/dist/images/branding/favicon

MINI HDMI2AV and Magic Lantern

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Nick Adams, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I just replaced my old HDMI to SD converter on my gimbal as the hdmi 'in' had worked loose.
    I was recomended MINI HDMI2AV by Quadrocopter as it was sturdier and the other one was beyond repair. I recieved it today and have been trying to get it to work.
    I can transmit a video feed from my Canon 5Dmk (2&3) no problem but previously I was using Magic Lantern to fire my stills with the intervalometer feature. It worked fine before, I had set a short image preview time of 2 seconds on the camera then the monitor would revert back to live view after 1 or 2 seconds giving me another 6 or so seconds to recompose and shoot another frame.
    With the new MINI HDMI2AV it will show half of a scattered picture for a second then it goes to the full frame preview, after the image has been displayed for a second then it goes black during the live view portion. I have tried adding power from a USB that did not help. I have tried using a different monitor and I am having a similar problem. I have gone through every menu on the cameras several times and cannot figure out what has changed. Any clues anyone?

Thanks

Nick

(just read on a previous thread that perhaps I did not need the converter in the first place with these cameras;))

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick: Whether you need an HDMI converter all depends on whether you have an HDMI-capable video downlink. If you do, you are correct, you will not need to convert it. If you do not have an HDMI-capable downlink then you'll probably be downlinking composite video -- and in which case you will need to convert it.

From what you are saying, it sounds like you may need to contact Quadrocopter for assistance.

One diagnostic test you can do, though, is to take the HDMI output from the Canon 5D Mk II/III and feed it into an HDMI-capable monitor directly and make sure that it works OK with that monitor.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Does ML disable the composite video output on the 5D Mark III? That would be a bummer. In normal usage you do not need an HDMI convertor for the 5D Mark III; it’s composite video port is perfect capable of doing this for you. You just need the Canon cable, which is disguised as a mini USB on one end, and breaks out into video and audio on the other end.

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I think you can still down res the output with ML, its buried somewhere in the sub menus. I will give it a try.
    I'm presuming you are talking about the cable that comes with the camera? I haven't seen it since I opened the box.
    I will have to get looking:)

Thanks Steve,

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yes, that’s the one. Just cut off the yellow RCA Connector and solder on a JST or whatever your choice of connector for your system is.
    $T2eC16hHJF8E9nnC9cJSBQ3N+cr1ZQ~~60_35.JPG

6. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I have been messing with
    ML again and it will down-res the 'video out' to standard definition, only with the HDMI though. So I have been trying to get that working first but no luck, the screen comes on then goes blue, then static, then it will show live view for about a second then it will show the previous shot taken for a second, then it will cycle through again. I will try the other cable in the morning.