/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 or HL?

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Phil Macdonald, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Phil Macdonald

Hi Guys,

We have ourselves a MoVI M10 and have the conversion kit ready to change this up into the MR version. As a company we are looking at expanding into aerial work as well and this was one of the main reasons behind buying the MoVI, to be able to provide incredible production value both on the ground and in the air.

We have looked a lot into the different options to do this and would of course like to keep everything under one roof, under one company!! With that in mind am I right in thinking that the Cinestar HL which was announced earlier this year is still not available to purchase, same goes with the Synapse Controller? I am presuming this is the copter and controller that would best suit the MoVI but does anyone have an idea of when these may become available?

If we are still talking some time away how does the Cinestar 8 hold up? Potentially if we feel we can get enough work with these units and it is some way off before being able to invest into the HL version then it might make financial sense to go with the CInestar 8 initially and then use that as a backup/second drone in the future....

Many Thanks,
    Phil

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You can rely on CineStar 8 frame for the heavy lift setup. To lift Movi comfortably, I would recommend you go with a 6S setup.

The only drawback of the current CS8 airframe's is the motor mount. They are not %100 compatible with the big motors. There are some custom motor mount plates compatible with CineStar, so it won't be a problem.

If you want build the system yourself, you should figure out which flight controller, ESCs and motors & props to use.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The learning curve on these things is considerable, so you're best off starting with a more basic setup before you commit to a huge amount of money and complexity in the air. There are no reliable dates as of yet for when the heavy lift or the Synapse will be available. Others may know differently, but you need to give yourself a few months at minimum to familiarize yourself with the airborne platform itself.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Phil Steve is right on point. It is a serious learning curve. One of the folks on the forum here basically did a full time immersion for something like 6 months before he started getting good at the flying part. I do mean full time. I'd guess he was flying 4-6 hours a day. Something to consider.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I started flying last January and it took me about 6 months of time (flying 2-3 hours a day 3 days a week) before I really started getting comfortable flying and flying reliably. There's a good chance that synapse and a HL will be out in the spring or early summer after SEMA. If I were you here's what I would do if you really want to test the waters. IF you have never flown one of these babies before you need to understand that its inevitable to not crash while you are learning. With that said I recommend either a phantom starter kit or you can do what I did and buy a regular CS kit that will allow you a very good starter kit that should be good for most stuff you want to do.

You could purchase a regular CS 8 frame with 500mm booms and get the following components
    MK 2.5 flight control board and NAV/GPS electronics
    MK power distribution with BL3.0 speedos
    Tiger 3515 motors
    6S batteries
    Then fly this setup without your MOVI or a gimbal for a few months.Then after that initial learning curve has been met, start using your movi with slighter payloads. This setup should be fine with a 5 pound camera setup. See what kind of results you get. This setup will probably be good enough for heavier cameras provided the payload doesn't get too crazy with large lenses etc. Best advice: Don't fly a RED or a C300 until you have a minimum amount of flying time (IMO that's about 8 months). You can accelerate the time if you fly about 20 hours a week. If you want to fly with some real heavy payloads you probably will just need to upgrade the motors.

Many of us have been waiting for the Synpase controller to come out. We have no idea when it will come out as there has been no word but the MK electronics should be good for what you need to do.

Hope this helps.

6. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

We had Quadrocopter try and build a "Heavy Lifter" for us just a few months ago without success. The eventually refunded our money and we haven't heard about any forward progress since.

7. Dave King

The release of the new MK Flight control board allowing for 6S batteries and the new MK 3.0 BL's has changed a lot fast.

8. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Well you were barking at the wrong tree :)

9. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

You were correct, which they acknowledged, however much has changed in the last few months and the development of the MK BL3 is certainly proving to be a game changer. I believe that it will give us the control and power to deliver a beautiful image without being lethargic in the air. I'm sure that we'll have some footage soon. :)

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

What Dejan said. There are a GAZLLION proven heavy lift options for you out there dear god.

@Dave, are you able to fly nose-in and do figure eight patterns while yawning the copter without the aid of GPS?

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Sounds like a comment from someone new to the hobby. MK BL controllers are not a game changer...they are late to the party. Been flying MK since '07 with the first board. Sure they have all that telemetry stuff but how often are you using it when filming onset? It's just another added feature to distract you with a false reading IMO. I don't use them, they are needlessly overly sensitive. Know your equipment folks. There are so many ultra heavy lift options out there. We've been flying the F55 for many many many many months now...just to give you an idea.

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Howard, that’s a great benchmark. It took me about 6 months of weekly practice before I was able to do that. The panic response of losing control and/or orientation is something I do not miss one bit. :eek:

13. Dave King

Not without getting the boom in the shot. I can do them its just getting the right speed down thats very touchy for me without GPS as its super sensitive.

Scott Strimple likes this.