/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 6/8 Landing gear wheels

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Took me a while to locate these, but they are good for putting on the ends of the C6/8 landing gear to provide softer contact with the ground -- and being sponge they don't make for bouncy landings. They also, conveniently, have a 3mm center hole and are very light.

If you have the recent landing gear with two M3 bolts, you can just remove the top one -- it's only there for the CF landing gear extensions, I gather. I seem to recall using an M3 16 or 18mm bolt with these wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Airplane...312455892927094&_qi=RTM1084480#ht_1727wt_1066

Thanks
    Andy.

Fabien Rubio and Scott Aubuchon like this.
  2. Morgan Friedland

Just ordered a set. Thank you!

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Allow a few weeks for delivery, Morgan. They come in from mainland China.

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  4. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd wondered about those, but the way I land, (a.k.a. controlled flight into terrain), I wasn't sure they'd take the strain. ;)

On a more serious note: I seem to do quite a few shoots where the shooter wants me to do a long, low, out-and-return straight line move -- sometimes as much as 200 yards away. I was wondering how to improve the visibility of the C8. The black CF merges all too easily with the shadows of trees, hills etc. in the background and I don't like to use FPV in those circumstances when the C8 is only 20 feet AGL. I was wondering about using florescent material (tape/paint) on the landing gear for that. Obviously, with the 3-axis gimbal it couldn't usefully communicate orientation. Anyone else done something like this?

Andy

6. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Like this Andy...? The Yellow is in fact really Fluo... and i confirm that i can see my CS back, up to 200 meters with no problems...

gimbal1s.jpg IMG_5148s.jpg

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, Marc!
    Is that paint or tape?
    That's what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks
    Andy.

8. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

It's fluo tape Andy...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Marc. I've got some nice flou orange gaffer's tape that should do the trick. It's wide enough that I can just lay down one of the landing gear sides on it and cut it to exact size.

Thanks
    Andy

10. Mikko Kosonen

Mikko Kosonen New Member

We use red and green tape on booms, red fin and white/green/red lights to improve visibility. Nose boom is red (tape and led strip) and it has white 12 led cluster inside the boom so the white light is visible only when the front boom is pointing towards us. Same thing for three tail booms. Green tape with led strips and two led clusters inside the booms. This time boom leds are red on the left side and green on right. This is very very helpfull and somebody may notice that light orientation is same as in real planes. For me as a pilot its normal configure and I dont have to guess which way the C8 is flying or pointing, I just look do I see red/green/white light or both. With this setup we can get very long distances without any problem. I think the longest distance was approx 400m and highest altitude approx 1500ft and the chopper was easily to seen.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Could you post some images of your copter? It would be good to see it.

Thanks
    Andy

12. Mikko Kosonen

Mikko Kosonen New Member

Sure, I can take some photos tomorrow but we have some pics on the fb. http://www.facebook.com/AviaFilmsFinland/photos_stream you can find a one picture about the lights. The point is to find very bright led cluster which shows the light forward, not to the sides. The fin is also quite handy to break symmetrical profile.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks. Any chance you can tell me the part numbers for the LEDs -- I'm trying to solve the same problem but have not found appropriate LED clusters. The fin is a good idea too -- might even be able to use a fourth Cinestar landing gear with florescent tape on the sides.

Andy.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's a clever idea. I'd heard that some folks run the motor wires down the outside of the booms and cap off the booms at both ends so the booms form a flotation device.

Looks like you've also got some foam spheres on the landing gear too?

Andy.

15. Mikko Kosonen

Mikko Kosonen New Member

We used hk's led clusters and here's the link for the white one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17189__12_LED_Cluster_WHITE.html. Get the red and green too and hot glue them to the booms. 36 extra leds draws some power from the battery so maybe a small lipo for the lights is worth of consider.. We only use lights when we need them, otherwise the fin and colored booms are enough.

Here's the fin http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...al_Vertical_Fins_Trex_700_Nitro_Electric.html

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the information AFF1.

Any idea what kind of current those 12 LED clusters actually draw?

The solution to the battery load would be to use an LED flasher controller that pulses the LEDs. I've been looking around for a suitable one but no luck thus far -- several circuits for making one, but I was looking for an RTF LED Flasher.

Andy.

17. Mikko Kosonen

Mikko Kosonen New Member

Hard to say, but I think they're quite common led's so maybe a 20mA per led? Those clusters are really bright so could be more than 20mA/led..

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks.

And, just for grins, I've ordered up a set of these. They should be easy to install on the booms at least!

It will be interesting to see how they compare!

Andy

19. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

I was gonna mention that to you Andy. I go to work at 5am and is pretty dark but I can see that biker coming towards me about 3 blocks away. He has a strobe in front of the bike and you can't miss him.
    I will go to the local bike shop and see what they have.

Cheers

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. The red LEDs are easily visible in bright sunlight from 100 yards away. The white LEDs are visible, but not quite as much as the red ones are.

Andy.