/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pictures of our complete M10 setup with Canon 5D

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jason Palmer, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If they're at storage charge (and 3.8v seems about right, using a Hyperion Superduo mine go to 3.9) you should find the tigers will doze happily for weeks with no bad things happening.

For long term storage, if you feel worried, then you might want to get ammo boxes in which to store the Lipos (e.g, http://www.amazon.com/GI-7553296-Cal-Ammo-Can/dp/B000J4HXUC) but be sure to drill a pressure relief hole in the lid or the base so that if one of the tigers ignites it doesn't turn the can into a bomb.

I've not heard of the LiPo's spontaneously igniting at storage charge -- only when they're been mistreated, over-charged, over-discharged, or you've forgotten to change their kitty litter. (Joking re: litter.)

Did you see such stories?

Andy.

2. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi All.
    Someone posted some pics a while ago with their particular set up, which I can't find the link to at the moment. So I thought someone might be able to assist. I've attached a pic of the RR FF and what appears to be an ac7 monitor, which will be the same set up I'll be using. My question is, the handle that the monitors is mounted on, any ideas where I can source one??

Hoping some one can help.

Cheers
    Garry

Attached Files:

3. Mike King

Mike King Member

Thanks for the response Andy! I think I'll look at getting the Hyperion charger you have rather than just running them down on my Movi until 3.8v. The drilled ammo boxes seem to be a popular storage suggestion too. These tigers will have a nice comfy cage.

I actually haven't seen any of the horror stories other than the guys on YouTube with hammers and spikes. I think the threads I read about them were on RC Groups, or Helifreak - something like that. I can't find the exact threads in my history.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mike

4. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Jason.
    Thanks so much for the detailed inventory and links...Very helpful.

Are the RR rods you use 6"? I'm looking at them and thinking they mightn't be long enough to run with say my 24-70mm lens on a 5D mk3. At 6"s I doesn't look like there would be enough overhang out the back of the top mounting clamp to be sure of a good solid base. Also the micro clamp looks quite elaborate, but I'd say it'd be made to fit easily to the base station, wouldn't it, without the need for more bits a pieces. Personally I'm going to steer clear of the collins clamp when used with carbon fibre in case someone else just happens to over tighten it and suffer the splintering consequences.

Appreciate your thoughts and advise.

Garry

5. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Had confirmation of the screw hole sizes for the back of a SmallHD AC7 monitor. They are 6-32. Not sure of the depth of the thread needed, but it doesn't look too long.
    Hope this helps someone.

Cheers
    Garry

6. Dana Neibert

Dana Neibert Member

Thanks for all the great info. On the Lipo voltage protectors/monitors, do they get wired inline with the battery power lead or do they connect somehow to the white balance connector?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

They connect to the balance lead. The Venom LiPo alarm works well and, because the unit is in a plastic case (rather than just being shrink wrapped with expose pins to connect to the LiPo), will stand up to harsher treatment on location. The plastic case also makes it easier to put gaff tape across the apertures of the beeper alarm to gag them.

Andy.

8. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Andy.
    I bought the Venom alarms as well but have a further question as there were no instructions on use with it. How do you set the voltage you want the alarm to come on at?
    The gaff tape over the beeper is essential too, as its so damn loud.

Cheers
    Garry

9. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Forget my last question Andy. I used the tried and proven method of Googling it and found the units have a preset of 3.3v which I believe is the recommended voltage to change the battery over.

Cheers
    Garry

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not a problem. If you read the fine print on the back of the packaging (and I mean "fine" -- you'll need good eyesight or a loupe), there's a button between the two apertures of the alarms and you press that to toggle the alarm voltage. As you say it's set to 3.3v by default.

Andy.

11. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Funny you should mention the fine print and Loupe, which is exactly what I needed to read the back of the unit itself. Unfortunately I didn't notice anything, even small, on the packaging, so tossed it out. I assume that the 3.3v is ok for our needs??

Garry

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Here's what it says on the back of the packaging:

An alarm will sound if the voltage is below the default of 3.3v Pressing the SET button will turn OFF or change the low voltage alarm. Press the SET button one to turn off the alarm. Continue pressing SET button to scroll through the voltage points. 2.8V-3.8v per cell.

There's also some language about warranty which roughly translates to:

The warranty is only for units that are new.​
    That means, because you've owned the unit for more than zero seconds it's second hand.​
    Mechanical parts are warrantied for 90 days, electronic for 30 days.​
    Congratulations, your unit is already out of warranty.​
    You are on your own.​
    Have a nice day.​

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

13. Chris mierzwinski

14. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

OK, A couple questions.. What item did you buy to mount the monitor to the controller? also what items did you buy for the follow focus person? a handle out the bottom of the monitor?

15. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Trevor.
    I bought a handle that screws into the bottom of the monitor and will be mounting the RR FF unit on the side of the monitor with velcro.
    The handles are available at most pro photo'y stores. Unfortunately I'm STILL waiting on my RR micro FF, ordered at the end of Oct, so I can't tell you if the velcro mount works well or not. But I did see photos on a forum post some time ago which gave me the idea. Hopefully it'll work.

Cheers
    Garry

16. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

is the handle one that just goes to a 1/4 screw?

17. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Yep.
    Garry

18. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

Where do they sell those? and whats the brand?

19. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member