/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Airborne Settings / few quirks

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Chris Jordan, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Hey guys! We got the Movi airborne finally and just wanted some input on the footage. There is a bit of shake. What gains could I post for you to start with? This was all remote operator mode.

Side note, as other have posted, in majestic, it pan creeps to the right over time.

Cheers!!!
    Password: movi

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

What copter/camera are you using and what stiffness settings? Looks to me like pan stiffness is really low and the others may be a bit low.

3. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

unfortunately at the moment I am NOT with the Movi and won't be until tomorrow, but I can tell you that it's an X 8 configuration with 15 inch blades and its a red epic. I have a battery mounted on the epic that weighs a pound, and I'm using a lens that is 1.5 pounds.

4. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Ok I am here in Spain with Very limited service, so I hope some one can help soon! We start our shoot tomorrow....

As of right now, if I turn up any of the top 3 tuning settings it get oscillation. (Tuning: Pan 52 roll 50 tilt 31)

Here are our current settings:
    Airborne mode:
    Tuning:
    Pan 52
    Roll 50
    Tilt 31

Majestic mode
    Pan Smoothing 14
    Pan Window 12
    Tilt Smoothing locked
    Tilt Smoothing 23
    Tilt window 10

Remote Operator Config
    Pan Joystick Smoothing 5
    Pan Joystick Expo 10
    Pan Joystick window 8
    Tilt Joystick smoothing 9
    Tilt Joystick Window 10

Pan/ Tilt Remote Speed: Combined

Map Remote mode 6
    Map Remote pan -2
    Map Remote pan rate 1
    Map Remote tilt-3
    Map Remote tilt rate -7
    Map Remote roll trim -4

Expert gypro filter 5
    Output filter 5

THANK you so much for your help..

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Our Epic setups usually have stiffnesses of Pan 100-130, Roll 60-80, and Tilt 50-80. If your getting oscillation at such lower stiffness settings then you most likely have an out of balance situation. Your video appears to have a low Pan stiffness and at 52 plus being out of balance that makes sense.

Can you upload a video of your setup showing the balance? Show tilt, roll, and pan being put in any position and remaining there.

6. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Yes i will right now thanks so much!!

7. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

So I am clearly doing something wrong. I'll swallow my pride... ol. I've been balancing gimbals for years, so when it acts like it does here i am confused. It gives different responses to movement each time the same motion is gestured. When watching the graph monitor, I was at zeros across the board.
    Password: movi

8. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

This is a useful post but how the hell do you legally fly over houses and busy streets? It's my understanding that it's totally illegal in the UK, maybe different where you are from? I'm really concerned at the number of showreels being created by commercial operators who are totally bypassing any legal obligations. ONE accident and we are all up shit creek!

Sergi Medina likes this.
  9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Seems you have something shifting around somewhere. Either something attached to the Epic, the Epic mounted to the camera plate or loose bolts somewhere on the tilt axis of the MoVI itself.

Also, the main problem has been the Pan axis. Can you post a video showing that balance?

10. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Mitch, I know my neighbors, and they love me, and I live in the land of the free? lol. If fact, a majority of them come over when I fly. It's a block party!

11. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

My Movi settings for Epic are in the same range that Brad listed so something is certainly amiss.

12. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

ok guys here is what yesterday looked like.
    We are flying an X8 with 15x4.5 on top and 16x4.5 on the bottom. The heli has zero oscillation, and is very smooth and responsive. We have the Red Epic, Canon 28mm lens (only 7oz) and a zippy 5800mah battery on the gimbal.

We balanced the gimbal for an hour and were able to turn gains up to
    Tuning:
    Pan 90
    Roll 80
    Tilt 51

Here is a video of us showing pan balance as requested: Pass: movi

Then we noticed a ridiculous amount of shake, even though everything was balanced, and we decided the issue was the Freelfy legs. They are like tuning forks, adding a shockwave throughout the whole gimbal. when being held, there is zero vibration! I could turn the gains up to 110, 95, 65 without and vibration... but as soon as we let go..... so gains went back down to 90, 80, 51 which still introduced vibrations when the camera was aimed anywhere but straight forward, even when balanced. When the legs were held, we could pan and tilt any direction full 360 and NO vibrations. These gains are at 90, 80, 51 in this clip.

Here is a video showing the vibration, we added gaff to try and see if it would help (enough to keep pan in balance on each leg: (we have the freefly Landing gear extenders on)
    Pass: movi

Not sure what to do. The legs are extremely frustrating, especially since we are in Spain on a huge job and can't get our gimbal to deliver....

Now on to in flight issues:

With the gains turned up to as listed above, here is the footage we got. It was extremely erratic with it being somewhat smooth maybe 10% of the time, often dropping or returning to majestic on its own, and sometimes pan flopping around, all with as little as 2 dots on movi battery, 3 for all shots up until the last one.

Here are the clips:
    Pass: movi

I stayed behind today, loosing a full day of shooting to see if I can sort it out here online with you all. I know you are all asleep right now, as it's only 3 am in PST time but I hope to hear from you soon after you wake up. thank you Freefly for being so attentive, as without the support this would be even more of a nightmare. Cheers and again, thanks.

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Chris, I know this is frustrating but its hard to diagnose without being there. Your first step of pan balance looks good. Is it also balanced in the other direction? Not shown in the video.

While your right the gear legs do act as a tuning fork, you should still be getting higher stiffness settings. If I hold the legs here I can get higher numbers than I posted above but of course we don't fly this way. Same as when your stiffness settings are lower in the stand vs holding in your hands when shooting handheld.

Can you double check Pan balance is good in the other direction while I think of some other possible causes

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Your pan does not look balanced to me. It looks ever so slightly rear heavy.

I remember reading about someone who had problems with the RC controls while running the tuning software. When you did those shots was it running?

15. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Another thought. Could any part other than the MoVI be causing issues? Do you get this type of footage when you use the MoVI in handheld configuration with the standard setup? You said X8 configuration. How are you mounting the MoVI? Is it a converted Cinestar to X8 with the standard vibration isolators?

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris we need some photos of your setup please. Closeups of how it is attached to the copter.

Have you hung the copter with the MoVI attached and checked the overall balance of the rig? I usually do the MōVI by its self, hanging it from the the center of the pan motor. While you have done all of the regular balancing it still needs to be hung to see the affect of the landing gear and placement of peripherals. You may end up needing to tweak the pan balance.

In your one video you show it hanging from the handle but that isn't on center with the pan motor.

If your copter is in balance, hanging without the MōVI attached, and you balance the MōVI by itself, when you attach the two together you should still have a balanced setup.

17. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

and really dangerous... you should never have general public, buildings, traffic within 100ft of a UAV operation. Especially since your in the US which does not offer any liability insurance. And if your insurer states you do, and you have an incident, you will loose in court since its not approved be FAA - so please be smart, a Red Epic falling out of the sky can kill someone!