/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Radian' started by asa, Oct 26, 2012.

1. asa

asa New Member

Im using spectrum, for my radian, first I set it up with the satallite and everything was working. I got all the input monitor commands and everything looked right. Then I decided I want to use just the receiver so I could control the tilt as well. I am only using one radian to stabilize roll. when I connected it the system freaked out and couldn't get a solid reading. Now the system can't recognize and input, the input monitor window is completely red. I know for sure both receiver and satellite are bound properly and the connections are correct. Something happened when I switch the signals. Please help..lol
    Thank You
    Asa

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Asa:

I'm going to need a little more information to help narrow down what is going on.

Can you take some screen shots (use the Print Screen button on your Windows computer to copy the image of the screen to the clipboard and that paste that into a Paint program and save it as a JPEG) of both the Diagnostic Window and the Configuration Window when you have the Radian software connected to the roll sensor

Then can you repeat the screen shot for when you have the Radian software connected to the tilt sensor.

Can you also tell me the details of how you have the wires connected from the Spektrum satellite receiver to the Radian sensors, and all of the connections that you have in Ports 1 to 6 or each Radian sensor please?

Also, can you be more specific about what happens when the system "freaks out?" I understand that something bad is happening but I don't really know what is happening. If you can take a short movie and post it to YouTube or Vimeo and then link to it (use the little projector screen icon above the area where you type in your message) while the system is "freaking out" then that would be helpful too.

Thanks
    Andy.

3. asa

asa New Member

I will take some pictures,
    To answer some of the other questions
    When I first plugged in the spectrum receiver the slew and mode indicated bounce back and forth on their sliders all crazy, not smooth they where flickering back and forth. I only have the radian in roll so I had the aileron channel into the 1 and the gear into 2. I still have not connected the roll servo plug because of the malfunctions. The radian does read the angle properly so the unit knows what it is doing, It just can get the signal. when it I press connect the conn turns green but none of the spectrum, ppm, sbus singnal boxes stay check, and the input monitor signals are all read at negative 308%

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wow. That really is "freaking out!" :)
    I'd suggest you disconnect the tilt Radian sensor completely, and work with just getting the roll to work correctly -- or have you already done that?

I'd also disconnect the drive belts and the servos so that you're just working with the Radian sensors first. Then you can gradually add things to the system as you've checked them out. If things are going crazy you don't want to burn out any servos.

Andy.

5. asa

asa New Member

Yeah i have not plug the servo in I just need to get this connection done first. It has to read the system to work properly. THis a pretty bad video but see it it helps

link

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You have to press Connect before you click on Read, Asa. As I understand it from you video, you did the Read before you did the Connect.
    If this is the first time you've Connected to this module, you need to program it up.

This is covered in Step 4 and 5 of the documentation, but the summary is:

1. Press Connect so that the Radian Software is talking to the Radian Sensor.

STEP 5:
    2. In the Configuration Window click on Read.
    3. Cllck on Roll-1 (this appears to be the roll sensor, correct?)
    4. Choose how you want to have this sensor operating: Set the Slew, Mode and Aux to channels (see the documentation on the page after Step 5.), but again in summary:

Slew: Which RC channel if any should control movement? If you don't want any RC channel to control, don't set it.
    Mode: Which RC channel will control whether the Sensor is Off, Fixed Position Stabilized or Stabilized slew -- see the documentation Step 6.
    Aux: Do you want the Aux port to emit PWM to control a camera trigger? If so, set the channel here.

5. Click on Write to write those settings to the sensor. You need to do this even if you don't change anything for Slew/Mode/Aux.

Let me know whether the system stops freaking out after you have programmed the sensor as described in the documentation, please.

Thanks
    Andy.

7. asa

asa New Member

So in that video I did it that way, but I have tried numeros times the way the manual says. When I do it as you explained ( first step is setting up connection) I check the box spetrum, I press connect, then the check mark disappears and but the connect box is still green. When I open the input monitor all of the valuse are red, basically no connection.
    However with a futaba s-bus I can get it to connect and act properly. Everything works great. It is just not recognizing any spectrum signal. I need to run this on spectrum as I am heavily invested in spectrum for the operator.
    I run futaba for controlling the cinestar and my receiver has 2 s-bus outs. I actully ran one s-bus out to my cinestar and the other to the gibal and it works well. Do you think this is bad. None of the channels are overlapping but it seem crazy to me.

8. asa

asa New Member

I have two test flights and it has acted normal but this is not the permeant solution I would like.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I know it's misleading, but those check boxes are not meant for you to set them -- they're actually used by the Radian software to report what it is seeing. In your case, you should see [Edit: What was I thinking? You should see Spektrum not PPM] for the sensor connected to the Satellite receiver. From one Radian sensor to another they use S.bus -- so if you have the Radian Roll sensor connected to your receiver, that should show as Spektrum. If the Roll Radian sensor is connected to the tilt Radian sensor, then that tilt sensor will show S.bus.

That is correct. Initially there will be no connection.

Just to re-state the issue (and prove to myself that I understand it) is that when you connect the Spektrum satellite receiver to the Roll Radian sensor, you are unable to program it with the Roll-1 defaults and thus it will not work correctly? Did I get it right?

What you're saying is that when you connect the Radian roll sensor to a Futaba S.bus receiver the Radian roll sensor works correctly, right?
    However, when you connect that same Radian roll sensor to a Spektrum Satellite receiver it does not work correctly.

Just to confirm, though: You have successfully performed the steps described in Step 5 of the documentation. Sorry to make you labor this point, but, of course, I can't see what you have or haven't done. :)

Thanks
    Andy.

10. asa

asa New Member

No apologies needed on your side I really apriciate your help.
    I have tried to connect it exactly how the manual say, open program, give radian 5v with spetrum satelitle pluged in, press connect, the window turns green but there is no respons to the dx8 movments and the input monitor is all red. And there is no check mark in any boxes
    Orginally I set it up with the spectrum satellite and it worked then when I tried to set up the spectrum receiver thats when it had the freak out. Now will not understand the spectrum.
    When I go through the same process with futaba everything works properly along with the manual.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. That's very puzzling. We need to simplify the problem.

Let me just check one thing: The only reason that you have the Spektrum sateillite plugged into the Radian Roll servo is that you want to control the stabilization Mode. is this correct? Normally, one does not use the RC transmitter to control anything else on the Roll servo -- it just holds the gimbal horizontal and you can control the Mode in which it operates.

But the fact that the Radian Roll sensor is not detecting the Spektrum transmitter (the check box in the Diagnostic Window) looks like it's the primary problem -- and the fact that the Radian Roll sensor works with the Futaba suggests that either (a) there is something wrong with the Spektrum setup or (b) there is something wrong with the Radian sensor's ability to detect the Spektrum (implying that the Radian sensor is wrong).

So, this suggests doing a "reset" on the Roll sensor would be the way to go. This is described here.

Then can you tell me what you have plugged into each of the six Radian servo ports (if anything)?

We'll then go from there once I know your answers.
    Andy.

12. asa

asa New Member

So I did the reset with no luck,
    I want to be able to move the roll horizon just slight and have it stabilized by the spectrum transiter, bigger problem being that it can't even get the connection to switch the modes.

Something is definitely wrong with reading the spectrum stuff, It was reading the satellite, then I removed the satellite and 5v but didn't disconnect from software. Then I attached the spectrum receiver, aileron to port 1 and gear to port 2. Put 5v and press connect, thats when the system went haywire and refuses to read the spectrum satellite or receiver. I never attached the servo in any of these cases.

Now that is is working with futaba I have s-bus in port 1 and roll servo in port 4.

13. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Andy & Asa

I am late to this thread but is Asa saying it was working with the satellite plugged into the radian but then does not work when an AR8000 is used instead of the satellite? If so,
    What is the connection from the ar8000 to the radian? PWM?

I am using the satellite only with no problems.

Joe

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

As you are getting very strange results, would you disconnect the connection to port 1 and to port 2, connect up the Radian software to the Roll Radian sensor, and do a "Read."

Then tell me what values you have assigned for Slew, Mode, and Aux, please Asa?

How are you supplying the 5v, please?

When you say "the s-bus," can you tell me what is connected to port 1, please Asa?

@Joe: You're right, Joe. It worked OK with the Futaba and with the Spektrum satellite but not with the main Rx. I've used the Radians myself with the Spektrum satellite and the Futaba without any problems.

Thanks
    Andy.

15. asa

asa New Member

Ill ave to post some of the values later, but to try to answer the other questions,

How are you supplying the 5v, please?
    A small nimh battery its is just a small reciver pack that I bough from the hobby shop.

When you say "the s-bus," can you tell me what is connected to port 1, please Asa?
    s-bus reciver with dual s-bus ports out of the 4 ports. Male S-bus to male lead into port 1

@Joe: You're right, Joe. It worked OK with the Futaba and with the Spektrum satellite but not with the main Rx. I've used the Radians myself with the Spektrum satellite and the Futaba without any problems.
    In the very begging the spectrum satellite worked but now it doesn't.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And into which Port on the Radian sensor are you connecting the battery?

s-bus reciver with dual s-bus ports out of the 4 ports. Male S-bus to male lead into port 1
    Understood.

What would be most helpful would be to get the details of the connections that you have when it is not working -- as I said above, I think you might be telling me about what does work...but I'm not sure.

What I know thus far is:

1. You have an S-bus receiver connected to port 1, but I'm not sure which receiver this is, but it does not appear to the Spektrum satellite receiver that is causing the problem.

2. You have a small NiMh battery, but I do not know how it is connected to the Radian sensor to provide power.

What I would like to know is something like this (and I am making this fictitious example up just to illustrate what would be most helpful):

Radian Roll Sensor : Spektrum receiver plugged into socket underneath Radian.​
    Port #​
    1 : No connection.​
    2 : No connection.​
    3 : Two wire connector from 5v NiMh battery.​
    4 : Connected to roll servo.​
    5 : Programming connector.​
    6 : Programming connector.​

Edit
    I forgot to add these items (the "x" means you enter the value you have):
    Slew: channel x
    Mode: channel x
    Aux : channel x
    Gain : x%
    (You can supply all the other values too, but initially, these are the ones I'm most interested in).

Thanks
    Andy.

17. asa

asa New Member

I'm sorry Andy,
    Im away from home on a shoot right now and didnt have any internet.
    SO Futaba works, no problems which I think is interesting because it narrows the problem down to spectrum, (weird).

What would be most helpful would be to get the details of the connections that you have when it is not working -- as I said above, I think you might be telling me about what does work...but I'm not sure.
    Futaba works great I am using a, This is the receiver connected to port 1
    Futaba R6202SBW FASST 2.4GHz Dual Serial Bus Receiver (S.Bus)

What doesn't work
    What I know thus far is:
    1. You have an S-bus receiver connected to port 1, but I'm not sure which receiver this is, but it does not appear to the Spektrum satellite receiver that is causing the problem.
    Spectrum receiver and spectrum satellite are not recognized by the radian

2. You have a small NiMh battery, but I do not know how it is connected to the Radian sensor to provide power.
    With the spectrum satellite I connect the battery to port 2
    What I would like to know is something like this (and I am making this fictitious example up just to illustrate what would be most helpful):

Radian Roll Sensor : Spektrum receiver plugged into socket underneath Radian.
    Port #
    Spectrum Reciver​
    1 : aileron from receiver aileron
    2 : gear from receiver gear channel
    3 : . empty
    4 : This is where I would put the roll servo but until it reacts properly it is empty
    5 : empty
    6 : empty
    The battery is pluged into the batt. port on the spectrum recivere
    Spectrum Satellite
    1 : empty
    2 : nimh battery
    4 : his is where I would put the roll servo but until it reacts properly it is empty5 :

Edit
    I forgot to add these items (the "x" means you enter the value you have):
    Slew: default
    Mode: default
    Aux : default
    Gain : default
    I havent changed any of the %, they are all roll 1 default.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Asa:
    I am sorry to be so confused here, but you show two sets of ports 1 - 6 for the roll Radian sensor.

So I am taking that to mean that you are describing two different configuration.
    The first where you tried with the main Spektrum receiver by itself, and the second where you tried with Satellite receiver by itself.

My additional comments are in blue text.

So for the main Spektrum receiver by itself you have:
    1 : aileron from receiver aileron (So this will be controlling slew for roll)
    2 : gear from receiver gear channel (This will be the mode control for roll)
    4 : This is where I would put the roll servo but until it reacts properly it is empty
    5 : empty

Then for second, separate configuration that you have tried using just the Satellite receiver by itself you have:
    Satellite receiver plugged in underneath the Radian sensor using the mini-Molex connector.
    1 : empty
    2 : nimh battery
    4 : his is where I would put the roll servo but until it reacts properly it is empty
    5 :

Given that I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you should not be seeing the "freaking out" that you are getting. The connections above seem correct to me.

If it were not for the fact that the Radian sensor works fine with the Futaba I would be wondering whether the Radian was faulty -- but, based on the above, it looks like the problem might be with the Spektrum receiver(s).

The first configuration with the main receiver looks fine. Power is being provided on both ports 1 and 2.

I presume you have checked that the PWM control signal is going in to the Radian on the column of pins closest to the "front" of the Radian (with the label on it), and ground is on the column of pins closest to the "back" of the Radian (that is the side furthest from the label).

Given that you have correctly bound the main receiver with the Satellite receiver, that configuration should be working too.

It still would be helpful to know the exact values you are seeing for:
    Slew: channel x
    Mode: channel x
    Aux : channel x
    Gain : x%

I realize you have not changed them, but you can see what they are -- and I would like to verify that they are correct, but I cannot do that without knowing what they are.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure where to go from here based on your descriptions.

Do you know how to take digital screen shots using the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard, then pasting the contents of the clipboard into another document?

If you do, I can anticipate that the folks at FreeFly might want to see some additional details from the menus on the Diagnostic Windows.

Thanks
    Andy.