/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI as Budget Cable-Cam

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ryan Hamelin, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey guys,

Thought some of you might appreciate the rig we tried out today for an upcoming music video.

It's not much more than a standard zipline kit from any major sporting goods store, a few high quality traveling pulleys, a C-Stand arm, and some cardellini clamps.

Obviously you can pay for much more expensive rigs that have built in motors and can reach incredible speeds with precision, but for us this budget solution seems to be working out just fine.

I'll check back in and post the footage from the actual shoot as soon as the music video is released.

-Ryan
    MoVi Gimbal Owner/Op
    www.climbinghigherpictures.com

Chris Gerding and Ozkan Erden like this.
  2. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Nice...:)
    I built one just like it last summer. Same exact trolleys! Works like a charm.
    I also threw some geared motors on it and viola you have powered movement as well.

Look forward to seeing the video

3. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

I'm interested in where to buy the trolleys. Can you help?

4. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Only issue you might run into with this setup is an oscillation on any axis perpendicular to the cable. If the whole rig swings and the movi stabilizes it, it could cause it to swing the other way, then the movi stabilizing that... and back and forth.
    If you can add a kenlabs mechanical gyro to the system at the cable attach point it will prevent that from happening. A gyro will also improve the stability of the Movi because it gives it something to push against.
    The footage looks pretty darn good in your case, so maybe it's not always necessary. Nice job! (and you got a good workout :))

6. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Brad, can you post up a link to the geared motors you used?

7. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

As promised, here are some selected shots from the music video. All the footage was shot with a RED Epic on the zipline rig we tested earlier.

I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Also here's the final video, which incorporated a dana dolly and a host of other shooting techniques to get all the shots they needed.

8. Nice work Ryan!!
    It would be great to see some footage of "the making of" if you have it
    My only feedback is that I found it a bit distracting to keep watching the normal speed to slowmo switch within the one grab - meaning I would rather just see a full speed grab and then cut to a slowmo grab etc.
    Take care!
    Barry