/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly HDMI | SD Converter

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tabb Firchau, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good luck, Chad. I was looking for mini-to-mini and I've not found them (they're officially called Type C).
    Let me know if you find any, please.

Thanks
    Andy.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chad the KW HDMI is a full size connector. The Freefly HDMI is a Mini connector. Most cameras are Mini though Micro's have started to show up.

3. Chad Johnson

Chad Johnson Member

4. Chris Bates

Chris Bates New Member

Hi,

I have 2 Freefly HDMI converters, both are now not working.
    On one of them, one day it just stopped showing the power LED and thus no longer does anything, and on the other one, the HDMI port has come clean off, even though I've always been very careful about removing the HDMI cable, and in fact 99% of the time, the converter has been attached to the vertical gimbal tube, with the HDMI cable zip-tied into place, so that any movement from the cable does not cause stress to the HDMI port. The other day I removed the converter and pulled the HDMI cable out, and the port came clean -off with the cable. Given the tiny connectors on that port to the circuit board, a simple re-solder from me is not an option.

I'm a little cheesed off, as I have hardly used either of them and they are not cheap - I've probably spent over £250 on these, including postage etc.
    What system is in place to get them repaired / replaced? I am based in the UK.

For now, I am using the white-cased HDMI to RCA converter from ebay, but I have questions as to the reliability of that, too.

Any solutions much appreciated.
    thanks

5. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

Looks like I just encountered the same issue that everyone else is running into and I am NOT happy about this. The freefly HDMI converter died on me the night before leaving on a major international job which ended up forcing me to rent a paralinx arrow locally costing me several hundred bucks on this job.

System: Panasonic GH3 > mini to mini hdmi cable > freefly converter (5v from radian) > to 400mw 5.8ghz TX > 5.8RX> 7" LCD Monitor

Issue: Rainbow bars / "no output" on ground station

Tested:
    GH3 > Freefly Converter (w/ 3 different cables) = Rainbow bars / "no output" on ground station
    5D Mkii > Freefly Converter (w/ 3 different cables) = Rainbow bars / "no output" on ground station
    Apple TV HDMI Output > Freefly Converter (w/ 2 different cables) = Rainbow bars / "no output" on ground station

GH3, 5D Mkii, Apple TV (Using same cables) > HDMI Input on ground station monitor = Perfect picture

I have re soldered all the connections, confirmed 5v output from radians and tried multiple cables from multiple sources.

I have tested everything with no luck and I need to know if there is a fix for this issue or what I need to do to get a replacement or refund from Freefly. I have only had this item for 4 months and have taken extreme care of it.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry to hear about this Drew. I'd suggest opening a ticket with FF by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com.

(In case you're not aware of it, Gary, Brad and I, as moderators, are volunteers not FF employees, so that's why I'm suggesting you do the above.)

Andy.

7. Tommy - KnightDesignDev

Yes... this happens.
    You have torn the pads off the PCB and permanently damaged the unit. it is not repairable.
    The issue is the weak and poor mechanical connection of the connector to the PCB.
    We have 2 per each gimble, because these failed - then I applied my Mil / Aero spec tricks to them via bonding.
    When you get your new one, you will need to get some EG ( Electrical grade ) epoxy.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the best for this application - DP 460 EG - and bond around the connector.
    DO NOT TRY TO USE LESSER GRADE EPOXY !
    It is made for this application, it will not get into / or interfere with the connection, unless you screw up the application.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HDMI CONVERTER TUTORIAL
    View a demonstration on how to troubleshoot the FreeflyHDMI Converter on out test bench.

8. affas

affas New Member

My first was dead on arrival, the second one died after a short while. Connector broke off... A long time with waiting and I even got to pay extra tax on returned product.

Bought a cheap China version which has last for almost a half year with excellent results.

1/5 of the price and totally stable

Alf Hansen

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. Luis Velasquez

Hi some One using hdmi converter for a sony nex 5n thanks
    I sow some links here but I like to now which one is better.

11. Dave Hipkiss

Dave Hipkiss New Member

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my latest FF HDMI convertor. I say latest as back in April of last year my first one just died - stopped working, kaput... After consulting Andy Johnson Laird on here, I ordered a replacement and it has had light use since then and working fine through my Iftron Mondo Xtreme downlink > Yellow jacket Pro set up.

Firing up my FF HDMI convertor for the first time in about a month (weather has been terrible in the UK) I'm now having the following problems. I've changed nothing on the system since I last used it.

Problem 1:The HDMI convertor output now says NTSC output. despite the little widget thing that is supposed to change it to PAL being in place. If I remove the widget, it stills says NTSC output. Now If I REPLACE the widget it comes good and says PAL output.

All well and good you might think, until I power cycle it and the problem arises all over again. Meaning every time I power it up it is outputting NTSC, not very useful here in the UK.

Problem 2: 'no input' is displayed on the colour bar output of the HDMI convertor. I've verified the output of my camera (GH3) by hardwiring it to an HDMI monitor so I know that is outputting a good signal, I've tried it with 2 different mini HDMI cables still no input, I've even tried a different HDMI source from an alternative camera to see if that was the problem, no difference.

Any advice very much appreciated. I can see others have had a number of problems with their FF HDMI convertors as well, so advice of where I can contact FF a refund if it's gubbed would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance

Dave

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave send a note to your dealer to see what they might do for you since it may have also died.

13. Dave Hipkiss

Dave Hipkiss New Member

Thanks Gary, I guessed as much - will do. I was just reading on another thread that they've been discontinued, how are you getting on with the Kopterworx HDMI convertor? I'm guessing that'll be my next one!

Cheers and thanks for your help.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I have that one and it works fine.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My two Kopterworx converters are still working fine.

Andy

16. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Is there a US-based reseller for the KW convertors, or do you have to buy them direct from the KW guys?

17. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Mine outputs NTSC as well even though PAL is selected every time I fire it up. The solution is to recycle power. Not very reassuring but until now it has worked. Need to get a Kopterworx one as a backup.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not sure if there is now a US distributor -- I certainly bought them direct, but that was some time back.

Andy.

19. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Another old thread that I'm digging out of the dirt...

I have a FF HMDI converter, hooked into a stinger and yellowjacket pro receiver, but I'm not getting any image. I appreciate there are a few steps in the chain that could be going wrong. I haven't found sufficient manuals for any of these components.

I'm getting a flashing red led on the HDMI converter, and a flashing orange light on the Stinger Tx. At the moment all I've really got are pretty lights. Can anyone offer any troubleshooting advice, or point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
    Mat

20. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Ah, I didn't notice the twelve proceeding pages before I made that post--it looks like these units weren't the most reliable. Nonetheless, if anyone has any clue about the flashing lights on the HDMI converter or Mondo Stinger, I'd be grateful.

Mat