/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tiger motors 4012 and beyond

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Andy: Let me see what I can do.
    For those that plan on using the new MK Power boards. How do you plan on getting bullet connectors by themselves?

2. Dave King

I attached the heavy lift motor data spreadsheet in a zip file. Andy I'm not sure how to set primary and secondary keys in excel. I know you can do that in access but I wasn't aware you can do it in excel.

Attached Files:

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In Excel, you use the Data -> Sort and it allows you to specify a "Sort by," and a couple of "Then by" -- which act as the primary, secondary, and tertiary keys respectively. Thanks for uploading the .zip file, Dave.

Andy

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

5. Jim Froom

Jim Froom New Member

Dave, thank you for providing all your research on the spreadsheet.
    I'm assuming on the 6s batteries you are plugging in 2x 10,000 mah 6s batteries?
    What C rating did you use?

6. Jim Froom

Jim Froom New Member

I'm real close to wanting to go with the u5's.

Just saw this as I was looking too see if there were any more reviews. Found this. Little QC (quality control) problem and maybe something to give pause while they get the bugs out?

He has a follow up video if you click on his name and the videos.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jim: Could you verify that video link, please? All I see is a black rectangle -- no response if I click on it.

Thanks
    Andy

8. Jim Froom

Jim Froom New Member

Just played ok on my droid phone. It shows the first frame and I klick & it plays.

9. Dave King

OH.... Just field sorting ok. I wasn't thinking of primary and secondary keys as just fields in relationship to databases.

10. Dave King

Thanks Andy. I was specifically thinking of the bullet connectors with the pig tail wires already on them like we get when we purchased the QC motors.

11. Dave King

Sure no problem!! I plugged in 2X6000 6S batteries rated at 25/35C

Here's all the parameters that were used in case you would like to see them all.

Eclac.jpg

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

One of Holger’s new PDBs shows an option of the bullet connectors already mounted directly to the pads on the BL-CTRLs. I like the idea of eliminating the pigtails. In this photo, it looks like the female bullets are just soldered directly to the pads. Doesn’t look very sturdy, on second thought...
    Safari-snap002.jpg

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave any particular reason you picked 2200m for the field elevation?

Steve Maller likes this.
  14. Dave King

Gary you are my hero! I showed that to about 5 different people and you are the only one that caught a huge error!!! I put 2200 in the meters column not feet column. That made the altitude 7218 feet instead of 2200 feet. Which by the way (cough) makes a huge difference unless you are flying in Denver. I'll need to go back and recalulate the data.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary caught it because he lives up where the air is thin! :)

Steve: I hope those bullet connectors on the new PDB don't prove to be a mechanically weak spot for those who travel and need to plug/unplug the motors when they assemble/disassemble their copters. The pigtails had the advantage of separating the mechanical aspect of the connection from the electrical connection to the PDB.

Andy.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's an OS X and Safari problem, Jim. Plays fine under OS X and Firefox.
    Sounds like the bearings have some run-out, doesn't it -- you shouldn't hear any noise if you waggle the prop tip.

And by QC problem, just to be clear, I think you mean "quality control" not "Quadrocopter!" :) (QC tends to refer to Quadrocopter on this forum...)

Andy

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Or “QA”, or, as we called them back in the day, “those irritating, humorless bastards across the hall”.

18. Dave King

Here at the college I work they are called TA's.

19. Dave King

OK, so here's the revised list with some (cough) real world altitudes plugged in. Using an altitude of 2200 feet above sea level compared to 7500 feete made a huge difference in efficiency and throttle percentage at hover. ON average throttle percentage is now between 13-16% lower than the first set of numbers.

There are 3 tabs on this spreadsheet, the first is the numbers sorted by the motor, the 2nd tab is sorted by weight/hover time, and the 3rd is just sorted by hover time.

Crunching all the data has made the following things stand out at me.
    1. The 4012-9 KV480's are pretty efficient with throttle% but are higher in current draw compared to the U5's.
    2. The U5 motors are not as efficent with throttle% compared to the 4012-9 but have a much higher flying time estimate and much lower current draw.
    3. The engine temperature for the U5's compared to the 4012-9's are about 22 degree's lower.
    4. The 3520's are very similar to the U5's in regards to throttle at hover but draw a decent amount more current and motor temperature.
    5. The 3515's really max out at 9 to 10K depending upon prop size.
    6. The 4014-9's really didn't outperform anything so I left them out of the numbers.

Attached Files:

20. Jim Froom

Jim Froom New Member

That's why I asked if you used 2 - 10,000 mah batteries cause I didn't come up with the same numbers that were on your first spreadsheet

I pretty reached the same conclusions from my research on what motors to buy. I ended up focusin in on the u5/ avroto 3515's as being the sweet spot for 14-20 lbs and capable of pushing 22 lbs at maybe 60-65 hoover. I tend to disregard the high temps a bit, as I don't ever fly at 100% throttle.

I was set to order the u5's last night or today and then saw the video of the bearing issues on the u5's . More than likely a quality control problem (I edited my post on QC abbreviation) but although improbably, could be a design or manufacturing issue, since these are new.
    Might wait or go with the Avroto's as they are at least hand inspected at MontoroRC and maybe they can sort out the problem before they get shipped if they have a similar issue.