's the process to turn on? Balance camera, turn tablet on, turn remote on, then turn MoVI on?

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Two key parts to these features. Motion booting works while gently moving.. it not meant to boot while your running. You still need some amount of stability for the MoVI to initialize. Motion booting relaxes the need for ultra-stable initialization.

Shaky cam only works while your moving. It takes the movement of the MoVI unit and adds an amount back into the stabilization.

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

This isn't any different than before. You have to write your settings to the MoVI otherwise it will boot with the previous settings written, which in this case would be zero on all stiffnesses. If you didn't do this before then your stiffness settings were always really low at the factory default of 10,10, and 5 every time you turned the MoVI on.

18. James Michaels

Ok, granted, I'm still a noob with this. When I rented one a couple weeks ago, every time I balanced it and turned it on, it automatically initialized and did its little twitch, and I was able to shoot with it. I didn't have to enter anything unless I wanted to make tweaks. When we bought our own a week ago, we took it out of the box, balanced a camera, turned it on, and we were ready to go. Once I did the firmware update, now when I turn it on it just stays limp; no twitching, no initialization. Do I turn the tablet on before the MoVI so it remembers the settings?

I'm probably missing the obvious right now, and I apologize, but something seems 'off' since my prior experiences.

19. You do not need to turn the tablet on before turning the MoVI on. You should always successfully initialize/boot up your MoVI before trying to connect to the Config app and/or the Spektrum transmitter. Repeating what Brad mentioned, you were probably experiencing the previous app's 'default' settings, which are now different in the new version.

20. James Michaels

Those default settings in the previous app actually being default above or below 0, compared to the new app's settings being default at 0?