/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying modes

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Angus Benson-Blair, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

What mode are people taking off and landing in? The reason I ask is that if you take off in full control, the M10 is clearly going to try to turn the airframe if it is still on the ground just like the old Cinestar 3 axis did. So, I have tried taking off in 'kill' but find that as I take off, regardless of how well balanced the camera is (a 5d mk3 with 24-105 lens in my case), the camera can start to move around a heck of a lot- I suspect due to prop wash. The problem is that when I then engage the motors they often futt out and I have to land the aircraft to reset. In majestic mode this seems better but again I am often getting a futt out on take off. What gives? When I fly the gimbal is in aircraft mode rather than handheld too.

Lastly, is there a way that should the gimbal futt out that it can be reset without having to land? Flicking in and out of kill mode does not seem to achieve this. When the futt out happens it is just the motors turning off to preserve them I presume so it is not as if the gyros need to re-initialise.

Lastly, unless I am being a bit bone (more than likely!), the manual seems very weak on the flying side of things eg what mode should you take off in, what is the difference between handheld and airborne mode. How gains are affected (seems to be quite a difference once up in the air compared to the stand) etc.

Bryan Harvey likes this.
  2. Adam Etheridge

I agree, the manual almost completely ignores the flying side of things, and there don't seem to be any training videos on this either. We've found that we've had to drop the gains by 10-15% when its in the air...

3. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I suspect that because there would be so few flying them relative to handheld it was a lower priority. If you look at the operators list, less than 5% are MR versions.

4. Angus Benson-Blair

5% or not, when paying this sort of money, one expects everything to be top notch. If the item is being sold as an airborne platform then it should have the requisite documentation etc

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Good points Angus, I will work on beefing up the MR section in the manual. Right now we are taking off and landing with the switch in the 'majestic' setting but with the gimbal setup as 'airborne'. This holds tilt and roll level but does not try and stabilise the pan axis. I am not sure why you are having a problem with this mode but I will do my best to get you sorted. I agree it is annoying to land / takeoff in kill mode with the camera / lens flopping around.

Can you explain why you need to reset the gimbal in flight? Are you getting a low voltage shutdown ....or?

Thanks!

Tabb

Bryan Harvey likes this.
  6. Angus Benson-Blair

Hi Tabb, thanks for getting back. There are two reasons why the gimbal is futting out. Firstly, even in majestic mode it will futt 1/5 flights or so on take off. Secondly, when flying the single rotor this can overwhelm the gimbal occassionally (and not surprisingly given its nimbleness) and it would be good to reset without having to land.

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Just experiencing the same this morning, when select from off to airborne majestic then on the three flashing would come on and I'd have to land, cycle the power and take off again ... I'm sure there is some operator error in there but not 100% sure where to look for the fix?

8. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

We have our futaba setup so that we've got Kill - Basic lock - Full control. Taking off in the locked mode.

I can't remember exactly what freefly call our locked position but its definitely not majestic mode as none of the axis' are being stabilized, the motors are just locked in their level position, perfect for take off and landing.

I didn't setup the control, my pilot did.

matt ragan likes this.
  9. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

I don't yet have my RC radio configured to control the MOVI gimbal, but I would like to test single pilot flying my camera under the Cinestar.

Is there a mode that I can safely do that in?

Im worried of a possible scenario where the gimbal starts spinning under the airframe while coming in to land and then not being able to shut off the gimbal to land safely.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan there is a Flight mode in the GUI software. Once you are in the air the gimbal does not spin. On landing as you power down the copter use the kill switch to disable the MoVI. Reverse on takeoff.

I am operating single pilot but using Futaba to do it. Your MC20 won't work with the MoVI as it isn't compatible.

11. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Gary, I do know about the flight mode, so I guess thats what you're recommending. I just want to fly around safely with no gimbal control right now to test stability, settings etc...Do people fly in Majestic mode as well?

More alarming though....what's not compatible about the MC20 with the MOVI?

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

MōVI is only s.Bus and Spektrum at this time. So the PPM or PWM from a Graupner won't control the MōVI.