/dist/images/branding/favicon

Okii follow focus controller for Canon

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by Sebastian Meredith, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Just found this online. Anyone using it? Thinking if using it?
    Looks great, especially the price. It utilizes the USB port of the camera. How could this be adapted via a TX RX control system?

http://www.okii.net/product_p/fc1.htm

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Not clear how it mounts on to the 25mm tubing of a MōVI? Did you see any clamps that might do it, Sebastian?

Andy

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I emailed to Will at okii.net and he was very quick in responding:

The FC1 has a 1/4"-20 threaded hole on the center of the back plate. The MC1 has 1/4"-20 threaded holes on the top and two sides. Unfortunately the only clamp we offer is for 15mm rods, and cannot be adjusted to fit something as large as 25mm. However, there are several adjustable clamps like this one on B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968689-REG/impact_atom_clamp_with_1_4_20.html. Something like this should work for your use-case.​

He also responded to a follow up email of mine:

One of the products I've been working on is actually a wireless version of our controller. I posted a picture of it just last week on the Okii facebook: https://www.facebook.com/okiisystems. Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a release date at this time. It's still going through firmware revisions and testing. Unless you need direct control as the operator of the MoVI (which I could see the MC1 being good for), a wireless setup is probably going to be much easier since you won't have to worry about the USB cable trailing off the unit to a second person, etc.​
    Focus pulling with a USB based controller generally isn't smooth enough for most people's tastes due to the motors in the lenses, so this is something else to keep in mind.​
    In case his last point is not clear, it's a product of the Canon USB protocol which moves the focus in discrete steps and the step size varies depending up on the lens that is on the camera so you cannot do a smooth follow-focus.
    Andy.

4. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Thanks for the investigative reporting Andy! Much appreciated. ;)

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

By "motors in the lenses" he's probably referring to certain EF lenses whose focusing rings are fly by wire, not mechanical, like the 85 and 70-200.

6. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I have been using the Okii Follow Focus for years. While it may not be as smooth to focus, it has worked fine for me for most of my situations. Its light size, nice price point and quick setup is great, as well as the ability for me to be able to remotely control the camera. I have used it primarily with the Canon 16-35, 24-70 version I and II, 70-200, 50 1.8, and 1.4. I upgraded my fixed 50 because the accuracy of the 1.8 was horrible.

7. Matt Williams

Matt Williams New Member

Hi Nicolas, I know this is a very old thread, but hoping you might the person who's able to help me! I bought an OKii recently to make usin my Canon DSLR on a gimbal easier and was just hoping if I could ask a question from your experience with it? Were you ever able to find a way to make it work whilst recording? So for example you can use it to change the ISO while in standby, but as soon as you start recording you can't change the ISO. Just wondering if you know if there were ever any firmware updates of solutions to this whilst it was in production? I would contact OKii but it looks like they've closed down and their website is offline. It's frustrating if there's not a way to do this since with the Zhiyun Crane 2 you can control all the Canon DSLR functions WHILE recording.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give!

8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Sorry I am not getting back to you until now. I haven't logged on in ages.

I used it all the time with a 7D, 5D MK III and briefly with a 5D MK IV. Due to autofocus on MK IV working better then what I could get with manual focus I felt no need to use it any more. I now use my mobile phone mounted on the ring with the app running to change settings.

I never used it to change any settings while recording. As far as I know that was not possible. I primarily used the start/stop recording feature combined with the knob to pull focus.