/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan orientation and remote issues

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Paul Beseler, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Paul Beseler

Paul Beseler New Member

We're having some issues with the pan orientation. After balancing the camera (C300) and powering the MoVI the tilt and roll will configure correctly however the Pan axis will proceed to do a 270 degree spin and rest parallel with the crossbar with the lens pointing at the handles.

The remote is not turned on however when we do turn the remote on the camera starts to spin very slowly in majestic mode. When in Remote mode it continually spins faster again.

All Gimbal connections seem to be connected properly to the 3 motors. Have tried restoring Factory cal however this didn't seem to change any settings.

Hope you can help - thanks

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

This one has me stumped. I will be very interested to see what the answer is.

3. Michael Elsegood

Hi Paul & Brett

Is it possible you have removed to crossbar and re-attached it later in a different direction.

Same thing happened to me when I tried the M10 out with the MR conversion kit on a multi rotor.

When I converted it back to handheld M10 mode, it was 90degress (infact 270 degrees) off "home" as I had mounted it not knowing which was "true forward" inside the pan motor. As far as I know, there is no way to know what the pan motor's 0degree position is without powering up the MōVI.

Let me know if this solves it?

Cheers

Michael

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Very likely that Michael has identified the issue. The Pan motor spindle does have a 'front' to it. Same thing happened to me when I first changed the handles over to the MR setup. Easy to correct and I used a silver pen to put a mark on the spindle to indicate front.

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

As for the spinning issue, is the MoVI set to handheld or airborne mode?

6. Paul Beseler

Paul Beseler New Member

Hi Michael and Gary. Unfortunately we have tried a few options to get it back to the right position with no luck. What do you change to make it go back? We set it to face the right way at 0 and when we turn it on we see on the chart we see the yaw value is -95 degrees. Not sure how to determine where the front is.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Paul, balance the camera as you normally would. Pickup the MoVi and turn it on. It should align correctly pointing away from the operator, 90 left or right, or 180 pointing at the operator. Make a note, power down, remove the handle and rotate it so that the gimbal will point forward. Test it again. If everything is not pointing in the right direction I would remove the handle and use a silver marker or something similar and put a mark on the rotating part of the pan motor (interior section with the screw holes for the handle) for future reference.

Also as Brad mentioned make sure that you are in Handheld mode otherwise in Airborne mode with the control switch all the way forward it will start spinning.

8. Paul Beseler

Paul Beseler New Member

Hi, everyone. Thanks so much for your help. We tried one last thing and it worked. A plate just above the gimbal is attached to the clamp system that holds the crossbeam. We took off the top section that holds the crossbeam and rotated that bottom plate.

See image for reference.

We have made lines so that we know when to balance it in the future.

Thanks again Brett, Gary, Michael, Brad for all your help

. MoVI Pan Orientation Fix.jpg

9. Peter Dimako

Peter Dimako New Member

This just happened to me. It's a pain. There should be a marked point of reference to avoid this. All fixed but what a headache if it happens.