/dist/images/branding/favicon

T-motor MN4014-9: anyone tried these on Cinestar ?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Johannes Thor, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Johannes Thor

Johannes Thor Distributor

Hi,

I am curious whether these motors are usable on the Cinestar. Maybe someone already tried them ?

Regards
    Johannes

2. Graydon Tranquilla

Yes.... many are using MN4014 motors of various KV ratings..... check out MultiRotor forums....

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Quadrocopter tried them and they found the 4012's better which is why they have them in their heavy lifter kits.

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  4. Graydon Tranquilla

Good feedback.... I just ordered up 8 of the 4012.....400KV

5. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

What motor do you think is the best for heavy lift with a 4s system?

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

4S doesn't really support heavy lifter motors. TO build a good heavy lift combo you need 6S as the foundation and then the choice of a good motor and prop otherwise you will just be spinning your wheels.

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  7. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

To stay with 4S you would need very big props on a large motor like a U7 490. Their specs indicate you could get about 20 pounds of thrust (@ 50% throttle) on 4S but would need to be running a flat octocopter (no room for efficiency loss of an X8) with 17 - 18 inch props. That would be a very large rig! Definitely a better option to look to 6S like Dave said. With 6S, I have a very small X8 - 400mm booms and 14 inch props that flies at 20 pounds. It does not get real long flight times, but it is very small and something I can keep with me for still photography and the occasional unexpected need that arises.

8. Graydon Tranquilla

Its a laws of physics thing..... to keep the efficiency up as high as possible and at the same time, keeping the motor weight minimized requires the motor to be designed for higher voltage.....

9. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Th
    Thanks so much for all the info, what motors and what size battery's and props do you use on your x8?
    What payload are you using?
    Thanks so much; do you get good flight times?

10. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Jason. I do not get great flight times on this X8 because I am using a single QC 6S 10,000mAh battery and only spinning 14 inch props...on the ground in 7 minutes with 30% capacity left. This rig was more for daily convenience of having something with me that is small at all times for when I end up needing it. I fly Graupner 14x8s on it so the extra pitch helps offset the short 14 inch propellor. This one flies Tiger U5s with a 2 axis brushless gimbal and a Canon 5D or 6D. I had originally hoped to use 350mm booms, but with a 2 axis gimbal the landing gear was pushed in too close to the center to be effective. Even with the 400mm booms the landing gear is still pretty narrow. Since its an X8 the bottom propellor needs to just barely clear the landing gear. Going with stock CS8 booms (450mm) would allow for a 16 or 17inch prop and you could widen the stance of the landing gear and lift more weight. Hope this helps point you in the right direction for what you are considering.

11. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

IT is all mathematics and correct aproach.
    1.) Maximum vs Hoover trust must be around 50%
    2.) Eficiency must be as high as possible.
    3.) with 4120 400kv you Will get about 3300g off trust per motor in okto with 16 inch propelers. coax 10% less okto with 16 inch Will be huge. On coax 17 inch are doable but not recomended with loads over 60% since the motors Will overheat in high temps.
    4.) 6s for high pole motors is a must and for low KV
    5.) esc dont like the high pole motors, suggest that you build it with herkules III esc power board
    6.) Use slowfly propelers, not apc or similar plastic sh.t
    7.) Total trust is 24kg so uav around 12kg Will give you about 10 min with the 6s 10000mah batery
    8.) 14 inch is way to low and motors are overspining, Hoover is way up in 70% and single motor failure could result in uncontrolable copter (more chance when voltage is down to 22v).
    9.) So this spec are for no heavy lifter. Just a normal copter with potential longer flight capability.

Hope i made some pointers that Will help you decide and build the copter.

Steve Maller likes this.
  12. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Wow such great info guys, thanks again,
    Currently I'm flying x8 ,with aerial media pros 2814 motors
    2 6000 4s packs at. 12lbs AUW, does that seem to be ok ?
    It flys great so far

13. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

YOu have max trust 8x2.2kg which comes to 17.6 and lets say about 10% coax loss that comes to 16kg or 33lbs total trust.
    If your total weight is 12lbs to 16 lbs you are fine. TOtal is fully loaded with camera.

14. Graydon Tranquilla

Dejan or others.... Whats the deal on the Herkules 3 powerboard? I need a scientific understanding of the reasons for something so complex when the ESCs are supposed to manage all motor speed issues!

15. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

I Will try to write the HERKULES information down but this Will take time.
    Its like comparing the 10 years old car vs a brand new high tech car.

The main difference is that the esc are all (AND I MEAN ALL) just a variant off normal plane or hely esc. Never intended to control the speeds off the multirotors. THis is just a firmware and now some hardware changes to try to support multis.
    Herkules is made only for MR-s. Will post info soon

16. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Hi Lanzar, i''d love to buy the Herkules controller, i've had my eye on them for a while, I just don't like the 4-in-one design. I recently had a minor crash which resulted in a flip that produce physical damage to my flight controller, killing it, even with it housed in a protective enclosure. If I had the Herk controller surely it would have been damaged.

My boom mounted controller suffered no physical shock damage from the crash.

Are there any plans to produce single independent controllers for mounting on arms?

17. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

4 in 1 design is actually better since off all the added stuff that can control all for from one place., And no need to extra power board for 300 eur and less magnetic problems ....
    And i think over 1000 boards produced and no problems so far. 2 boards so far with 1 problem on 1 esc out off 1000+.
    Well you dont crash if you have herkules unless you do a pilot error. But even crashed ones were salvaged.
    More later