/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mode Switch for DX6i

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Joe Azzarelli, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Since the DX6i does not have a 3 position switch, here is the workaround using Mix:
    a_gimbal13.jpg

With these mix settings, moving the Mix switch from 0 to 1 sets Radian to Fixed Position Stabilized. Moving the Gear switch to 1 sets Radian to Stabilized Slew ( regardless of Mix switch position ).

joe

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Neat, Joe.

Andy.

3. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

OK, I'm going to come out of the closet here and admit to being a total newbie when it comes to "advanced" transmitter config such as a mix. There I said it. I feel better.

SO, I'm looking for patient advice and guidance to (if possible) leaving the gear switch dedicated to camera trigger, and using this mix magic with the elev d/r and flap switches to control the transition between off/fixed position stabilized/stabilized slew. Is this possible? Can some patient soul advise?

I also have a dx8 on the bench I'm thinking of migrating to which would eliminate this problem. Opinions there?

My left stick controls pan and tilt, right controls zoom (holger IR for sony or custom servo setup for 5DMKII). Gear switch controls trigger for either Sony or Canon.

All opinions welcome.
    Regards, m

4. Joe Azzarelli

You can use this same mix 'trick' with the flaps switch, unless it is being used for something else. I have my photo trigger on the flaps switch so I used gear. You cannot use the d/r switches for this mix thing.
    Honestly I read the spektrum manual 3 times to try to understand Mix but I am thick as well. Just a lot of trial and error to get to the solution.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yeah I too have read the manual on the mix stuff and it didn't make any sense. I will be playing with this tonight. Thanks for the info!

Josh

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey guys, another option is to use a 2 position switch and just have "off" and "stabilized slew" as the 2 options. I think this would work fine for most people as fixed position stabilized rarely gets used (at least on my ships!)

Tabb

Gustav Raberg likes this.
  7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Tabb, why must you insist on making things so simple?
    -m

8. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mike, I try and keep it simple so I actually have a chance in hell of getting a good shot when I am on the job ;)

Kristian C likes this.
  9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll defer to other people's superior knowledge, but the way I figured it out as as follows:

Channel mixing allows two different channels to be combined -- and those two different channels can be controlled by two different switches.

A channel can go from -100% to +100% of it's range.

So, as I understand, Joe's done this:

1. Defined a mix, identified as Mix 1 and using the Mix switch on the DX6.
    2 Mix 1 is set up such that the Mix switch off (Rate switch "D" meaning down in his image) sends -100%.
    3. When the Mix switch is "U" (switch is on), then the channel value will be 0%.
    4. When the Gear switch is turned off, it doesn't contribute to the mix, so the Mix switch controls.
    5. When the Gear switch is turned on, it sets the channel to 100% regardless of the setting of the Mix switch.

How did I do, Joe?
    Andy.

10. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Freaking awesome, Thanks joe! works great!

11. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Can anyone explain how to mix different slew speeds on a 3 switch on a DX8 so that I can have slow, medium and fast pan and tilt? Am I right in thinking that you change the parameters of the slew commands in the TX rather than the radian software?
    Katya

12. Joe Azzarelli

The DX8 allows dual rates and exponential modifications to the joysticks ( yaw, aileron and pitch - not throttle ). You can have 1 D/R switch control all 3 or you can use two D/R switches. These switches are 3 position, so you can have 0 = flat, 1=some expo, 2=more expo. Even if you use 1 switch to control both, you set the amount of expo separately for each channel.
    So, for example: Set the D/R switch to one of the 3 positions and adjust the pan expo. Set it to the next position and adjust the pan expo to a more aggressive setting. The DX8 remembers the settings for each position.
    So we are clear, this does not involve 'mix'.

Best

Joe

13. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Joe. Thanks for your reply but just so I have it clear, I have to assign the D/R 3 position switch to something otherwise it won't know what's going on. Is that correct? and I then adjust the expo of the tilt and pan (rudder & aileron)
    Thanks
    Katya

14. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I have been watching Tabb's set up video and he talks about 3 different operation modes for the gimbal control, slow where the travel adjust on the pan and tilt is only about 10, then medium where it is about 22 and then fast where it is 60 I think. It is this that I am looking to replicate. You do this by changing the expo curve? Thanks again.
    Katya

15. Joe Azzarelli

In the function list go to 'D/R and Expo'
    Select a channel, for example 'Aileron' - I will assume you are using this for yaw.
    At the bottom of that screen it has a "Sw" setting. There are actually 3 D/R switches. For ease, lets say you want both pan and tilt to be controlled by the Aileron D/R switch, which is located on the far right above the joystick. So set the Sw setting to 'Aile D/R'
    Now move that physical switch to position 1 then adjust the Expo.
    Then move the switch to position 2 and adjust the expo again.

Go up to the Chan. setting and change to Rudder, then rinse and repeat.

Hope that is clear(er).

Joe

16. Joe Azzarelli

Watch the monitor screen and move the joysticks in each of the 3 D/R positions. You will see what it is doing. The Expo really is only affecting the centermost movements, where you want it to be more or less sensitive.

Don't forget there is a deadband setting in the Radians, so it may seem that it takes more stick movement to get a response in the higher expo settings.

Joe

17. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Joe. I'll give it a go later:)
    Katya

18. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Thanks for this post Joe!! I wouldn't have figured it without this!

19. Edward Chegodaev

Edward Chegodaev New Member

Hi all,
    I read Radian FAQ, but there too didn't find the answer to the question.
    I have such problem: It is impossible to activate the "MODE SWITCH" to channel 5 and operate it via the mode
    3 position switch "C" on a Futaba 9ZAP.
    I use PWM control mode.
    I connected Control cable on the second Radian modul socket as it was written to manual.
    Firmware is established the latest 1.03.
    Has to be so:
    1) OFF, 2) FIXED POSITION STABILIZED, 3) STABILIZED SLEW.
    But at me the module, doesn't react to switching in any way.
    Configuration remained Mode=5. It is correct, or not?
    In manual I didn't meet a control example for PWM option.
    Question: For what reason switching of modes at all doesn't work for me?
    Thanks for possible answers.

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Edward you can change the assignment from Channel 5 to any channel you want on the Radian. It is just a default setting. On my Graupner I have Mode on channel 12 (Mode = 12). Hopefully someone with a Futaba can chime in on how they setup their system.