/dist/images/branding/favicon

Top Handle Vibrations

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Christopher Aran, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Christopher Aran

Christopher Aran New Member

This may be a stupid question.
    When i tune the motors, Pan, Roll, Tilt, I dial them until they oscillate then dial them back down until they stop. This is after a perfect balance. When i hold the rig wide, with the side handles its great. When i then grab the top handle it shakes like crazy. While holding the top handle i fine tune the motors to stop the shake but then the motors don't seem strong enough to remove a slight horizon shift. Any other explanation why that might be happening?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Christopher this is normal. You have more human damping with the two hand hold. Suggestion is to do initial tuning in the stand with final tuning in the operating mode (two hand, one hand, attached to a copter, etc).

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Unfortunately this is standard. I really dislike it.

So, you tune everything to maximum potential for a two handed shot, then put it on the flimsy stand and it vibrates like crazy…. looks like the equipment is broken to the casual observer.

Or, want to change to a single handed operating for a quick shot, or even partway through a shot… well, you can't because it oscillates.

Again, thats rubbish.

So, the solution is to tune it down so that we are not getting the above oscillation. Which I guess means that we are not getting the most stable results.

4. Chris McKechnie

I have found that even tuning down the motors so it doesn't oscillate when it's sitting on the stand, I still get incredibly stable footage with a perfectly balanced rig.

5. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

I have the same problems, a very rare oscillation but only in the pan motor. At the end, like Chris, my footage is really nice and stable. I'm constantly checking my sitffness settings, it´s the only solution i think. Depending on how you are going to operate the movi, set the stiffness of all the motors, like Gary says.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The technique that we use is to go into kill mode on the transmitter when putting the MoVI in the stand. There is no need for the motors to be powered up while its in the stand not in use

7. Chris McKechnie

But then wouldn't it have issues initializing when you turn it back on and the oscillations are happening?

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

It initializes before it gives power to the motors.. thats a function of turning the MoVI on by plugging in the battery and powering on the rocker switch. If you use the Spektrum transmitter and use the mode switch to go into kill mode while the MoVI us running, your only cutting power to the motors. Its still on and its still initialized (since you didn't depower to unit, just the motors).

It saves battery, allows you to change lenses, check balance, and be able to get up and running again with the flick of the transmitter mode switch.

Jair Guillen likes this.
  9. Chris McKechnie

Cool, I'll try that. Thanks!

10. Ben Ruffell

It's a nice idea, but on a busy film set with 40 to 60 crew on standby it is just not practical to kill it on the rocker switch and wait for the boot up.

On the Spektrum, yes, sometimes, as long as you are using the dual operator mode. (personally the Spektrum is a bulky hobby controller with way too many delicate switches and a really crappy joystick…. I am looking forward to a more professional option that is tailor-made for film professionals).

11. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

i totally agree. one more point, the spektrum controller metallic surface is far too reflective especially when used in conjecture with a monitor outdoors. Would love a cotroller with a smoother less twitchy feel + darker matte surface finish.
    any alternatives?

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ben, I think you misunderstood. I didn't say kill it by turning it off, I said use the mode switch on the transmitter. It takes longer to pick it up off the stand than activating the motors by the mode switch.

13. Ben Ruffell

Cheers Brad, but I understand what you are saying.

What I am saying is that the transmitter is often not right by the stand. Especially if you are moving quickly on a big set. It may be in a gear bag for instance, or back at a monitor etc.

The joystick is twitchy, and is basically a bit crap. I say this having experience with operating many hot heads and stabilised systems. There is a lot of room for improvement. (I don't want wheels for this application), but currently, the Shotover Camera System has the best joystick in the market by far. Once you have operated that… the others are a disappointment.

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ahh.. now I understand. We operate in dual mode almost exclusively.

15. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

I have an idea that someone can try. No one wants to add weight to their Movi, but in single or one hand operations if you had some weight on each of the hand grips (not the center one) it would give the handlebar some needed leverage against the higher gains that you normally would run if using the Movi by holding it with two hands. Set the gains for two hand operation and then strap two one pound weights on each handlebar grip and see if that is enough weight to stop the Movi from oscillating when using only one hand with the center handle. It may take more weight with heavier cameras and higher gains and less weight with small cameras and lower gains.

Wayne Mann

16. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

This problem drives me insane and confuses the hell out of DP's and AC's.. I really wish there was a solution to it. I end up leaning 1 side handle on my leg while im holding the unit with the top handle between takes.

17. Chris mierzwinski

Wish there was a killswitch on the Movi. Perhaps a nice small upgrade to run the switch into the unit..

18. Bwe Weston

Bwe Weston New Member

Sorry to resurrect, but I have only just started experiencing this on the M10. Actually we have been running the same setup for months without any issues while using the top handle but just last week I have started getting the oscillation.

Varying the tilt angle of the rig will reduce the shake. Christopher did you have any success or any solutions?

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

In this case you probably have a loose mechanical connection somewhere. Ensure that all bolts are tight and haven't loosened over time. Also ensure your clamps are adequately tight.