/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA Regulations

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Charlie Cushing, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Charlie Cushing

I'm looking for specifics about how people are able to navigate the current FAA Regulations for someone flying a helicopter commercially?

I understand the regulations for RC aircraft as I've been a pilot for 20 years. However the regulations for commercial aircraft basically make it illegal to fly.

I've heard of some people giving their flying service for FREE and then charging for their edited footage, sounds like a loophole, but does it work?

There are obviously many of you doing it commercially, any suggestions on how do this and navigate the current FAA rules would be greatly appreciated. The FAA has even admitted they won't be ready by 2015? Thank you for any help.

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Charlie, I think you might have the wrong forum. All the members here are law abiding citizens just having some good ol' fun flying hobbyist toy copters.

I do think it's pretty amazing that you've been piloting aircraft since the age of 8. Explain to us how you managed to get around the age requirement.

image.jpg

3. Charlie Cushing

There is no age requirement by the FAA or AMA.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Howard’s implication up above is that in the USA there’s no safe and recommended way to operate a UAV commercially. Which is not to say that nobody’s doing it. It’s just that those who do so and fail to keep a low profile are being singled out by the FAA with cease and desist letters. So should you decide to pursue that avenue (and you should not), you’re on your own.

And nobody in their right mind is going to be posting here (publicly searchable forum!) about their commercial exploits.

Charlie Cushing likes this.
  5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or as Raphael Pirker is finding a $10,000 fine and associated legal fees (unless the Ny legal team is doing it pro bono). Though while he was flying commercially he was fined for careless and reckless operation.

6. Charlie Cushing

Thank you to everyone for the feedback.

It's obvious most people on this forum are flying these helicopters commercially, but maybe officially they're flying as a hobbyist? There are ways to do it, thought this would be a good place to find people in the business willing to help. For those not comfortable with posting on a public forum I understand and would hope than anyone willing to help could private message me, thanks again to anyone willing to offer their assistance.

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

There was a multirotor shot used for hire on the movie Prisoners. It was obvious it was multirotor because the scene was two boats in a river doing a corpse search. The aircraft was following the boat under a bridge to a small levy. I contacted the DP and verified that they used at second unit. They are not on the credits, so that must mean they are doing it under the table.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Charlie: Please check your inbox (top right hand corner of the screen).

Also, just in the interest of correctness, you cannot get a student pilot certificate unless you are at least 16 years old. That's not to say you cannot be younger and fly the plane, but you cannot get the certificate. See http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/

Andy.

9. Charlie Cushing

Andy, to fly RC there is no age requirement with the FAA or AMA and there is no license or certification needed to fly any RC aircraft. I contacted AMA and asked and that is what I was told and all the years I've been an AMA member all that was needed was a check to pay the membership each year.

Flying a full scale aircraft is an entirely different situation requiring licenses and training through the FAA.

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Sorry Charlie, I assumed you were referring to being a full scale aircraft pilot for over 20 years.