/dist/images/branding/favicon

New firmware 2.0e w GPS changes (10-10-2013)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Gary McCready, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary: I feel your pain. MK's "organization" of the firmware files can be totally confusing -- and the fact that MK Tool doesn't know about the beta versions just makes it worse.

Were you connecting directly up to the FC to update the FC firmware and directly up to the NC to update the NC firmware? I've found that works best for "major" upgrades -- that is where the numbers change.

Be sure to check all, and I mean all, of the MK Tool settings for the parameter set you're planning to use (typically #3, Easy).
    Make sure that the Misc: Emergency Gas setting is up around 85-95% (your choice) and that the "Use Vario....." check box is checked.

Andy.

2. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Thanks Andy! Yea I connected directly to the Navi for the updates to both boards. When the FC update failed I connected directly to the FC to "unbrick", which wasn't really the problem anyway, wrong firmware. Not sure how comfortable I am running "beta", but never did find firmware 2.00d, just the 2.01e. What a morass....lol

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It's amusing that Holger chooses to use the designation "Beta" for these builds. Might as well call them "top of mind" or "daily" builds. I just wish he was more responsive. It's become a matter of great concern to have thousands of dollars of hardware flying around with software that is in this state. It's still working, but I'm counting the days until FF ship the Synapse. The existing options (including MK) feel so antiquated (hardware and software) and very hobby-oriented. We need true professional-level products!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Gary McCready

Gary, an "F" version. I just uploaded "e' yesterday. Where the heck did you find that? lol

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Gary McCready

Wow, this seems more and more like "Hobby time". I did my research and bought MK because it seemed the most stable and reliable, even though it was more expensive. I buy the FC 2.5 and am running "beta"? Crazy to be flying a $4,000 machine with a FC that only has Beta available. Guess I'll upload "F" to the Navi before flying.
    Gary: thanks for picking up the "f" change. I was so frustrated by the time I found the "E" I didn't read the entire thread.

8. Steve Maller

9. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

This sounds like multirotor-roulette! Load a firmware, flick the switch and hold your breath ... Will it, won't it ... Shew! Luckily not this time!

Colin Snow likes this.
  10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I am one step behind you! Thanks for the post.

11. Dave King

Steve I feel your frustration which is why I stay with 90J. I guess that's his way of saying that these versions are "buyer beware". Usually after a BETA version comes an official release version. Holger keeps going from one Beta to another which is really bad because 2.0 doesn't have one solid firmware. He needs to release a real 2.01 version and then go to a 2.01B version. Then when that's good to go create a 2.02 version.

It also would be a refreshing change to see the basic functions of the copter to work like PH instead of being able to star patterns with waypoints. He really thinks that waypoint crap is impressive. Even though none of us use waypoint how does he expect for waypoints to work if PH doesn't work when PH must be engaged to run WAYPOINTS!!!!!

Gary McCready likes this.
  12. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Dave ... Well summed up and I could not agree with you more!

13. Gary McCready

Yea, I agree 100%. I downgraded my MK Quad to 90j. Unfortunate the FC 2.5 (that I just put on the CS6) won't run on anything less than 2.00d, which I actually never did find. I could care less about way points also. Just give me a stable platform..not a Beta.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

These are the kinds of growing pains one sees as an industry grows from its infancy into adultery (so to speak) <evil grin>.

I'm afraid we've seen it all before with the personal computer industry circa 1975 until 1981 (when IBM entered the market).
    It doesn't excuse what is happening, but, IMO it does explain it.

Perhaps Boeing or General Dynamics should get into the multi-rotor copter business? ;)
    Oh....but when/if they do, guess what will happen to the pricing...

Andy.

15. Dave King

I would buy a A.J.L Flight control system, at least I know that the designer had common sense behind it and wouldn't release a version before it was ready. :D

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're too kind Dave.
    All it takes is 50 year's experience of systems programming, then it's easy. :)

Andy.

17. Steve Maller

FYI, at Dave's suggestion I downgraded to .90j today. Methodically reviewed all my settings, and the CS8 flew nicely. The PH performance is definitely better, and I think could be even better. Crazy...I wonder what Holger did to screw it up so badly. I have no interest in auto landing or most of the other 2.0 features, so until others report a considerable improvement, I'll probably stay here.

18. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Can anyone report on the "old PH performance being reinstated in v2.01" hoping to hear some folks smiling at regaining PH performance, I will have to wait until next week to keep chasing a suitable PH performance for the V2.5 FC

19. Dave King

Chris

The only person I have heard say their PH performance was good post 90J was Gary Haynes and that was with the new GPS changes before Holger reverted back to them. Since Gary is running a setup very similar to yours maybe he can help. Other than Gary I have not heard anyone say that PH has worked well in Beta form or 2.01 with the old GPS. That doesn't help you since you can't run it but at least you know that the issue probably isn't in your copter. DJI is looking like a better option for a HL every day. Let me post something on the MK board.

20. Dave King