/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mk flight control vs dji wookong

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jason Herring, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

I was wondering what the difference was between the two flight controls? With wind etc...

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

There are several discussions ongoing about that here on the forum. Search around and you'll see lots of info.

3. Graydon Tranquilla

Check out Multirotor forums and go to the General as well as the DJI specific subsections to see over 33,000 postings. This volume of posting reflects both the size of the captured international market as well as known issues with their products. Keep in mind that their market focuses on the general public versus typically more competent and tech savvy users of MikroKopter products.

Personally I can only comment from the perspective of someone who uses DJI products exclusively.... I have over 200 successful flights to date with DJI MR related products. When the WKM is working well it handles strong winds very well. In one case I was able to activate RTH feature and have it autoland back on the takeoff spot which was a manhole cover at a local park. Apparently accelerometers help improve GPS position accuracy!!

The WooKong M seems to work reliably using firmware 5.20 but I avoid the DJI internal gimbal functionality which has been known to conflict with the flight controller under certain conditions... It seems that switching back and forth between flights between RC remote gain adjustment and internal gimbal control can cause weird control problems with MR flight. The IMU's tend to be overly sensitive to MR frame vibration. These issues can sometimes result in loss of MR control, fly-aways and crashes.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Jason

Not too many DJI users on this forum. Many MK users feel that DJI isn't as reliable and DJI users feel the same way as MK. I think in all realty is that it boils down to comfortability. I know a couple local guys that fly DJI and they haven't reported any problems. ON the flip side of the coin I've flown MK a ton this past year with over 500 flighths and the only issues I've had were operator inexperience issues. It also comes down to support and who you can turn to when you need help or get knowledge. There's plenty of support on both sides and both are constantly updated. I think both work well enough for anyone provided you know how to use it correctly.

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  5. Graydon Tranquilla

Good comments Dave..... Apparently Cinestar MRs was originally developed specifically for use with the Mikrokopter systems..... enabling the release of RTF and ARF MR packages and no rework challenges that come with mounting alternate FCs, PDBs and ESCs...... a bit of a shift towards DIY MR work.

6. Dave King

Experience makes all the difference in the world. I see newbees fly/crash then blame their system all the time. Sometimes people are so inexperienced they actually have no idea that they did something wrong that caused the crash (regardless of system). Simulators can only help to a certain degree. You have to go out and fly: Charge batteries properly, calibrate the ACC, calibrate the compass, log your data, know when you shouldn't use GPS etc.........and know how to fly and know how to use the system you are using. Lots of factors here that people too easily blame a system for.

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I see it as a bit of Chevy vs. Ford, Mercedes vs. BMW, or Canon vs. Nikon. Anybody with deep familiarity and skills with one platform will usually trump somebody with less familiarity and skills with the other. I know my MK bird pretty well, both her strengths and weaknesses. Were I to switch to a different electronics stack, I'd be back to square one in many ways. There's no substitute for 500 hours of flying time. None.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Graydon at the time the CS came out there wasn't really any other choice.

9. Dave King

Amen brother!

Jason Herring likes this.
  10. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I have flown both extensively and find WKM to be better overall. It took me awhile to come to say this as I was a die hard MK fan a couple years back. I read all of the negative stuff about DJI and most of its is true with their hobby stuff but I have had nothing but good experiences with WKM and Ace One over the last few years.
    MK seems to really shine with lighter loads but after using it for the last 4 years on MK hexa and then CS6 and finally CS8 as well as a few other contraptions, I just have never got the same quality flying characteristics that WKM now delivers for me. The GPS and ATTi are so much better on WKM which ironically I rarely fly in anything but manual.

So...heavy loads = WKM
    Lighter Loads = MK
    Pick one = WKM

In reality with the Movi and Alexmos driven gimbals, as long as the multi can lift it, its a pick em these days:)

11. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Wow guys,
    Thanks so much for all the great info, that's why this is the best fourm out.
    One more question , what is the cost for the MK with gps and any else I would need ?
    Thanks again,

12. Danielle de Leon

Danielle de Leon New Member

13. Dave King

I completely echo what Brad said. I was a die hard MK fan as well until late last year where I had a bunch of failures. I completely agree that the Wookong is a much better flyer than heavy lifter MK rigs. I built my Wookong rig this winter and have about 250 flights on it and zero issues, glitches, or failures. It's just a shame that the telemetry isn't better but its doable.

I disagree about the MOVI and alexmos though. I flew the Alexmos for 1.5 years and had the best tuned gimbals on this planet, there is no substitute for a MOVI. I couldn't afford it when it first came out, heck I couldn't even afford it when it was introduced at $5K but if I had known then what I know now I would have found some way to get it even at a higher price.

Michael McVay likes this.