/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

What camera are you hauling?

There seems to be more holding force when P value isn't so high. Try lowering your yaw P to 18 or 20 and raise your Power to 180-190

2. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

If the IMU is off been level it will throw the horizon off.
    When you pan make sure the IMU is level to the panning direction.
    6 point calibration has nothing to do with it.
    Bill

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Why the I value is 0?

Did you try to invert the yaw motor direction?

4. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I am using a GH3.
    The gimbal has the 5208 motors.

Bill I dont understand what you are saying, if it has to be level when panning how do you tilt and pan then???

I tried to set the I value low to make sure it moved slowly in order to help prevent it from bouncing off the rubber mounting rings.

Thanks for your help.

5. Bill Collydas

When you look the gimbal from the front, after is powered up, measure the tilt bar at both ends. Make sure they are even.
    It might look level but you have to measure it
    When the gimbal calibrates in one direction it is level but when it pans the level could be off then the horizon shifts to compensate.
    I wish I can draw to show you what I mean.

Bill

6. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Thanks Bill

Yes I understand what you mean now. I will give it a shot later this week and let you know if it helps.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not but it doesn't always do this, only with abrupt control on the ground (hanging from a stand) and more often in the air..

7. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Hi guys, I've got pitch and roll working ok now, but for the life of me can't get yaw to work with the 8017, I've tried 2.3 and 2.4 FW, same thing happens. It won't lock in position it just rubber bands back and forth no matter what the gains or inverting the motor direction. I have it set on 8khz but for some reason the 3rd axis board isn't noisy like the other two motor ports. e.g., if i plug a motor into the yaw port its silent, but if i do it to any other it is noisy.

I have done the 6 point calibration and can see that the roll and tilt are controlling the yaw movements some how, not just effecting it a little but completely controlling and over righting the actual yaw movements.

Im totally lost, I'm about ready to slap a radian back on yaw.
    Any ideas guys?

8. Precall

Precall New Member

here's another this one is 23lbs loaded.
    All motors are GB-85-1 Direct
    View attachment 4077 [/quote]

Hello All
    I've been following this thread since its beginning, and have built a gimbal using gb85-1 motors for all three axis, all direct drive.
    I was wondering, Mr Collydas if you would be willing to share your PID and power settings for this beastie, and firmware version etc. Also, could you tell me the number of poles you have been using for the GB85-1
    In fact, any tips would be greatly received!!

9. Bill Collydas

I'll be more than happy to,
    Are you using the RED?
    Those settings are for the RED.
    P=28-0.25-26 power 178
    I=25-0.10-22 power 170
    Y=23-0.18-24 power 160

Start with those and then fine tune. 4S battery.

Bill

10. Bill Collydas

Firmware is the 2.3b5
    and GUI is 3b4.zip

Bill

11. Precall

Precall New Member

Thank you very much, I will try those settings.
    I'm using the latest firmware and trying to tune yaw is a disaster!
    I am using both 5d and Red..
    How about the pole count in these gb85-1 motors? What number are you using?
    Thanks again for the help

12. Basile Collydas

Basile Collydas New Member

13. Precall

Precall New Member

Thank you Mr Collydas, I'm now in the ball park!
    only thing I need to work out now is why it sometimes breaks the loop and hunts around like it cant find where it wants to be.
    I should add that I am not using the third axis extension board, I'm using two boards, one for YAW the other for tilt and roll.

14. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I see a slight delay in yaw when trying to tune it. No. I"ve tried Yaw power up to 220 and Yaw P up to 50 it doesn't grab like tilt and roll do. I'm not sure if "follow" mode is intended to lock like the radian setup?

15. Precall

Precall New Member

everything now working as it should. All my problems ( chasing my tail during tuning, follow mode horrible, etc etc) went away with a new board.

16. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I’d be very careful about this gimbal. It says "Net Weight without electricals: 1.98kgs”. That’s fine, but those 8017 motors are really heavy, and probably grossly overpowered for tilt and roll based on my experience. If you look at the MōVI, its motors are a fraction of the size of the 8017s, and it has the same payload. Throwing huge amounts of horsepower at a problem is not always the best solution. That’s where Engineering comes in. Sadly, there’s a severe lack of that precious commodity in the DIY space...it’s a lot of plug and pray.

Gary McCready likes this.
  18. Jordi Cristofol

I guys, i folow you since the beginning. I´ve a cinestar CS8 with casttle 50 amp kw8 motors and xoar 14x4 (dji wookong m). The gimbal is a clone of the cinestar 3 axis gimbal that i´ve modified with 5208 motors roll and tilt and with one simply servo on yaw(no stabilized). Also i use Alexmos 2 axis control board. After several tests (8 months) still i can´t have a decent video. Now i ´ve buyed a GH2 and the stabilization still isn´t good enought (but the cs6 plugins make miracles). I´ve changed the o-rings (red-blue-black and combinations). Now i´ve tried to put less PID settings, here i´ve post a little video with the last settings. Today i´ve changed the settings (PID:R:22-0.22-34-160;P:21-0.19-25-160) but still i don´t have tested. when i test at home all seems to be perfect, but when i see the footage i see vibrations (isn´t from the multi i think, all is perfectly balanced, blades COG....etc), it seems to be from the o-rings, this is the reason that i´ve change-it.(In the video i´ve upload you can see that the combination of red and black o-rings produce lees vibrations on hight speed) Now i wear blue o-rings.
    Any PID settings? .Can you see something wrong?. Thanks Guys.

http://youtu.be/QiNoKfIXe_s

la foto 1.JPG la foto 2.JPG la foto 3.JPG la foto 4.JPG

19. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

That is what i thought. I want to fly (upgrade my Cinestar 3axes with radian) with GH3/4 until max D800 so the weight will be between 1 and max 2,5 kg. I am thinking now GB85 direct driven on Roll and Pitch and or also direct driven GB85 on pan also or maybe 8017 with belt reduction and change most of the plastic clamps into Alu ones. Will the belt drive 8017 pan a better choice or are the GB85 more than capable of doing 3 axes when you want to fly DSLR max (maybe Blackmagic Cinema tops).

20. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have no experience with belt drive systems. I am using all direct drive myself.