/dist/images/branding/favicon

Rather Good Guide DVDs's video now available for downloading

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, after about six weeks of research, work, frustration, and finally, success, I've managed to get all of the Rather Good Guide DVDs' video converted over to high definition, downloadable MP4 files, found a new hosting service for them (gumroad.com), and created a new web site (thank you Sandvox). At last! No more DVD chapters, NTSC/PAL video standards, and customs duties! Just electrons -- and they can be downloaded from anywhere on the planet and played on Macs and PCs or any device that can play MP4 files.

(The DVDs are still available though -- there are links on the web pages.)

If you're interested in more information, watching a five minute video of each title, or even purchasing the downloadable high-def video files, click on the titles below:

A Rather Good Guide® to Building a Cinestar 6 or 8.
    3 hours 10 minutes, 22 files, 16GB.​

A Rather Good (Beginners') Guide® to MK Tool.
    You'll need this if you're running MK Electronics on your copter.​
    2 hours 24 minutes, 8 files, 3.25GB.​

A Rather Good (Beginners') Guide® to MK_GPXTOOL and Google Earth.
    This gives you the skinny on analyzing MK flight logs (GPX files) and playing them back.​
    1 hours 59 minutes, 4 files, 2.12GB.​

And, if you've got time to waste, there's also a blog on that site. You'll get a hint of my frustrations with Drupal, Joomla!, a glancing encounter with Carriage Returns, and perhaps a grin or two.

Thanks
    Andy.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Rather brilliant.

MIke Magee likes this.
  3. Scott Strimple

Great idea! For those who have purchased the DVD sets is there any way to gain access to the online source so an iPad or similar in the workshop can be used? Thx Andy.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Scott: I believe Steve's already done what you want and can advise on how to do it.

Andy

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks!

ALERT RE: DOWNLOADING VIDEO FILES
    I've started to get reports that sometimes the video software used to play the MP4s loses audio/video sync and then gets itself back together again. I don't think the problem is the video files, but I'm checking. We used Apple Compressor to create them because Adobe Media Converter didn't seem to want to make H.264 files at 1080p.

This problem is somewhat elusive -- you can play the same video file a second time and nothing bad happens. Sigh.

Andy.

6. Scott Strimple

Thanks Andy I'll check with Steve!

7. Steve Maller

Scott,

If you have the DVDs, there are programs available for the Mac and PC that allow you to re-encode a DVD into a variety of different formats, some suitable for mobile devices. I have both Cinestar Construction DVDs in MP4 format saved on my iPhone and iPad and I refer to them often. That said, Andy’s new HD format downloadable files are considerably higher quality.

I’ve used Handbrake for the Mac to rip...err...encode DVDs, and it works nicely. A little confusing how to get it just right for iOS devices, but it definitely works. As for Windows machines or other mobile devices, you’re on your own (but Fraulein Google will no doubt be of assistance).

8. Scott Strimple

Thanks Steve... Yup Mac the ripper works fine ... albeit pretty poor SD quality... I'm such a HD snob anymore these days..haha

9. Steve Maller

Sometimes old fashioned SD is just fine.
    I’m not so sure I want to risk the damage to my retina that several hours of Andy in HD might cause. :eek:

10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

These "electrons" are the best value around!

Scott Strimple likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I wear sun glasses with an ego filter clip-on when I watch the video. Last time I forgot and wore regular glasses I had to be surgically removed from the door frame as my head got stuck....

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  12. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member