/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best way to power redrock FF and paralinx transmitter?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Hughes, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

What is the best way to power both the transmitter and the redrock micro remote follow focus?
    I can power the transmitter from an extra lipo and the dtap adapter cable, but is there enough power to split the d tap and also power the follow focus receiver/motor.
    Or is anyone doing it a better way?
    Thanks

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ben - Doesn't the transmitter (hand unit) have a built in battery?
    For the receiver / motor we are using Lipo to 2 pin lemo.

Tabb

3. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Thanks Tabb.
    Yes it does, the problem I have is that I have the paralinx, and I'm buying the lipo to dtap cable to power the transmitter. I will run that from a separate freefly lipo on the gimbal, but then how do I then also incorporate lipo to 2 pin lemo for the follow focus without having a 3rd lipo?
    Thanks
    B

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahhhh got it! I missed that part...need to slow down reading ;)

Let me look into this...I think we have a y-splitter for the lipo rolling out sometime soon. This would allow you to do what you need to do.

Best,

Tabb

5. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

IMG_6995.JPG

That's how I did it recently, next step is to clean it up, add a bigger battery and feed the camera as well. But it's really cool to have no cable between the guimbal and the handles. With this setup you can also put the camera in awkward positions and still having video feed and focus puling available (probably just need a wireless remote trigger)

6. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

That would be brilliant Tabb. When is that cable happening? Only because I need to order some stuff from you guys tomorrow, and don't want to pay shipping twice.
    Ben

7. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Hi Joe,
    Have you put a1 paralinx receiver on the pan handles for your monitor? Instead of having a hyper thin hdmi from the camera, that's what I am doing. I really don't like having that hyper thin from the gimbal to the monitor on the pan handles.
    It would be really great to power the camera as well, but that's another step, have you done that? To power the 5d would be brilliant because every time you need to change 5d batts you have to remove the camera.
    B

8. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

Yes I have 1 receiver on the handle (I use CMR RADIAN MC instead of paralinx, it's the same but has a better mount in my opinion)
    I have on extra usb on this setup, so I can feed a sdi-hdmi converter if necessary.
    The issue with feeding the camera from the lipo is that it will need a bigger battery, and a converter 14.4 to 8.4v and 1 more cable....
    It will be really messy at this point, but would be great to have a full setup available for a few hours

9. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

That sounds good. I need to work out how to power the paralinx receiver on the handles. I'm using a smallhd dp4.
    Maybe a mophie juice pack. Or maybe another lipo! There must be a way of powering the receiver from the dp4 with the 2 lpe6's.. But there's no power out.
    I wish that there was one central solution to this power issue. I think I'm nearly there with it though!

10. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

a splitter from the movi lipo battery, on go to the smallhd dp4 the other one to the video receiver (with a 5v USB converter)
    I use the backbone from cmr with the battery power pack and screw it to the side of the dp4 but it makes the monitor off balance and you will need a good ball head to handle that. I think splitter from the movi lipo battery would be a good idea. (or a vmount battery on the handle for the movi/dp4/video receiver)

11. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

We've got a cable with a built-in 5v regulator, so we use a spare lipo to power both the Redrock and the Paralinx. Everything mounts neatly up on the crossbar

12. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

How do you guys manage to not let the cable powering the FF between gimbal and handlebar interrupt balance? Seems like something similar to Joe's setup would be best. I'll be mounting Hocus Axis 1 to RED Epic, 5D and sony fs700 on movi m10.

13. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

My method is with a custom motor cable from the gimbal to the crossbar. It's super thin and flexible, and lets you have everything except the motor up off the gimbal.

My cable should in theory work for the Hocus Axis 1, but the motor connector is angled, where the motor for the Axis 1 requires a straight connector. If you were interested, I'd be happy to research it more and see what it would take to create a cable like that.

14. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Here's what I came up with for power...

I have an un regulated P-Tap splitter out of a 4S Lipo, and a 5V regulated current to mini usb. I stuck it all in a project box to reduce clutter and to add an On - Off Switch. I use the P-Tap splitter to power the RR Follow Focus, A monitor/Recorder and a Teradek if necessary. The Mini USB is for the Paralinx only. I could have used the P-Tap cable that came with the Paralinx, but that was too bulky for me, I could have hid it inside of the project box but decided to do a little experimenting.

If you have some skill with a soldering iron, you can take a Cigarette lighter to USB adapter from your car and wire that up inside the box. This will take the 4S lipo and convert it to 5V 2 Amps, make sure the adapter is capable of 2 amps (For the Paralinx).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hey Guys,

One other option is actually powering the Paralinx from the microRemote itself. Little known fact, our accessory port actually passes through an unregulated power signal, so you essentially have a D-Tap built right into the remote!

I had a customer build up this Accessory to USB cable using the Paralinx D-Tap Regulator, and lo-and-behold, power! So you can now power your wireless video transmitter (or iPhone, GoPro, USB Fan) through the microRemote, pretty cool.

USB.JPG USB2.JPG

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  16. Steve Thathiah

Steve Thathiah New Member

Hi Lorens

Do you have a linx and photo for the cables your advising and where to buy it

Thanks

17. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hi Steve,

Right now we aren't officially building these cables, so it's a custom solution. However, drop support@redrockmicro.com a line and they may be able to build one for you as a special order.

But anyone can get the pin-outs for our accessory port and build the cable themselves if they'd like.

18. Dana Neibert

Dana Neibert Member

We make a plate that mounts to the gimbal and will hold a FF LiPo and has two PTap connectors: http://www.nine-volt.com/product/movi-lipo-battery-plate/

The FF LiPo will easily power a RR remote follow focus all day long. We use the Bolt system and the transmitter usually goes a couple hours before the LiPo needs to be swapped out.

Steve Thathiah likes this.
  19. Steve Thathiah

Steve Thathiah New Member

Hi Lorens

so how did you power up the paralinx and the red rock in this video what did you used

Thanks
    Steve

20. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hi Steve,

In that video I was actually powering the monitor and Paralinx with one Freefly battery and a JST to USB splitter that Paralinx Makes (http://www.paralinx.net/store/jst-regulator).

I was using the accessory port on the basestation (which was powered by a second LiPo on the camera sled) to provide regulated power to the camera and provide wireless run/stop capability.