/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10, power and video distro

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Erich Roland, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Some new cables made for Epic rig. Actually not just Epic but can be used for any camera, but at the moment I'm customizing cable lengths etc primarily for Epic as our Carbon Dragon should be in this week and this combo will be about as good as it gets.

Ive done enough of these hobby connectors now to be finally getting good at it (I think anyway). The first few JST's were a mess but I've about figured the issues and now able to use a heavier gage wire (18) so a monitor or wireless system doesn't stress the wire capacity. If you get the "pre-wired" JST's that you can find on the internet with a 8" flying lead.... it looks like it would save a step, but they often come with 20 or 22 gage wire which is lite if your running a few items off it. The XT-60's are awesome connectors, cheap, easy, very small, lite.... win-win.

Attached Files:

2. Gorka Rotaeche

Eric, Thanks for all this info.
    I am also steadicam operator but new in the Movi world. I want to make a wiring like yours therefore this is very interesting for me.
    Could you tell me something about the monitor? Which one do you have? How do you power it?
    Please keep sharing you info ;)

3. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Gorka, Good to see you here, and steadicam operators using this new technology.

The monitor depends on needs. In my quest to get everything I can off the Movi rig has led me towards the Small HD 5.6" at the moment because it has a wider range of power-in voltage. I can run it off my main power lead coming off the Anton Bauer in the hip-pack. Id like to use the TV Logic also but its power capacity is 6-12v, so I'll need to drop voltage via an adapter to make that work but I'll have that made soon to have this option available. I'm in the rental business (Dc-camera) so Its about creating as many options as I can imagine clients needing.

4. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

New wire harness made to delivery all power needs to the rig including movi batt, and video off board to x-miter and it works well. Needs a bit of cable managing as it comes off the rig and snakes around to the waist belt, but I'm pleased with how much easier the rig is to operate when all that weight is taken off (in a heavier mode). A lighter 5d rig without lots of AKS is another story. The motivation was when heavy camera and multi aks are needed everything becomes a mess, and a heavy mess at that.

When I get a AB battery + movi battery + the video transmitter into the hip-pack, life is easier in almost every way except the need to manage the cable which I'm happy to do by comparison. The rig has some more cables to be wrangled up around the top bar, but down where it counts along the frame and camera platform is much cleaner and easier to manage in general... less cable hell, and the batteries are off board for everything. The hip pack can be a mess as in the picture, no tieing everything down, and no having to take camera out of balance to change a battery like 5d or Red using internal batteries under the bottom.

Next, same idea.... one AB battery for everything but movi, but mount the AB brick up on the top bar and more custom cables to fit the lengths involved as per. Some clients will prefer the weight to the "off board" cable and have it all self contained, but still have the advantage of one battery to change for all the Aks plus camera. Were getting there!

Attached Files:

5. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

a few more pics of what this looks like up top, if your interested.

Attached Files:

6. Gorka Rotaeche

Great job. I love it.
    Eric, you can use RG179 video cable. It is 75 ohm and supports HD and is very thin ;)
    I am also thinking in powering everything from a AB brick battery. In my case I have V-lock batteries. But I found this Li-ion batteries.
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-18650-148-6600-pcb.html
    6.600 mAh and 5 Amps discharge current and 560 grs. They have a PCB to protect it for overdischarge. Saffer than Lipo.
    It weighs as much as two Movi batteries but with 6600 mAh when Movi´s are 5200 mAh.
    Has anyone tried this?
    In the web are differentes battery models.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gorka not that I am a distrusting sole but I still wouldn't trust any built in protection system. Better to understand your batteries and treat them with kindness. And there are so many suppliers out there so do a Google search on Tenergy reviews. Mixed reviews from the RC crowd.

8. Gorka Rotaeche

Sorry Gary. I don´t understant you. You mean Tenergy is not a good one?
    My V-lock batteries has the protection circuit and I never had a problem.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gorka they might be fine batteries. When I see something I do a quick google search to see what others are saying especially on the RC sites and even more specifically any of the multi rotor sites. In a quick search I saw mixed reviews.

This battery is not the same type of construction as the battery for the MōVI. It has 12 cells, likely they are cells that are similar AA batteries. Which means more internal connections than the 2 or 4 cells in the a typical lipo battery. But it does appear to be very light and has a built in protection circuit.

10. Gorka Rotaeche

11. Thorsten Thielow

Thorsten Thielow New Member

I am using a Small HD DP7 High Bright Monitor on the Handle, with a Anton Bauer Battery Plate. And I am using Bebob Batteries with Anton Bauer Mount. They are Amazing. They power the Monitor, the follow focus, the Teradek and the Camera if needed.
    http://www.bebob.de/Akkus-und-Ladegeraete/A75PLUS.html

Attached Files:

12. Gorka Rotaeche

Thanks Thorsten.
    The battery is rated to 4.8 Ah max. Could it power the Epic?

13. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

14. Jacob Russell

Jacob Russell New Member

Will this battery work for Epic as well?

15. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Gorka, Thanks for the rg179 tip I've ordered the bits.

I had the boys at Vark Audio make a custom audio break away cable and have sort of figured it into the next bundled harness re-make once the thinner 179 cable arrives. Time code is the last part of the puzzle and Bruce at Vark warned against trying to bundle TC into the harness for cross talk issues. Anybody know much about that?

Fresh pics with new audio break away. Almost done!

Attached Files:

16. Gorka Rotaeche

Erich, one question.
    If I undestant your wiring, the battery in the hip-pack powers the Epic and accesories.So this main cable split in the top bar to another cable for Epic and other for FF.
    Which AWG size has this main cable ?
    Thanks.

17. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

yes exactly. I used 18 gage from Anton bauer up to the rig, then with some of the split-offs for Aks I used 20 gage. Its a bit heavier then possibly could get away with but I wanted to over-size the power ability.

18. Gorka Rotaeche

Thanks Erich.
    I´ve made the same.
    Thanks for help ;)

19. D. Seoane

D. Seoane New Member

Hi Erich,
    Your wiring harness is looking great. Did you use the XT60's for your main Power disconnects on the top bar? I'm curious how many wires are in the 12V Epic Lemo connector to the camera body. i was also wondering about the 18 gage wire , was it a silicone housing and able to give you the flex you need with no restrictions to the gimbal?.

Thanks
    Dave Seoane