/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question Re: lipo battery cell balance

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brad Seals, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

One of my Lipo's just charged in a different fashion. One of the four cell equalizer lights on the charger would blink from time to time.

Tester shows:
    Cell 1: 4.01
    Cell 2: 4.00
    Cell 3: 4.22
    Cell 4: 4.21

Is that amount of load difference reason enough for concern?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Brad:

I would certainly treat it with some suspicion. Cell 2 may be telegraphing that it's about to fail, so keep an eye on it.

Out of curiosity, have you stored the LiPo for lengthy periods fully charged?

Andy.

3. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I have been discharging it to 15.4 for storage. Curious though that it was the light for Cell 3 that was blinking.

4. Mike King

Mike King Member

Have you been using the Freefly charger to charge them?

5. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

6. Mike King

Mike King Member

I thought so - thought I'd ask. The same thing happened to me - same numbers on my Lipo's. There was an earlier thread where this was happening to someone else and he posted a video of the charger flashing. Someone advised to get a balancer as maybe the Lipo's was unbalanced. I ordered on via a link provided but it showed up with no jst connection or balance tap. While I was waiting for it to show up I charged another battery. They were both 3.80 +/- 1 going into the charger, but we're coming out with your numbers when done. I'm thinking maybe a bad batch of chargers went out. I also noticed the charge light would turn green from one side, but still red when viewed from the opposite side. I've since purchased a new Hyperion charger from quadcopter and the batteries are back to normal. I'll send you the link later when I get back home if you'd like.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. There goes that theory....that's the correct thing to be doing.

Andy.

8. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

Mike: I forgot to mention that in my post as well - the charger light was amber when viewed from above and more red when viewed from the side (if my memory is right). This was using a Freefly charger I bought from Abel Cine as a backup. I am going to be shooting tonight so I will mark that battery and see how it behaves. Please send me the link for the Hyperion. I am getting a little tired of buying backup batteries/chargers/everything but such is production life. Thanks.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think the charge light goes amber (aka Red + Green) while it's in the final stages of charging. Just a working theory I have.
    Because I've come to the MōVI via the copter side of things, I use a Hyperion SuperDuo to charge all the LiPos (flight, gimbal, and MōVI).

Brad: Here's the smaller Hyperion: https://www.quadrocopter.com/Hyperion-EOS-1420i-NET3-Balance-Charger_p_253.html
    You will need an AC to DC converter to power it though (or a car battery in the field): the smaller one of these is: http://www.amazon.com/ProgressiveRC-PS-PRC500-PRC500-Power-Supply/dp/B00CD9VJFG (QC used to carry them but don't seem to any more).

The Hyperion I actually use is more "industrial" and is here: https://www.quadrocopter.com/Hyperion-EOS-0720i-DUO3_p_251.html with this AC/DC converter: https://www.quadrocopter.com/eFuel-1200W50A-Power-Supply_p_1246.html (which drives two Hyperions).

You will need some banana plug to JST charging leads: banana plug jst charging cables

Andy

10. Mike King

Mike King Member

Brad,
    The charger I bought is this:
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/Hyperion-EOS-0606i_p_252.html

It's pretty cool as it's got DC clips built in and comes with a number of balance plugs. You could use your Freefly charger banana to jst cable, but I just bought this also:

http://www.quadrocopter.com/Octopus-Multi-Connector-Adapter-Charging-Cable_p_577.html

I come to this from the video side and I'm new to Lipo's, but trying to learn. I suspect the Freefly charger because I used it for about 3 cycles per battery with the same charging times, light displays, and success. It was only when I noticed that this was taking a really long time and the different flashing cell lights and odd red/green light. I thought the same thing as Andy - it's orange-ish and almost done, but an hour or so later - no luck.
    Mike

11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Has anyone seen a parallel board with JST plugs on it? I have a couple for the EC5 plugs, but haven't had any luck with a JST version ...

It may just look a bit neater compared with a harness?

12. Mike King

Mike King Member

13. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member