/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anybody used the new APC Multirotor props?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Matt Barker, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Shaun:
    Thanks, I'm working on re-testing the props (or I will be this weekend). I would like to increase the number of trials before I feel comfortable that the data is good enough to escape out into the real world.

What I have does that suggests that, at least for APC non-MR and MR, there isn't a huge difference (if any) between them in terms of thrust/watt.

I'm working on some responsiveness tests (that is rapid variation in throttle) to see whether there is a difference in terms of the likely stability when hovering, say.

Andy.

2. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Guys on the APC Multirotor props I wanted to add that now APC doesn't ship the props with the adapter rings you got to order them separately about $5 extra for 8 sets but better than this if your motors shaft are 5mm, 6mm may be other sizes, you can buy from Hiperion aluminum rings that fit perfectly the APC-5 hubs

HP-LPRING-EP-S5.png

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

With the proviso that I've only sampled a couple, the new APC plastic inserts don't stay in the MR props securely. If you remove the prop, more likely than not the ring stays on the prop shaft.

Jose -- do those aluminum rings fit tightly in the props?

Andy.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Andy 4 words....they fit very nice...they are made specifically for the APC-E hub which is the bigger hub found on the thin electric props and the new multirotor props if you look at the picture they come with a recessed edge for easier insertion into the APC-E hub I mean plastic vs metal they will not work with the Slowfly props the hub is smaller, I got mine at All e RC store in Arizona they come in bags of 5 rings
    this is one of those little cheap insignificant items for the copter that are a big deal in performance safety etc

IMG_2262.jpg IMG_2261.jpg

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice. Do you happen to have a link for them at allerc.com?

Thanks
    Andy

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi today I did a test of my CS8 after the conformal coating everything ok I also tested for the first time the new APC props with the metal center rings it flew very nice but I notice more heat on the BL Ctrl read out comparing to the Xoar 14x4 props the APC are 14x5.5

9. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Has any one tested the 15 or 16" props?
    Im wondering if they could give me more lift than my xoars? As they are quiet narrow.
    Can any one comment on their width vs xoars?

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I have a box of the 16" that APC sent me before they were released. I find them a bit heavy, lighter than the sf I presume but heavier than Xoar. Because of this I never flew with them.

Is there a final result on testing? What were the findings?

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have a set of the 16” APC MR props that I’m considering using on the upper motors of my Cinestar once I convert it to an X8. I’ve read extensively that coax multirotors work better with larger props on the uppers. We’ll see.

I’m using 14” APC MRs on my flat 8 config now. They work great.

12. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Ive been testing the 14" sf and 15,16" xoars on my x8, But the difference is minimal between those three props. I hover at 53% throttle with 14" sf, 50% with 15% xoar and 48% with the 16s. Im around 9.8kg total weight.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you'd care to send me a prop for testing, please PM me Howard. I'll do a thrust/rpm and thrust/watt curve on my test stand.
    It would be easier if you could send me one that rotates CCW when viewed from above.
    Andy.

14. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Sure, I'll give you the whole lot, I don't plan to use them and would be a shame to toss. I have:

4 14x5.5 CW
    4 14x5.5 CCW
    8 16x5.5 CW
    8 16x5.5 CCW
    4 10x4.5
    4 10x4.5

Or anyone who wants them, you pay shipping and I just have to find the time to actually pack them up and send. image.jpg

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'll be happy to take'm and test'm.
    I'll PM you my snailmail details.

Andy.

16. Andrew_Lewis_aka_LOTCP

I've been flying the APC 16" MR props on a 950mm CarbonCore Hex for 3 months now and today I finally gave up on them. I went from the 14x4.7 SF props and when I put these 16's on my copter started having a nasty yaw twitch in hover. MK stack with 2.2 upgrade. Descents are jittery as hell and mess up my shot every time. I've tried adjusting gyro-D all over and messing with other settings but nothing helps. These props seem to have too much mass/inertia for 3638 motors. I finished messing around today and ordered the 14" APC MR props but for tomorrow I'm re-installing the 14x4.7SF's. I fly a GrouseHouse custom 3-axis carrying a BlackMagic pocket with a 14mm Lumix lens. (2) 6500mah 4S.
    My impression of the 16" APC MR props are: they were quieter by a noticeable amount, they flew "harder" than the flexy SF props, flight characteristics were identical to SF props, amps were the same as SF props.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

18. Zubeyir Mentese

Zubeyir Mentese New Member

The 16 inch APC MRs are only $15 a pair. I'm particularly interested in how the 16 inch APCs stack up against the Tiger CF props which are 6x the cost. I think I might just buy a few pairs and see what happens.

Jason Herring likes this.
  19. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

AFAIK, the MR props aren’t a good match for the heavy lifters, as they’re not quite as sturdy as the CF and wood props. I moved to CF props with my big copter. I’d still use the APCs with a “regular” Cinestar, though.

20. Andrew_Lewis_aka_LOTCP

The MR props are stiff enough to stand on (almost), especially the 16". On that note, no longer have a frame that can swing the 16" so they are available.