/dist/images/branding/favicon

New firmware 2.0e w GPS changes (10-10-2013)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Gary McCready, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

OK, so the only time you would need to reset them to default is if you go from say 2.0D to 2.01E?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I’m not sure. I think Andy figured that out once, but I always check each of the settings methodically after having been...err...surprised at some of the firmware changes’ impact on my flying. :eek:

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Thanks Steve for reporting back on your findings with the PH and 2.01 ... I've got the hex files on the computer but am 5000km from where the bird is until next week, when I'll try them out as well

Cheers
    Chris

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't trust the firmware to leave values alone -- check it like a hawk every time you upgrade to make sure Bad Things have not happened -- and don't even attempt to load a .mkp file that you created with a previous version of firmware for fear of the aforementioned Bad Things.

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

I have a folder full of screenshots of each one of the tabs in MKTOOL, and I always walk through each setting. Then I turn on the OSD function in MKTOOL and verify things like AH, PH and CH, too. Then (without the props on), I do a motor test. Then I turn on the TX and (still no props), run up the motors to verify that pitch and roll do what they should (this is an audible thing). Yaw is more or less impossible to test without props. Finally, I pot the props on and fly her.

6. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I have a folder of screenshots from each tab too. It is definitely the easiest way to double check settings. I only remove the props sometimes, but did for the .90 to 2.00 upgrade.

7. Gary McCready

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, do bear in mind, you're looking at the beta releases. What "beta" used to mean was "this is a test version we'd like you to try -- we don't think there are bugs in it, but there may be...." It seems to have changed meaning more to "Hey, try this...."

That's why Holger and Ingo are cranking up through the version numbers as they try to fix the bugs they inadvertently put into the code when they did the upgrade to the 2.x revision.

My point being they're trying to fix things, and they are communicating with the world about the problems -- that's why the version numbers are changing so rapidly.

This is in sharp contrast with other copter companies who would prefer to remain anonymous but are otherwise called DJI. ;) (Give them their due -- they do upgrade the firmware, but communication with them is, errr, really quite hard, or so it is reported by several people.)

Andy,

9. Gary McCready

The problem is I have a new FC 2.5 and the only firmware that works is the 2.01 "beta". You are correct, at least they are working on it aggressively. My Quad is still on 90j, and works fine, but only carries a GoPro.

10. Gary McCready

Update: WOW..my CS6 flew like a dream today with my new FC 2.5, and the very latest updates. AH and PH were the best they have ever been, and I used the defaults! It was blowing 3-5mph, so not much wind. Have to see how it handles 5-10. Video to follow!!!
    FC: 2.01g
    Navi: 2.01 f

Any hints on softening the Radians a bit for less jerkiness?

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary: Have you tried adding "expo" to the controls on the transmitter? This means that the sticks will be less sensitive the closer they are to their center position so you can gentle ease into and out of the motion. Not sure which transmitter you're using, but you will typically find "Expo" in the table of contents or index.

You can de-sensitize the sticks uniformly using what is often called "Dual Rate...." Meaning that you have a control switch that adjusts the sensitivity of the sticks. Again, check for Dual Rate in the table of contents/index.

Finally, make sure that everything associated with the Radians is tight. The belts should have about 2-3mm of movement when you press in the mid-point between the small pulley and the large pulley. Check also that the bolt holding the small pulley to the servo is tight. If there is any mechanical "play" it will make the system seem jerkier than it need be -- this is especially true for pan.

Andy.

12. Steve Maller

Indeed, looks very stable.

13. Gary McCready

Thanks Andy: I use Expo on my MX-20 but I think I need more. I was thinking about softening the Radian "gains" a bit?
    I actually only have the 2 axis CS. That "pan" in PH (video) was all the more amazing because it was actually yaw on the stick. Nil to none of the famous "toilet bowl", and it was pretty horrendous before.
    FYI: I also followed Ziggy's advice and put heat shrink on all my battery leads, not sure if that help but PH is now excellent!
    Also gone: The problem of too much lift at neutral stick (127). I had to continually hold the stick down a bit or the CS would accelerate up.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You could certainly experiment with the Radian gains and see if that produces the effect you want...I just found that the overall stabilization was reduced rather than causing an ease in/out.

Sounds like Holger and Ingo have finally undone the damage they caused by the upgrade to 2.x, doesn't it?

Andy.

15. Steve Maller

Another update was just posted. We’re at ‘h’ now. But Holger says that there should be a final version posted tomorrow. Here’s Google’s translation of Holger’s comment:
    http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post500069.html#post500069
    "That really was a bug in one of the outputs. Thanks for the test.
    released a fixed Here is the "H" version http://mikrocontroller.com/files/PublicBeta/ If nothing else has noticed, we would like to release it tomorrow, this version than 2.02. For use with the BL-V3 controllers need the fact. Gruss, Holger"

16. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Thanks Steve,

It'll be nice to once again find some current software in the Repository and not obscure public folders!

Greetings,
    Adam

Steve Maller likes this.
  17. Gary McCready

Wow, another update.... I think I'll wait till it is "officially" out of beta. The good news is my CS6 has never flown better...with "g"!

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy, not sure that your bet on getting to 'Z' by the end of the year will happen. Holger needs to crank out more than 1 per day ;)

Gary McCready likes this.
  19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I was remaining tactfully silent, calculating number of days left by number of letters to go. But my cunning plan has crashed and burned when we go to 2.02. Rats! ;)

Andy.

Gary McCready likes this.
  20. Steve Maller

It was a fine plan.