/dist/images/branding/favicon

Run/stop cable for RED epic and RR microremote

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Norbert Blenk, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Does anyone have any hints to build a lightweight trigger cable to connect the EPIC sync port to the RR microremote basestations accessory port? Any diagrams or pin configuration?

Thanks
    Norbert

2. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

3. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Loren,

Thank you for you reply.
    I know your cable. And i know the Red BNC Cable.
    But this is exactly, what i think ist too bulky and heavy. There are so many cables, transmitters and receivers mounted on the Epic that i would like to have a single connection between the RR Basestation an the cam. As small and lightweight as possible.

Norbert

4. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Norbert,

Ah I gotcha,

You could always build a short jumper cable from the sync port to a single BNC head using the sync flying lead: http://www.red.com/store/products/4-pin-00-lemo-to-flying-lead/790-0187

That would keep it small and eliminate those two extra BNCs.

But you will always need our run/stop cable because there is some magic in there that regulates the trigger protocol.

5. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

AH, now, i understand. :)
    You mean MAGIC=SECRET!

Okay, tell me, will it then be possible to cut the RR cable, shorten it and solder the ex-BNC end to a 4pin lemo plug to fit to the Epics sync port? It is a cable? Not some kind of "magic", bulky box with two cables coming out? :)

6. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Ha, now you're catching on;)

Yes the magic in our cable makes it so we don't need that bulky box other follow focus units require.

Contact support@redrockmicro.com and they'll be able to better guide you about cutting the run/stop cable.

7. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Loren, doest the run/stop feature on the MicroRemote work on any other cameras? I own a C300. Thanks.

8. Chris mierzwinski

Hey Lauren can you tell me how the red rock micro follow focus fares with the cp2 primes?

9. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Chris,

I've used the CP.2's with the microRemote plenty of times, haven't ran into an issue with any of them!

10. Chris mierzwinski

Great to hear. I've been curious for a while. Everytime I use the cp2 they seems so stiff so wasn't sure of the red rock can pull such stiff lenses. They seem to be the stiffest primes out there right now.

11. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Chris,

Yeah I agree, they are definitely some of the most stiff cinema primes I've come across.

I think they've even got more resistance than even some of the cinema zooms I've used!

12. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Loren,

i just got RR's run/stop cable a few hours ago and made a quick check.
    The led for "camera" on the handunit and the one for "acessory" are flashing and i cannot get 3.3V out of the BNC connector.
    Any suggestion?

13. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Norbert,

It sounds like your basestation may be set to Arri trigger (which is a momentary 3.3v instead of the steady stream the RED requires).

To change to the RED triggering protocol, follow these instructions:

1) Plug Run/Stop Cable into Basestation's Accessory Port and other end into RED Sync Cable
    2) Power on the microRemote
    3) BEFORE Calibrating, hold the CAL button, and without releasing it, hit the set button. Then release them both at the same time.
    4) All the system lights will flash either once (arri momentary trigger) OR twice (RED continuous feed).
    5) If they only flashed once, preform step 3 again (no need to power cycle) and the system should then be ready to trigger your RED.
    6) Calibrate the system on a lens
    7) Hit the "Camera" Button on the Wireless Handheld controller. The camera light on the wireless controller and accessory light on the basestation should flash.

The microRemote Basestation will remember your choice of run/stop protocol, and you will only need to do this once!

Also make sure your RED is setup correctly:

Sensor Sync Mode - GENLOCK - Genlock Source - BRAIN > BRAIN GPIO > Camera Input > General Purpose In.

Norbert Blenk likes this.
  14. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Thank you Loren,

I will try this if the RED is back from work.
    What will happen if i do step 3 AFTER calibrating?

15. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

If you do step three after calibration, you'll notice a small black dot appear over the auto-button. That is the beginning of the black hole that will consume your entire camera system, and possibly your hand.

Okay maybe not that. But it won't work, it will just enter Manual Calibration mode. ;)

16. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Sounds spooky!
    Why are such useful and dangerous advices not written in the manual?
    RR could loose milion of dollars if someone builds a black hole, looses his hand and sues you for compensation. :)

17. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

We added the Run/Stop feature long after the manual was initially written. It will be in the next revision of the manual though, sans the black hole disclaimer.