/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 first look at CES

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Adam Paugh, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Shaun Stanton and Drew Kachurak like this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Fascinating. The challenge with those specs is going to be finding a flash card or other storage device capable of handling that bandwidth. No way an SD card can get close to that. Maybe a CF, but even those could be twitchy. Ask the Magic Lantern folks.

3. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

There is supposed to be faster higher capacity SD coming out soon. It wont be cheap, but 4K! on a micro 4/3's camera that has lineage such as the GH2 that beat RED in the digital shootout.

Its very exiting to see these come out. Who will need RED's in the future, of course they are 5k but this will make medium lifts relevant again. I see a lot of fantastic stuff being done on this camera :)

Sony has come out with a Gorpro competitor doing 4k at 60fps for 300 bucks. With a leans conversion kit on that one :eek:

4. Steve Maller

5. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Looking forward to this camera for sure! If it could do raw... It would be a game changer

Shaun, the Epic Dragon is now 6K 100 fps and around 18 stops. GH owners can dream all they want but they are not in the same league no matter how many shootouts there are.

I agree though that the little 4/3 does hang in there in many situations.
    For aerial and 4K its going to be a perfect little combo.

6. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

200mbps~90GB/hr...sure would be nice if there was a remote video rec. start/stop for this one!

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4/3 vs the sensor size on a RED or RED Dragon at 6K I am betting on the RED. While my D800 is really good I would take a Hasselblad 80 or IQ160 back for absolutely the most data in an image. As always the output requirements really drive the type of hardware needed.

8. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

9. Shaun Stanton

Yeah, apparently their was some misunderstanding from the folks at Nofilmschool.com on that one. I imagine if they did a 4K at 60 that would probably be a big focus over there at CES. So I guess in the meantime goPro is still holding their own for action cams.

10. Shaun Stanton

I would agree with you except that I know from people that were on set for Johnny Dep's "Lone Ranger, here in New Mexico" that many of the shots were done on a 5D with ML. I have talked to a few DP's out here that have stated they have used GH2's and 3's on features where a "crash" cam was necessary and they knew they could get a quality shot for the one or two scenes that made sense not having a full kitted alexa or Red. They have been on real sets other than someone's backyard "indie" project or garage band music video.

I am not trying to sound the idealistic idiot, I know full well that these won't outdo RED's or 4K BMCC's.
    I would never make the claim that these will ever be an "A "cam. But I believe they will be on set for several B cam shots. IMO we multiorotor-heads, as cool as we think we are, we are just a "B" cam unit in most cases anyway, even though some shots were done with rigs carrying RED's. I can see for certain shots where a compact copter is needed than the GH4 maybe a contender for certain shots.

I know a lot of DP's will want RED's on the bird, hence why I am building a RED capable bird for when those occasions that arise.

Shaun

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. Brad McGiveron

Yes agreed... small cameras as crash cams, B cams have been used for ages and that's nothing new. Lots of films we did post on in the last couple of years (action shots in particular) have crash cam plates which are shot on 5D way before ML RAW. They sucked to work on because they have very little information compared to Redcode/DNXHD/Prores444 coming from Reds and Alexa. The 5D with ML RAW is much better but most most shots we see now are with Alexa as A cam and Epic as A crash cam because the Red its really a small camera with robust codec that can stand a whole trip thru post production. I actually had special production insurance on a couple of rentals of our Epic to shoots with lofty plans.
    My point is that a 4K camera with AVCHD isn't going to cut it for any more serious use than the GH3 already does.

Something raw or even Prores on a 4K GH would make it a great little camera on the ground or in the air. Who knows maybe AVCHD can cut it with some crazy data rates. Personally from experience I doubt it.
    Either way my GH3 is going to be happily replaced :)

12. Steve Maller

Sounds like you're describing the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera's next iteration. #fingerscrossed

Brad McGiveron likes this.
  13. Brad McGiveron

Exactly Steve

Would love to see Canon pull their head out of their ass and actually release something like this. Unfortunately they spend way to much time protecting their product lines and releasing more pointless and watered down additions to the soccer mom collection. :(

14. Sean Haverstock

They did indeed have the camera on display. They provided no info and didn't even field questions.

And I didn't see any mention of 4k on that Sony action cam. The form factor seemed crappy also.

15. Shaun Stanton

Yeah that was me jumping the gun on some erroneous info.