/dist/images/branding/favicon

झलक [jhalak] - backpacking with MōVI 10 through India

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Tim Sessler, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Hi everybody -

In December I backpacked through India for a few weeks and brought my MōVI M10 along. It was a bit crazy as I was taking trains from city to city and ended up not even storing it in my backpack any more. It definitely attracts A LOT of attention :)
    At the same time its an incredible tool to get steady and cinematic shots in the good old fashioned run'n'gun manner - shooting through the open door of a train at full speed, inside a tuk-tuk or bicycle rickshaw, walking etc. Shots that would be impossible with a steadicam, glidecam or other stabilization system.

Here is the short piece that I cut from some of the footage. All shots - besides the aerial opening and closing shot - are filmed with the MōVI.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Cool concept. The B&W fits perfectly and the motion is a great twist. Having spent time in India I can remember the full senses of being there.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Beautiful Tim!

4. Tim Sessler

Thanks guys!!

5. Jacob Schwarz

Jacob Schwarz Member

Do you have pictures of how you backpacked it around?

6. Tim Sessler

Not really unfortunately. For the first days I had it packed in between my cloth in a 65 liter Deuter backpack (the stand strapped to the outside of the pack). But then I realized that those moments driving around in Tuk-Tuks and the train are some of the most valuable ones. From that moment I just started having it ready to shoot at all times. For short rides I would just keep it on at all times, for long train rides I'd set all the gyro values to 0, as I had some problems initializing on the shaky Indian trains ;)

Here are two photos of me shooting in India.
    At Kumbhalgarh Fort http://instagram.com/p/hqzbRMBXgX/
    And in Old Delhi in the market: http://instagram.com/p/h3dYf4RaZd/#

And here is the only photo that I could find that at least remotely shows the MoVI while traveling. Hint: its under the bed - the only place were I could sort of hide it during a 12 hour overnight train ride.... fun experiences! :)

IMG_3473.JPG