/dist/images/branding/favicon

Scarlet Beta Firmware

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Brad McGiveron, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I have been getting ready to upgrade our Epic to the new Dragon sensor and the Scarlet to an Epic MX. The Scarlet has been a interesting camera for sure as it really is limited in a lot of ways. Recently they just released new beta firmware which gives the Scarlet a little bit of lease on life. Finally 60p in a resolution larger than 2k, which if you have used cropped sensors was not ideal. You get 3K WS 60P and 4K WS 36P
    Anyways... I took the camera out for a spin on our custom brushless rig and shot it all in 3K 60P and 4k 36P.
    Not sure its going to make me keep it and skip the upgrade but it adds a new dimension to the camera.
    Any other Scarlet owners going to stick with it or trade up ?

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Brad have you flown with 3K60P yet? I am looking into getting a scarlet to fly.

3. Brad McGiveron

Hey Dave, no I haven't run it in the air yet with the new firmware.

I have run My Epic at the same setting before and they are they same and look great. Its over 2x crop so wide is harder to get with a normal wide lens.

4. Dave King

Brad do you have any video of footage shot on the red and or scarlet?

5. Brad McGiveron

6. Dave King

Brad

I just checked out your vimeo channel. Cool stuff. What frame rates did you shoot the scarlet with (aerial)? I"m trying to figure out if 60P is really needed for stable footage.

7. Brad McGiveron

That stuff in the link there was 30 and I mostly shoot that or 24 depend on the requirements of coarse.
    With any of the brushless setups out there you shouldn't need slo mo to make it smooth with a Red or with any camera tbh. With Radians or anything with servos it is a different story as you already know.

8. Dave King

Brad wasn't some of that footage on the gimbal with the radians? Do you use the redvolt batteries? I am definitely planning on upgrading to brushless motors. Good to know that you can shoot in 30P with aerial footage.

9. Brad McGiveron

Ya lots was using Radians or other servo based mounts so some software stabilization was needed.

Use mostly lipos powering the camera but I have a setup that works with the handle and redvolts as well.