/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Sorry to lead anyone astray with a transmitter selection. Seems like my crystal ball is due for a cleaning!
    Greetings,
    Adam

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Well I think this would be spectacular to implement. But I need someone to draw me a picture...So, if I had an sbus radio ( futaba? ) would I need two sbus receivers - one connected to the FC board and one connected to the Radian? Or do you daisychain from one receiver to the Radian and hope you do not wrap the cable too many times around by panning the camera?

The next question that begs is what controls on the transmitter is the combined pilot/operator using for pan and tilt? Which then requires the question of 'what is a recommended transmitter to use for this setup?'

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In truth, I really can't pin this one on you Adam. I did my own research and concluded that Spektrum was....well, not as nice as Futaba.
    Actually, I have repossessed the Spektrum so I've got it available, but so far so good with the Futaba 8FG Super. Mo' channels, mo' bettah. Certainly the wiring is mo' simpler.

So no need to worry about your crystal ball. It's still as accurate as it ever was.
    (How's that for a back-handed compliment?)

Andy.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Could anyone give me advice on how to link my 2nd s-bus receiver to my Futaba T8FG radio so that I can use it for single operator. I have the 2nd receiver ready to go and my DX8 all set up for dual use with camera operator. I'm not very sure of the s-bus system so only have the manuals to go by.
    Thanks.
    Katya

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    I was curious to know how to do this but hesitant to respond as I've not tested it (I don't have a second Rx).

Anyway, I did a Google search for:
    futaba binding a second receiver

Here's the Futaba link that appears to answer the question - could you post on this thread if it works, please?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-fasst-q893.html

Thanks
    Andy

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Andy. Just nipping out but will have a go a bit later and post if I manage to get it going. As I said, I have got the DX8 working well with different speed modes for gimbal (using advice from Joe in another post) and am using the spectrum satellite rc plugged into the radian. Seeing as I am running s-bus as my flight rc I thought I'd give it a go and try and get the 2 tx's working with the gimbal as Tabb suggested earlier in this post. Only thing is I really don't know the T8FG at all well so am worried I will do something which will then muck up my flight tx & rc. I have copied my settings to the SD card and backed it up on the T8FG so fingers crossed!
    Will post later if it works, and probably if it doesn't too!:)
    Katya

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Andy, I have just had a quick read of the link that you sent me and I don't have an LED on the back of the transmitter T8FG and there is not an id set button in-between the 2 antennae coming out of the R6203SB receiver so they must be talking abut a different tx/rc set up. There is however a link/mode button on my rc so I will give that a go.
    If you find any more links then send them my way:)
    Katya

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Sorry about that -- it was a bit of a "Google in the dark"....let me know if you manage to link/bind to the second Rx.

Andy.

9. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi all,
    I have a similar question. I´ve setup my cinestar to work with a graupner MX-20 (GR-24 receiver) and the gimbal with a DX8 and satellite. I´ve tried googling too but didn´t find any info on how to bind 2 graupner receivers to one transmitter.
    Has anybody done that and is willing to share?
    Thanks,
    Wolfgang

EDIT: found it - page 69 in the english manual - stupid me!!!!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for editing your posting with the solution the problem, Wofgang. It will help others that follow in your footsteps....

Andy.

11. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Does this very slick switching solution between single and dual pilot only work ONLY with the Spektrum satellite receiver as camera controller or would any two systems be able to set up for easy switching between single and dual?
    In my case for example, could I have a Graupner MX 16 control flight and then have a Futaba 8FG control the gimbal and still have it work in the way that is described here for easy switching?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, This radio stuff is all very new to me.
    thanks!

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Based on JohnC's posting here, I think it only works for Spektrum satellite -- which has a separate mini-Molex connector underneath the Radian thus freeing up Port 1 for a second Rx to plug in.

Andy.

13. Joe Azzarelli

I am using a Spektrum DX18 for pilot and DX6i for camera operator...and I have this set up for full single pilot operation with the DX18. If anyone else is interested in a dual spektrum setup I will be happy to explain.

Joe

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd be happy if you explained it, too! :)

Andy.

15. Joe Azzarelli

Just for you, my friend...
    First, you get this fella. It is bound to my main transmitter, the DX18. I probably would not trust it to fly the copter, but as a receiver for a single pilot gimbal operation I think it is fine. It has not one but two spektrum satellite ports so you have built in diversity if wanted. So far I am not using either sat. port, just the main Rx with no problems. The important thing is that it has sbus OUT, so you can use it as secondary to the DX6 which is bound to the satellite connected to the pan Radian.

Second, the DX18 channels have to be pushed around a bit and how I did it is on the pdf below. The DX18 says it only has 10 channels without the X-plus channel expander, but in reality when you turn X-plus on you get 12 usable channels. Nice. I really like the DX18 compared to the DX8. Just a nice feel and better features.

Finally, my setup has the DX18 controlling radian slew even if the DX6 is on.

There ya go!

Joe

Attached Files:

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Joe, you da man!
    Thanks -- I'm impressed you found the Orange RX and lashed out for the entire $24.95. :rolleyes:
    We'll have to increase your weekly allowance (Britspeak: pocket money).

Andy.

17. Joe Azzarelli

The real issue is waiting 4 weeks for it to come from Hong Kong. In our Amazon-2nd Day world this was like forever!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I find that ordering from HobbyKing is like having surprise Christmas presents show up -- when they do show up, you've forgotten you ordered the things in the first place so it seems like a CRAFT moment. (CRAFT = Cannot remember a "fine" thing....)

Andy.

19. Daniele Natale

Daniele Natale New Member

hello Joe, congratulations .... I have two axes and dx18 how I can only control the tilt axis? I can not set

20. Joe Azzarelli

I will try to answer your question. If you only have 2 radians, I will assume you do not have a pan radian. Do you intend to have a camera operator, or will you always be a 'single pilot' flying the helicopter and operating the camera by yourself? If you are always just a single pilot simply bind both satellites that came with the dx18 and use one for the MK flight control and one connected to the tilt radian. Then assign the right lever or left lever to an unused channel ( don't bother reassigning channels like I show in the pdf ). Also use a different channel to control the radian MODE and assign it to switch C on the DX18.

Also, if you have just a two-axis gimbal you could always just run a servo wire from the MK board to tilt radian.

Let me know if I misunderstood your intent.

Joe