/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spraying the mikrokopter boards

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Lauri Hakala, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Thanks Andy, Here's the most important paragraph that I found.

Urethane:
    Hard, durable coating that offers excellent abrasion and solvent resistance. Similar moisture resistance
    to acrylic and silicone, but significant shrinkage during curing and extremely hard film may stress
    components. Urethane is a difficult coating to apply and nearly impossible to remove. Rework may be
    accomplished by burning through coating with soldering iron (using appropriate safety precautions due to
    isocyanates in the cured film) on local areas, but stripping of large areas or whole boards is nearly
    impossible. Temperature range is same as the Acrylic above.

I guess I'll be re-ordering.....

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for that, Ryan. Appreciate it.
    Andy.

3. Claude Loyer

Claude Loyer New Member

bonjour Wolfgang,
    have you found what was the problem on your Navi Board?
    merci.

4. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi Claude, no, unfortunately not. I didn't use the board on my trip and didn't fly a lot recently either since it is currently forbidden to fly with a camera here in Austria.

5. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Hi guys, Im looking at water proofing my Herkules ESC for flying over the ocean, Im not sure which spray to buy, the Fine-L-Kote or the Turbo-coat? I assume these are better than Corrosion X because they actually dry, and won't attract dust and sand?

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Ryan, I’d be careful with the assumption that spraying your boards will protect them from any significant moisture. And the corrosive effects of salt water are problematic, too.

Personally, I’m looking at options for active protection, such as rain-proofing using a complete enclosure. I am really impressed with the cooling capabilities of the new MK Double Quadro 2XL board with heatsinks, so I’m less concerned about sealing up the electronics now. I do have a couple of small fans, but if I don’t have to use them, it simplifies things considerably. My initial flights with a decent payload have resulted in BL temps just 5-15°C over ambient temps, even under load and hovering in still air. With a decent amount of motion, temps are little different than ambient temperature!

7. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

So are you suggesting not spraying the board at all? I sit at around 15-20 degrees higher than ambient on my machine. What sort of enclosures can you get?

8. Steve Maller

Au contraire...definitely spray them. But don’t think for a moment that you can fly your copter through a significant ocean spray without risking a catastrophe.

Enclosures for Cinestars are non-existent. I believe I’m going to have to design my own. Vacuum formed...3D printed...CNC’d...something. I’m not sure.

9. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Ok got you, I will be flying over the water 90% of the time, filming fishing. So i just want to do anything that might help.
    Can you recommend me a spray? Did you use a conformal spray or a soft spray like corrosion x ?
    Ive seen a lot of good rc car stuff regarding corrosion x. Mind you it was all fresh water.

10. Steve Maller

Have you seen Andy’s scintillating document on spraying the MK boards?
    In all seriousness, it’s exactly what you need.
    http://rathergoodguides.com/document-guides/rgg_spraying_mk_boards_with.pdf