/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 and the C100

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Brent Foster, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Brent Foster

Brent Foster New Member

Can anyone tell us if the C100 is going to fit/work on the M5? From what I can tell, with a smaller lens, the weight shouldn't be a problem. Will the height be the same as the M10? Really hoping this will work! Thanks

2. Brent,
    None of the Canon C-series (100/300/500) cameras will fit on the MoVI M5. the MoVI M5 has a weight limit of 5 Lbs (2.2 kg). Factor in the weight of your camera/lens combination and if you decide to add additional equipment. Anything mounted on the top cross bar does not affect the weight limit on the gimbal. Camera size and shape are also a factor, not just total weight. The best option for any of the Canon C-series cameras is the MoVI M10. Best regards, Chris

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Alexander Sommer

Alexander Sommer New Member

Hi Chris,
    are you sure the c100 won't fit? The C100 Body is roughly 1kg. Adding Battery, Cards and lets say a 24mm EF Lens which is about 650g you would still be beneath 2kg...or am I wrong?

4. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Alex,
    I think will be the form factor, not the weight that is the issue ..... But we should see any moment now when the first images of them start appearing ......

5. Alexander Sommer

Alexander Sommer New Member

Ok Thanks. Lets wait and see...

6. Alexander,
    I apologize if I was not clear enough. I can only refer you to the first line in my original answer above.
    Thanks,
    Chris

7. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to share these photos of why the C100 won't fit and operate the way the M5 was designed to operate. The most glaring issue is that the height of the C100 is too tall to allow for the use of the top crossbar in the camera cage assembly. This compromises structural rigidity of the camera stage. Remember that the M5 connectors are made out of composite material, not metal like they are on the M10, so there is going to be more flex. Think of it like the structural rigidity of a coupe vs a convertible car. The convertible will never be as good of a performer because the body flex prevents the car's suspension from doing its job well. This isn't to say the M5 is in any way poorly constructed, just not designed for this size camera.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 2.54.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 2.53.40 PM.png

Another consideration is that the side handle is a no go proposition so you'll have to have the latest C100 firmware in order to even operate the menus to control exposure.

Personally, I'd take Chris and the folks at Freefly's advice when they say the C100 isn't supported. That being said, you will you always have people who take an "If I sits, I fits" approach on this topic, much like this:

8. Brent Foster

Brent Foster New Member

Hey Mike and all,

I actually wrote Freefly to ask for my deposit back on the M5 specifically because it wouldn't fit/support the C100 which was the main purpose of me ordering it.
    Here's what they replied back:

Rich Spiess (Freefly Systems)
    Apr 24 10:05
    Brent,
    We discovered that the C100 will work on the MoVI M5 with the upper crossbar on the cage removed. We didn't think it would work but it works great!
    Check out this video from our training partner AbelCine.
    http://blog.abelcine.com/2014/04/01/at-the-bench-freefly-systems-movi-m5/
    Thanks,
    Rich

9. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I thought the cross bar was to compensate for the fact that a lot of DSLR and similar cameras do not have the anti-twist pin or hole. They only have one screw to secure the camera to the plate and as a result, they can shift over time. The top bar and the hot shoe allow the camera to be secured such that it wont twist.

10. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

What about just slipping rods in that are slightly longer, so that the upper crossbar can fit again? I know this would increase the weight slightly, but only a few grams. If anyone wants longer rods, just send me an email to jason@CinemaOxide.com

11. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Jason, that prospect certainly crossed my mind as the fit is close on the C100 with the stock rods. I know there are a lot of ingenious DIY oriented folks on this board. Because of our situation on the rental side of things we like to keep things as close to 100% stock and follow the mfg. suggested applications to the letter. If we could get a reversal of Chris's pretty clear statement in this thread I'd consider the issue put to bed.

I can't tell you how many times I have this conversation a day about the M5. We're always looking to make sure that when customers take something they've rented with us into the field they're setup for success. Most of the time we're able to take some extra time to go through the process of pre-flighting their camera/lens/gear setup to spot trouble before it happens (i.e. cabling interference, or clearance issues). It works far better for us and our renters that way.

12. Hi Mike,

At the time Chris made the statement, it was 100% correct. The M5 was not originally designed with cameras like the C100 in mind. As would happen with any of our products, early adopters experiment and push limits and it was discovered that without the top section of the cage and with a limited lens selection, you could in fact use the the C100 with the M5. I am not sure that I would consider this a full reversal of Chris's earlier statement but I am hoping this provides the answer you are looking for.

13. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Thanks for weighing in Denise. If you were to define the criteria for lens selection that would be great. We've got just about everything on hand here if I could help you guys figure that list out. We've got nearly every Canon "L" lens, and would be happy to help.

14. Hi Mike...We don't really define lens selection for any camera since there any number of lenses on the market and we can't possibly test them all. The general guidelines for both the M10 and the M5 require that the lens not push the rig over the weight limit and that its size (length) allow it to be balanced properly (allowing for the right point of center of gravity). It is going to have to be more of a "try it out and see what others have been able to make work" approach. I am sure some of the folks who have made it work would be happy to post what has been working for them.

15. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Mike, I think for a rental environment you are doing the right thing. It would not be good business to modify the rig and send it out on rental jobs with people that don't know how the modifications have affected the rig, for better or worse. However, since most of the people on this board are owner/ops, I figure I would propose a *very* simple DIY, where you swap out the short rods for longer rods. I'm really not sure how well it would work, but I can't think of a good reason why it wouldn't work.

16. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I have used the Canon 24-70 on a full frame body with great results. The footage even at 70 mm is steady. It does take more control with majestic mode to move the camera around zoomed in. At some point i hope to try it on my 7D and see how much more steady I can get footage at a zoomed in view.

17. Ben Silberfarb

Ben Silberfarb New Member

I have been using the c100 with great success with the M5. Canon 24mm 1.4 and 40mm 2.8 glass have worked great - no balancing problems and all under 5 pounds. The new dual pixel auto focus mode is the main reason to use this camera here. Add the Zacuto grip relocator and some creative thought/mounting of grip and you can fully operate the camera solo (start, stop, focus and iris) which is what I'm going. I think a machine shop could easily develop a simple and more seamless mount of the grip relocator to the cross-bar ... ummm maybe I'll do that :)

Ben Lloyd likes this.
  18. Andrea Cecchini

Hallo,
    I wonder if there're other solution to extend the cable of my C100 side grip handle?
    I know there is a Zacuto Relocator or Arri HGA-1 but not cheap anyway, though B&H in the Eos C review they speak about a cheap iphone/ipad cable extension with 4 contact.

look at 2:42 minutes…
    Have you heard about it?
    seems very cheap solution
    Ciao

19. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

Haven't tried it myself but let me know what you find out. I'm using it on the M5 as well and would love to find a cheaper option than $300. Thanks!

20. Mike Staniforth

Mike Staniforth New Member

With the updated firmware you can map all controls onto the body now. Ive remapped Iris, ISO and WB controls so no need for the side grip whilst on the MōVI.