/dist/images/branding/favicon

New firmware 2.0e w GPS changes (10-10-2013)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Gary McCready, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

A few folks here had moved to Hoverfly a while back, but since then, not a mention of it. It seemed as though they were headed in some positive directions with their electronics. Any recent experiences?

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Gary had issues with Hoverfly. I believe his controls locked up on him and caused a crash.

3. Steve Maller

My own experience was spotty with the 2.x builds. I have to say I kept waiting for some kind of breakthrough, but now that I have a few flights under my belt with .90j again, I realize I was a bit delusional. In particular, I was super paranoid about switching on PH. I had to make sure that enabling it didn't result in a wide ring of toilet bowling (which it did sometimes). If it did "stick", I left it on. But if it started to wander, I would first try to stabilize it manually, then sometimes it would "quiet down". But often I had to disable it. Usually if I pointed her North-ish, it would work better. But none of this was the case the first few times I flew with .90j. In particular, one of my tests is to turn on PH and AH, then quickly yaw 180° and let go of the sticks. The 2.x builds would often degenerate to the point where I had to turn off PH. But not so with .90j. My strong feeling is that until Holger comes forward with some legitimate data and test results to indicate how to achieve the kind of stability with a Cinestar that he has with his own kopters, I'm not going to upgrade again. Until the Synapse. ;)

4. Dave King

5. Steve Maller

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave I've not tried any of the 2.0 software. I am on .91j and plan to stay there until I start testing the the new ME 2.5 board.

And I gave up on Hoverfly nearly a year ago. Bad flight experience and nearly non existent customer support.

7. Dave King

8. Steve Maller

On Holger’s advice, I’m going to give it a try. What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

Oh, maybe the fact that Air Force One is landing at SFO in about an hour and there’s a TFR in effect, and I’m within sight of the runway...

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Holgers post

Hello,

please try the latest 2.01e - I uploaded that today.
    Maybe one reason could be the wrong timing that I fixed now.

And please leave the Settings as default -just adjust your channel-settings and switches.
    The GPS-Settings between 0.90 and 2.0 are different and can't be used now. The Parameter GPS.ACC is important now.
    In old versions that was set to zero.

I did a flight today and GPS-Hold 100% perfect.

Also, we will release an external compass sensor soon. Most of the GPS-Problems are a result of a disturbed magnetic field.

Regards,
    Holger

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

11. Dave King

12. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Fingers crossed.. Hex files downloaded, but my copter is now in a different state to me ..... With multiple builds underway, I would like it to work. Flight with only altitude hold on the new 2.5 boards is spot on ....... come on position hold .... Time to join the party

13. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Well we can only hope.... I updated the Navi to 2.01e, and then saw that the FC now has an "2.01e" also, so I updated it too. When will this end? lol
    Nice part was the FC updated from "d" to "e" did NOT reset any parameters to default (I checked to be sure). By the time I got up the rest of the fall leaves today it was too late to test the bird. I don't mind the cold, it's 32 f here, supposed to be warmer tomorrow but 100% chance of rain! I'd also like dry ground, don't want to kick any water onto my electronics, so it might be a few days before testing. I'll Keep you updated about the updates!
    Did have a bit of a problem with my Xbee 3DR, my Satellite bars don't show on the GPS readout or the Deviation Chart. The data shows 12 sats, the numbers update, but the graphic bars are just not there. Worked fine when connected direct USB to the Navi. Thought it might be my Smart OSD but didn't work when I hooked the Xbee to the Navi direct either, instead of though the OSD.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Gary I haven't seen the bars with the xbee through the OSD for a year. Mind you I haven't updated the OSD software in the same amount of time. Works fine hard wired. Andy tested his system with the same results using the xbee/OSD combo. May be that the xbee just doesn't have the speed/ bandwidth.

15. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Mine was working, (Xbee 3DR) showing bars, till the latest firmware (even through the OSD). I think you can change the baud rate, but probably at the expense of distance? I downloaded a new USB driver, didn't help, but I noticed the default was 9600, and I upped it to 57,600.
    I wonder if I upped it some more it might work better/faster? Not sure how I'd program the one on the CS6 though?

FYI: Here you can get one for $30 , says the max is 250k. It is setup for Multiwii though, an FC board I fooled with for a bit, and got from Witespy (this site). Looks like it would work but the connector is a bit different.
    http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight-controllers/3dr-radio-telemetry-kit-915mhz.html

16. Dave King

Good catch. Its also really confusing to a lot of users because the order of updates goes from 2.0d, to 2.0e, to 2.0f and then 2.01e. 2.01e wasn't even announced in a new thread it was spun off of 2.0e thread.

17. Dave King

Holger responded to my post got the same exact response as Steve.

18. Steve Maller

As per Holger’s suggestion, I installed 2.01e on my CS8 today.
    Without re-calibrating anything, I went ahead and did some testing.
    I left all gains at default, with a couple exceptions (gyro values that shouldn’t affect PH).
    I re-set my switches and channels.
    Flew twice in a really good wind (measured at 18mph on the ground, probably higher at altitude) and cool air (48F).
    Overall flight performance was quite good. Copter was pretty stable in the wind, but was really fighting to not blow out over the ocean! :eek:
    PH seemed quite acceptable, considering the wind, and might be better if I tuned it.
    My acid test is to quickly yaw 90° or so, and the copter recovered in all directions (it wasn’t able to do this before).
    AH was very solid.
    Compass effect was left at default (64).
    As you can see from the GPX trace, there was some toilet bowling, but again, this was in a very strong breeze.
    I am going to do the following and re-test...
    • calibrate ACC
    • calibrate compass
    • re-locate the Navi board and GPS to a higher position
    Will report back when I get this done. I may also be switching back to an X8 config (with aluminum boom clamps this time!), so it may be a few extra days.
    Google Earth-snap001.jpg

19. Dave King

Steve

Are you leaving the settings alone or are you pressing the red triangle button in the terminal window? When I think to leave the settings as default my thought is that you leave the settings alone but according to the email I got from MK today they said that you must press the red triangle to reset the values to default. To me that doesn't make any sense but that's the response I got. Maybe its just me?

20. Steve Maller

The software does that for you on a quantum change (like going from .90j to 2.01e). All my settings had been nuked. I’ll double check later, but I’m pretty sure that’s the behavior of MK_TOOL.