/dist/images/branding/favicon

My new MK heavy lift copter project

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Aw man, that sucks. It looks like there’s a direct DC connection on the board (#6 and #7 below).
    Says "not needed if you use the Molex connection”, but maybe your Molex is bad?
    Do you have a bench power supply? I’d just throw 12VDC on the FC board and see if it wakes up.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I used a spare molex cable. The boards getting power and its supply power to the GR24. It's just not lighting up, buzzing or communicating.

3. Steve Maller

I found some metric bits, and we can compare notes when I get them next week.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...dium-heavy-lift-8-10kg.3079/page-3#post-36214

4. Dave King

OK I got a new board overnight (thanks Quadrocopter). The new board is working (beeping, communicating) and working. Just one thing threw me for a loop and that was the radio wasn't communicating. Problem was that even though I thought I was on sumo 12 it wasn't. I had a hell of a time getting to the telemetry page so I could check it/set it. I had to use the left buttons to arrow over to the right for me to see it.

Everything looks good. Put props on and go fly. Just need to do a compass calibration and fly. Weathers kinda crappy right now.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

This is where Steve "land of the perpetual sunshine" Maller has the advantage on us. Weather is awful in Oregon too.
    Please tell me it's raining in CA, too, Steve. I'll feel better.

Andy.

6. Dave King

Well its just cloudy right now and damp and I'm going to go down to the local park and see what happens :D

7. Steve Maller

We did have some rain in the forecast today, but so far it hasn't rained. We could actually use some, because it has been deathly dried here for a really long time. I'm sure once my copter is back together again, the weather will turn bad.

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hey hey Andy Florida is the sunshine state this year florida has been winter warm

Dave and Steve any pictures of your new birds?

9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I had the same issue twice now, just about enough to drive you around the twist trying to get through the telemetry screens, before it starts spitting out errors, which stop you from scrolling across to the right five times.

Did you end up pulling out the telemetry cable and reinserting it to continue?

Hope you are up and flying now.

10. Dave King

I went out for my first flight. I don't know where the low voltage threshold for the 6S battery is so I landed with 23 volts with plenty of room to spare. In 50 degree weather I got 19 minutes flight time and the GPX file showed that I only consumed 10,000 mah. I actually made 2 flights, one flight was 1.5 minutes, and the 2nd one was 18 minutes. I'm running 2 10,000 6S in parallel so I still had plenty left. My guess is that I could have gotten a good 25 minutes at this configuration.

For my first flight I just ran my 3 axis gimbal with no camera. Here's a few observations and tidbits.
    1. The QC 6S 10000 batteries are just ridiculously huge and heavy. They are 1380 grams each. My flight was a little top heavy because I had a very light payload with no camera on the gimbal.
    2. The U5 motors are extremely impressive. Very very powerful, very very quiet.
    3. Position hold was very very impressive as I was flying in 20 mph wind gusts with average of 10 mph winds. Performance in wind is way better than my standard CS8 4S copter. The copter was very planted. PH overall is every bit as good as it was with 90J if not better. I didn't see any skating around or toilet bowl effect. It's a little hard to quantify PH performance of 2.0 because of the wind conditions but wind performance is definitely better. If its flying this good in wind I can't wait to see what windless conditions are like. I"m not sure if the improved wind performance is because the props are spinning faster with 6S and this is also the first time I've used 15" props. I used 15X5 XOAR props.
    4. The braking of the copter is very responsive in PH hold and not.
    5. My copter without the extreme mondo or FPV camera on the copter weighs about 14 pounds. Flying weight was about 15-16 pounds. It was a little hard to get an exact reading from my standard scale. I want to preface this to say that my setup I fly today was a standard 3 axis gimbal with no camera. I'm estimating that my flying weight will be at least 7-8 pounds heavier.
    6. GPX file shows very evenly distributed current and motor temps.

11. Dave King

No I just unplugged the lipo and it resets it. Yes!! :D

12. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Glad its airborne, now it must time to getting your camera airborne as well!

13. Dave King

Don't have it yet. I just bought a scarlet.

14. Steve Maller

19 minutes flight time? GOOD GRIEF. Congrats on her maiden voyage, Dave. That must have been a thrill. :D

15. Dave King

I just rigged up my old 3 axis gimbal with my Sony 760 and added 3 old 8000 lipo batteries to it which gives me a payload of 10 pounds and a GAW of 10.8KG. This should be close to my actual fly weight. The gimbal's CG is balanced. Not shooting any video just to want to simulate conditions. I'll try to hook up the X bee and get some hover data. I hope to test it tomorrow and I'll video tape it.

Steve Maller likes this.
  16. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Dave,
    Looking forward to hearing about a successful test flight when loaded up, I'll be interested to know what sort of currents it ends up pulling when loaded, compared to the predictions from eCalc.

good luck

Chris

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave 6S battery minimums are calculated the same way as 4S. 3.4 to 3.6v per cell x 6 instead of 4.

Dave King likes this.
  18. Steve Maller

Dude, don’t you have a living room? Just fly it inside. ;)

19. Dave King

My wife does put up with a lot, maybe I should ask her :D

20. Dave King

What do I monitor in MK tools while the copter is in there to get a good grasp of motor efficiency? Hover gas? If I know this number what is the max gas number so I can figure out a percentage so I can compare to the Ecalc numbers?