/dist/images/branding/favicon

Custom Super-Flexible RED Epic Monitor Cable for Movi

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ed Riew, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Ed Riew

Ed Riew New Member

Hey Friends,

Just wanted to let folks know about where to purchase a Custom Super-Flexible RED Epic Monitor Cable. We wanted to mount the RED 5" LCD Touch to the crossbars of our Movi, so that we could use the monitor to monitor and control the Epic. We discovered that we needed a much more flexible cable than the standard RED LCD Cable, as to not hinder the motors. We chose to make a 24" cable - it has a very delicate braided material to make it Super-Flexible. It is not the world's most durable cable, but its the trade-off for make it flexible. It works like a charm! Here's their info:

Alpine Electronics
    Tom - Wiring Expert
    www.alpine-electronics.com
    (408) 278-7171

Good luck!
    -Ed

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Thanks for the info, Ed. Do you have a ballpark price?

3. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Tom made me the first one. It took us some going back and forth, but Alpine was excellent to deal with and they hung in there until we got the answer. It works great! It was not cheap, but I don't think anyone else is making Red LCD cables. It IS very light and flexible. Like Ed said above, there is a trade off in that it is not the most robust cable. You can't have lightweight and flexible AND strength / weatherproof. Ok, well maybe you could have it all like Countryman's Kevlar mic cables but then to make that into a LCD cable I wouldn't be able to afford it. I'm currently out of the country, but will try to take a pic when I'm back.

lael

4. Ed Riew

Ed Riew New Member

The cable was around $350 + shipping.

5. Mike King

Mike King Member

6. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Got one of the ones from brushless. They are very good. Much thinner and more flexible than the custom 24 inch we had before.

Mike King likes this.
  7. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

From the picture, the one from Brushless does look much more flexible than the stock Red LCD cable. It looks comparable to a lightweight XLR cable. That still appears more rigid than the one from Alpine. The Alpine cable is SO lightweight and flexible that I don't even notice it in the balance or use. I wouldn't know it's on the MoVI except that I know I can't do 360s with the camera because of having a cable attached. The Brushless one does look a bit more weatherproof, but since I don't consider the rest of the MoVI weatherproof, I'm not really worried about that. Tom first made me one that was more robust. But I sent it back and stressed that lightweight and flexible were priorities over anything else. Thankfully, he came up with the current one.

8. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi Ed

Do you have a picture of this cable, did you connect the cable trough the MoVI system or is it following the motor control cables or is it just hanging lose. We're searching for a cable that we can attach properly to the MoVI so we do not have any friction on the head so we can run everything smoothly.

Grtz
    Kevin

9. Rob Seiffert

Rob Seiffert New Member

Hi Ed and Lael,

I'm wondering the same thing that Kevin asked above. I'm wanting to order a cable like this too and I'm wondering if either of you have tried attaching it to the Movi tubes with zip ties like the other cabling for the Movi motors? Or does it just hang down from the top bar to the camera?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

10. Ed Riew

Ed Riew New Member

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the delay. Here's a few shots of our Movi with Epic & the custom flexible monitor cable from Alpine Electronics. As you can see, its just hanging from the crossbar, which has been totally fine on shoots.

Attached Files:

Ikbal Arafa likes this.
  11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I've tried ordering the cable from brushless gimbals but they sent out the epic power cable,not the monitor cable, invoice is for the monitor cable ... On contacting them via email about fixing the shipping mistake ... No response ... Second email ... No response ... Third ... You get the picture

12. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Ed, isn't that just a normal touch cable with the rubber cut off? Does the metal mesh do anything? (ground etc?)

13. Ed Riew

Ed Riew New Member

It's not. It's made by this company Alpine Electronics. It does work great, but is not built very robust. One of the users on this forum has created another custom cable which has a nice coating, but still flexible. You can find it here:
    http://shop.slacklinefilms.com/products/red-touch-lcd-cable

Austin Glass likes this.