/dist/images/branding/favicon

Splicing a shutter cable for Nikon D4?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Chad Copeland, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

Using a 10-pin shutter cable and a standard servo cable, I need to splice a shutter cable for the Nikon D4. How do I do this? Is there a better way?

It needs to mount to the MoVi.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chad, this might get you started. You don't mention what you are using as a trigger. Also I would strongly urge you to only use official Nikon Branded connector cables. The clones are not the same dimensions and there is a good chance they will push the internal connector into the Nikon body. Pretty expensive repair. I use a Nikon MC-22 cable. On my setup pins 6 and 9 go into one wire and 3 goes into the second wire. When shorted (triggered) camera fires. Camera set to manual focus.

Attached Files:

Chad Copeland likes this.
  3. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I made one of these cables for my nikon d800 recently. Super easy. All you need is a 10 dollar 10 pin shutter lease cable from amazon. Even though there were 10 pins, there were only 3 wires when I cut the cable open. 2 are soldered to one wire and one to the other.
    You need this
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/RC-Shutter-Switch_p_595.html
    Here's the tutorial

If it doesn't work then you will need to try a different combination of wires. Message me if you need further help.

Chad Copeland likes this.
  4. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

-Wow! Thank you for this and providing a schematic! I'm shooting for Nikon USA next week and this just saved the day!

Question: When might the spare servo slot on the MoVi be updated to act as an aux for shutter release?

5. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

-Thank you for providing a video! I'm glad that the D800 and D4 take the same cable as I use both! The link was also very helpful! I can;t thank you enough!

Chad

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Be ultra careful with non Official Nikon cables. They do not measure to the same tolerance. ID, OD, pin diameters are different. May cause you to shove the internal connector into the camera body with the resulting repair bill. Lost my D800 for 8 weeks. Nikon ultimately gave me a new body. Raft of posts on the web about others. D4 is supposedly a bit different on how the internal connector is supported. Buy the cable with the banana plugs, MC22?, for a couple of more bucks.

7. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

Roger that. I'm only using the Nikon 10 pin cable!

8. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

What color is pin 9 and pin 3?

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Can't tell you since it is under shrink wrap on my connectors. But should be purple/wht to one pin and yellow to the other one for triggering.

10. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I have a shutter cable already built I bought to control my D4. I could take a picture if you still need.