/dist/images/branding/favicon

PARALYNX Arrow Plus or TERADEK Bolt wireless monitoring?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Marc Morissette, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Marc Morissette

Marc Morissette New Member

I'm looking for advice on a setup for my MOVI M10 Monitoring

This is (will be my camera setup )

• Blackmagic Design 4K Cinema Camera (SDI out) (on order of course)
    • Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera (mini HDMI)
    • Panasonic GH3 (Mini HDMI)

And a Friend as a RED EPIC that I could rent out.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best setup so I dont have to spend twice on Tx/Rx that as both HDMI and SDI capabilities

PARALYNX Arrow Plus or TERADEK Bolt wireless monitoring

And I'm looking into Small HD A7 (or other) for Monitoring.

Any input from current users would be appreciated

-Marc

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I can't really speak to the Teradek, but I have the Paralinx Arrow Plus and a Paralinx Crossbow. HDMI when you need it, and SDI when you need it.

3. Marc Morissette

Marc Morissette New Member

Thanks Austin ,

I was starting to lean more towards Paralynx .

-Cheers

4. Igor Bondarev

Igor Bondarev New Member

Bolt HDMI /TX(cam) --> Bolt SDI /RX (monitor's). Here may be an option .. SDI connections are easier and safer.

5. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Is anyone able to speak to this question a bit more now that some many Movi's are out and in use?

Paralinx vs Teradek?

Would be very helpful.

6. Ben Huddleston

I've used both, and had success and frustrations with both. I own the Bolt Pro (hdsdi), and I feel like people in general are happier with the Paralynx. I would get a Paralynx if I could make the choice again.

I would want to get an HD-SDI transmitter/receiver though. It's a way more robust, professional way of working. For the life of me I can't figure out how HDMI became ubiquitous in a professional environment. It's fragile, delayed, bulky and non-locking. Not new info...

So anyway, with that said I will admit to using HDMI on every MoVI shoot. I run an HDMI from the camera up to the top crossbar and convert it to SDI there. I use a Zacuto EVF monitor (hdmi) to a BlackMagic converter to the Bolt SDI. It's not the best system though. the Zacuto EVF is too small, and the converter is too heavy and bulky. Not to mention the extra power requirements.

As for choosing the AC7 monitor, there's another monitor on the market now that's interesting to me: the new Marshall 5.6" which can take an HDMI input and spit out HDSDI. I'll be getting one of these for my new MoVI onboard.

Anyone want to buy a Zacuto EVF and a BlackMagic hdmi->hdsdi converter?

7. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

http://www.steadicamforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19397
    You can have a look here for the CMR radian MC, same technology. as Paralynx I had pretty good result so far.
    I did a test in a park, I reached around 85m, and an other one in a carpark, I reached 70m (however in another spot in the carpark I got only 40m)

The backbone is pretty good. You can attach a USB battery to feed the transmitter and a converter (2 usb output from the battery).

Happy so far, specially with the introduction price.
    The group buy will finish in 3 days and that's an extra 10% off....

8. Dan Kanes

Dan Kanes Member

Hi!

Dan Kanes here - founder of Paralinx

Accept no imitation. Paralinx Arrow is the Bomb. Our crossbow Hd-SDI input module will give you the best of both worlds - and we are now selling Atomos H2S and S2H converters if you need another option. Our support is out of this world and our product is much better than some who claim to use similar technology!

9. Dan Kanes

Dan Kanes Member

I should add that Freefly is an authorized Dealer of Paralinx products as well! Glad to have them onboard!

10. Richard peterson

Richard peterson New Member

A few things I like about the bolt. The transmitter is milled from aluminum. Built to take a beaten. I also don't know how I could live without the HD-SDI loop through: the way I set up my steadicam and often a second monitor for the AC. I run the output from the epic into the transmitter input then use the HD-SDI loop to feed a second monitor on camera (for the AC) or to the video input on the steady-cam sled. The Receivers on the bolts have 2 HD-SDI outputs which is great for feeding multiply monitors in video village. I my mind HD-SDI is a must. One thing I don't like about the receivers is they are plastic. I really wish they would have milled them from aluminum too. I aslo like the pelican case with custom foam.

11. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

I've also read that people are generally happier with Paralinx. But if you are wanting SDI without having to power a splitter wouldn't the Terradek be the only option since the Arrow is HDMI only? How would you get around that?

12. Ben Huddleston

Paralinx makes a thing called the Crossbow that converts an SDI signal (eg from the new 4k Blackmagic Cam) to HDMI and the Crossbow attaches to the transmitter. I believe you're still dealing with HDMI on the Rx end no matter what, and many proper field monitors don't have HDMI....

13. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

We ended up going with the Bolt specifically for the ability to tailor the system to HDMI or SDI to meet our customers needs. I do like the form factor of the Paralinx a bit better but the need to be flexible to many camera & monitor solutions ended up pushing us to the Bolt. We use the Marshall VLCD-56MD with the Marshall MD-3GE and MDO-3G modules. This allows the monitor to accept a HDMI or SDI source and output SDI to our Bolt transmitter for the MōVI.

14. Ben Huddleston

Good setup, Mike. I plan to buy that monitor.
    I just bought the Radian MC system that Joe Hell suggested, an HDMI system with 3 receivers. With the group buy it only cost $1800. I will be testing it against the Bolt to see which one I keep. The Bolt was $2500 with one receiver.

I will have a receiver on the MoVI crossbar (meaning ZERO cables to the gimbal platform!) and still have one for the Tx op as well as a focus puller or director. I will keep a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter just in case I only have an SDI monitor.

15. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Cant speak highly enough of Paralinx. Not only do I think the unit is more stable but they have some of the best customer service out there. I have a Crossbow and plus setup and Im buying a second receiver unit this week. For the money go Paralinx.

16. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

Ben can you tell us how you like the CMR radian? Positives and negatives if possible

17. Ben Huddleston

Well, I should start by saying that I have tested the CMR Radian thoroughly only in a test environment: my house and block. In the last week since I received it I have been on jobs where it was not needed. The true test lies in how it performs in multiple environments in the real world... However, here is what I think.

Pros.
    -Pretty professional package of gear; no shame of looking like a hack or anything, even though it's not one of the oft discussed front runners here, the Teradek or the Paralinx.
    -When compared side by side with the Bolt in my tests, the Radian performed better every time. Longer range, less dropouts.
    -Picture quality is superb. No noticeable lag.
    -One Tx and THREE(!) receivers for less than what I paid for the Bolt with 1 Rx. All functioning well.

Cons.
    -Not the industry standard; may prove harder to rent out with a gear package.
    -Chincy USB connectors everywhere in my life now. It's how all the Radian gear gets its power. The Tx and the Rx need constant 5v of power, which means you always have to have a voltage regulator on everything that is powered from a Lipo or V-lock/AntonBauer
    -A tad on the light/not-as-robust side. The build quality of the Bolt is superb, and the Radian is not quite there. It's not bad though. Not bad at all. I'm keeping it.

18. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

great stuff, thanks very much, i ordered them today. the guys at CMR were very helpful, hopefully i will have them soon, my Movi arrives thursday. looking forward to putting it all together. Thanks again Ben.