/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power Solutions M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Kevin Winkler, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Paul Christopher Greene

Hey Andy,

Thank you kindly for your insights. We have spent many hours wrestling with trying to mount an AntonBauer brick to the side of our epic but after the side plate and battery plate + battery it's about 3millimeters too big to fit the M10.

While we prefer robust film tools and rigging, it's obvious ever gram and every linear and cubic mm matter to keep the camera rig from interfering w/ the gimbals motion so were looking at the entire equation fresh.

Our ideal desired config is a single power source w/ best power to weight ratio (lipo?) that runs everything, although we understand it may make more sense to run a couple power systems. Hoping you might weigh in ;)

MoVI
    Epic
    RT Motion transmitter w/ 2 motors
    Paralynx arrow + (w/tomahawk when released...might require more power than arrow+)
    Paralynx receiver
    Small hd day bright monitor

Options:
    2 FFthumb wheel controllers

The idea was (is?) to run the MoVI and small hd monitor on one system so we could use wireless video to the local monitor allowing completely untethered mobility of the gimbal as there'd be another system powering the camera, transmitter and FF.

Now wondering if a single battery solution is even possible and if so what small thin flexible wire(s) from frame to camera might be necessary and if so which protocols use the thinnest wires reliably.

There are so many options and limiting factors lol. Truly a work in progress. Thank you for any ideas towards building the most efficient professional rig possible.

PCG

2. Paul Christopher Greene

Hi Andy,

We're wondering if using Lipos to power Epic, FF & video transmitter may be the only truly viable option as AB mount seems currently impossible & V mount carbon plate Tabb wrote about is still not shipping.

What do you think? Thank you verily much...

Best,
    PCG

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm going to have to defer to others on this topic? Maybe Ben H? Or Tabb? Or some of the other forum members more deeply knowledgeable in this area.

I'm coming to the MōVI from the multi-rotor copter side of things, so I don't have enough experience to give you valid answers, Paul.
    Sorry about that. Recently, there's been an alarming increase in the numbers of topics about which I know nothing!

Andy.

4. Cameron Michael

if you don't mine me asking how are you attaching your dp7 to the remote? thanks!

5. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Eric, where did you find the information on the DP4 USB power output being .5 amps? I'm curious also if the same is true for DP7. Thanks in advance.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The USB 2.0 Standard calls for 500 milliAmps of power. Some vendors provide more, but that would be the default. The DP4 specification does not specify the maximum current draw, but I've found SmallHD support to be very responsive.

Andy.

7. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....I think SmallHD realizes that people want to hang power-hungry devices on the the monitors. That's why it would be worth checking with SmallHD. (I did get off my rear end and check the DP4 manual, but there is no information regarding the max. current it can source.)

Andy.

Eric De Fino likes this.
  9. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Hey Andy,
    Is there any reason I couldn't change the jst to deans on the freefly d-tap cable? I keep all my lipos as EC5 and Deans.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

No reason at all Sam. The Dean's are rated at higher current values than the JST -- so in this context, the Dean's would be overkill, but the electrons don't care. :)

Andy.

11. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

One more question for you Andy. Can the red rock micro wireless follow focus be powered from a 3s battery? it says 12v-18v. What happens when the 3s battery voltage drops from 12.6 to 11.9?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That I don't know, Sam. I'd speculate that the follow focus would not work well, but I'm going to have to defer to more knowledgeable forum members on this.

Andy.

13. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Thanks Andy! One last last question..I am using the nitrous aires pro wireless transmitter and receiver. It is almost identical to the paralinx system. The transmitter says it needs 5v 1amp. Is it ok to use the paralinx USB d tap regulator that pushes 5v 2amp?

14. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I'm sorry, Nyrius Aires Pro

15. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Sam,

I like Nitros better - it really helps before the turbo kicks in. Yes, to your question though. The Paralinx regulator that allows up to 5v 2amp works great with the Nyrius. The Nyrius only draws what it needs - that is 1amp. It's just higher voltage that would burn it up. So anything over 5v would hurt it.
    All the best,
    lael

16. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Sam,

We don't recommend it. 12V is the lowest we recommend going, and we like feeding off the higher 14-16v that comes out of an unregulated D-Tap or even 4S lipo battery.