/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spare channel output?

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Mitch Bligh, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I'm trying to set up my M10 (converted to MR) with a Spectrum DX8. I've imported the settings for the controller but want to use a channel to trigger an optical (led) shutter release for my 5D III. Please excuse me if I'm being thick but is there an aux output on the Movi like there is on Port 2 of the Radian system? (I'm finding it frustrating not having a proper operation manual with the M10/MR and find the online one for M10 too flimsy.)

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Mitch, there is no aux input on the M10/MR. It may be best to run a BEC split off your Freefly Aux battery to power your DX8 reciever.

3. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. My DX8 is controlling the gimbal pan and tilt fine. What I want is to use my spare channel, like I did with radians, to trigger a shutter.

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

To do that you need somewhere to plug in your shutter trigger - for this you need to use your full spektrum reciever not the satellite and plug that into the spektrum port. Power your reciever as mentioned above. I have not tried all this yet but plan to in the next few weeks.

5. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I've found out I can get DCv from sbus socket on Movi so don't need UBEC! Also, AR8000 will not work without satellite attached therefore no good in this instance. Other Spektrum receivers do work without satellite plugged in (the AR6210 is an example). Bind receiver with satellite attached then plug satellite into Movi. Receiver and satellite must be at least a few inches away from each other or will not bind, so use a separate cable, not the freefly one. You should have control over Movi via satellite and then have spare channel on receiver mapped to trigger shutter. Yes!

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mitch: May I edit your posting to replace "desparate cable" with "separate cable" -- I think that's probably what you meant, but I do like the idea of a "desparate cable." :)

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mitch before you use the IMU I would caution that you may damage the IMU. Tabb answered a question previously that it isn't meant to handle any type of load. So I would suggest not using it unless you check with the support team on that type of use. Would hate to have you burn up the board and need a replacement.

8. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Yes Andy! iPhone auto-correct isn't automatically correct!

9. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

This information came from the suppoer team, but I'll check! Thanks so much for the heads up. I think it would be a tiny consumption though. One LED to be precise.

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Let us know how it works. I think I'll go the Sbus method but still power through a BEC.. Just in case I need more power in the future.

11. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

If you power through SBUS you wont need BEC!

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

True, If all your powering is an LED...

13. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I assume you meant a BEC from the Aux battery anyway which would be the same consumption, possibly a tad more. I'll definitely post on here when we sort it all out.
    Cheers,
    Mitch

14. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

is anyone running a separate RX? How is it working?

15. Michael Elsegood

Hi Guys

Just wondering if there was ever a solution found here? I would love to be able to use a strattosnapper, either via the MoVi direct (Spare channel out?) or worst case via secondary receiver.. Tried double binding MoVI and another AR6210 binder at same time, with no success. Managed to get both 'bound' (orange lights on both satellites at same time) but the MoVI took precedence and no commands were translated to the extra receiver..

16. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Sadly advanced technology such as the ability to trigger a camera from the Movi is still centuries away. Unless aliens land on our planet and share this knowledge with us in exhange for all our natural resources.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

James don't despair. Here's a way to do this.

You will need a Spektkrum AR6210 receiver and a Servo Wire.
    On the servo wire disconnect or cut the Signal Wire. Typically this is a Wht or Org wire. Tape off the cut ends if you cut it so they don't make contact.
    Plug the Servo Wire into the s.Bus Port on the MōVI controller. Use the orientation in the photo below.

IMG_1190.JPG

Unplug the Sat Receiver from the MōVi and plug it into the AR6210 Sat Port.
    Plug the Servo wire into the Elev Channel on the AR6210. Note the orientation of the Plus/Minus wires when plugging in.
    Power up the MōVI. You should see a light on the AR6210 showing that it has power.
    Bind the AR6210/Satellite Combo as described in the Spektrum Owners manual. This is described on page 7 in the DX7 manual and is similar for all Spektrum transmitters.
    Turn off the MōVI when the bind is complete.

Once the bind is complete unplug the Sat Receiver from the AR6210 and plug back into the MōVI controller.
    Plug your trigger device into the Gear channel port on the AR6210.
    Map a transmitter switch to the Gear channel. By default the DX7 has a single throw switch already assigned to the Gear Channel. (Left side, top of the DX7 labeled Gear 0-1)

That's it. If a single throw switch isn't enough you will need to upgrade the radio to something with more switches and an available 3 way switch.

This process should also work with other AR receivers with more channels.

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

And James since I am traveling back to my distant planet I only want to take diamonds and gold with me....Thank you from my fellow travelers on your generosity...:cool:

And a Tip 'o the Hat to Mike. Mike you get half of the gold and diamonds...

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Err....Gary (or GzhhffrY as you are known on our home planet): Have you stopped taking your meds, again? :)

Let me see if I understand the process correctly: what you're doing is electrically connection both the AR6210 and the Satellite receiver, and then "binding" them to the same Spektrum DX7s transmitter, then electrically disconnecting them so that they can operate independently. Then you use an radio control (RC) channel on the AR6210 receiver to which the Satellite/MMōVI does not use or respond to (Channel 5, the Gear channel) and assign a transmitter switch to that.

For non-RC folks who may be unfamiliar with the jargon, "Gear" in this context means the landing gear of an aircraft. :) But that's just a naming convention from the world of Spektrum RC -- it's just an ordinary general-purpose RC channel that can be used for anything but the switch on the DX7s is labelled "gear."

The AR6210 receiver is being used as an independent Receiver operating in parallel (and disconnected from) the Satellite receiver and receiving the signals from the same DX7s transmitter.

The Spektrum DX7s transmits seven channels (1 to 7) and the Satellite receiver receives them all, but the MōVI does not use channel 5 (which, for Spektrum radios is designated as "Gear" (sometimes shown as GER)). So the AR6210, which receives channels 1-6, allows you to utilize channel 5 (Gear/GER).

Is that a correct summary?
    Andy.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Way too complicated earthling. The AR has labels as I used them in the description. The DX7 is also labeled. The AR is still pulling power from the MōVI controller. For something like a switch that shouldn't be an issue. I would not suggest running anything stronger than that.

If you move to another Spektrum Tx/Rx combo then the setup is similar and you may have more channels to use.

Loading the ship for the trip home now. Should have done this when your earth gold was more valuable a few months ago...