/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tiger motors 4012 and beyond

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Im looking to upgrade my TM 2814-10 KV 710 for the Tiger 4012 motors KV480, any feedback from this motor, would be greatly appreciated
    thank you

2. Jose Luis Ocejo

Ok in my search and understanding of the different Tiger motors I check their new webpage and its got a lot of new information and some new products good looking new line of motors what caught my attention was the charts spec for the different motors in the navigator series I notice that in the charts they test only 4S and 6S not 5S could someone have an idea as to why 5S is not that popular

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

From what I believe, if you have a properly matched set of motors, and props for your individual copter's characteristics 6S will give you more flying time.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Thanks Dave i guess we are all going in the direction of the 6S world, did you see the new black motors the U Power interesting caracteristics

5. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

That U11 is the size of a hand, of course it could be a small hand in the pic:D Some serious lifting power there. 28 Inch props and 12S:eek:.

Funny thing is that we all are making copters bigger and bigger and bigger to carry large cameras, when in a few years there most likely will be a high res raw camera the size of a nex7 and we all can go back to standard lift CS's LOL, Mores Law in eeffect:D

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

True and no so true. 90% of my biz is flying the cameras clients see as the 'go to' camera which are usually big and heavy...RED, F55, C500/300. As we know 75% of the time clients don't need 4k and 5k but they want it so we give it to them.

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Indeed! In just a short time, we'll have cameras like the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera...oh, wait, we already do. ;)

The MōVI is already here, and with it a host of lower-cost (albeit less reliable and flexible) alternatives.

Next we need is something in that form factor that'll take EF lenses and shoots 100 or 200 fps at 1080P or 4K. That's just one or two more clicks in Moore's Law, right?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
    Moore's law is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The law is named after Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore, who described the trend in his 1965 paper.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  8. Dave King

I think the latest and greatest will always be heavier.

9. Steve Maller

I disagree...IMHO that's Consumer Psychology 101. Jim Jannard hit a home run with the REDs. But Blackmagic (or Panasonic, or Sony, or Canon) may eventually eat their lunch. The best example of this is GoPro. That little HD Hero3 is more powerful and flexible than some cameras costing (and weighing) 5-10x as much. The key is to be a little patient.

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Very interesting debate guys but can we get your experience and wisdom and touch on the current Tiger pro line that is the larger MT MN and the up coming U line of motors at the end is nice to know that we have the capability in our copters to fly heavier payloads like (RED Epic) but choose on some jobs lighter cameras
    Thanks

11. Dave King

Jose - I"m not a motor expert but unless something is tested and marketed I plan on running the Tiger MT-2814-14's on the HL that I'm about to build. There are several heavy lifters out there using them that are test proven to fly 9kg reliably. I know some others have run other Tiger motors but I don't know if they are capable of flying 8-9kg "efficiently". I know Howard is planning on running Avroto 3520 motors, you can see a writeup on them over at RCG.

Steve - The day I see someone start to film commercials with light and compact cameras, I'll be the first to say I'm wrong.

12. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Dave, what's the kv rating for the 2814-14? At what voltage are you planning to run?

13. Dave King

Ops my bad, thanks for correcting. I'm planning on using MT 3515-15's. 400KV with 6S.

14. Steve Maller

Does anybody know what FF are using on their new Heavy Lifter?

15. Dave King

Steve, nobody is saying anything. :( I"m going to go with a MK stack 2.5 FCB and the I2C converter using 6S batteries until they are shipping. My gut feeling is that they haven't finalized a motor yet but that's pure spectulation on my part. My guess is we won't see info on a HL kit until Synapse is ready and I"m betting they will be finalized together around SEMA time where they can have a big launch with shipping dates mid to late summer. This is my guess............. But I've been wrong more than right.

16. Steve Maller

Product development is moving really fast in these areas, so there are a lot of choices. That may be what's holding things up at FF...not sure if I was in charge of things over there that I'd want to commit to a BOM with all the rapid innovation going on. All the more impressive that the MōVI is shipping as a whole product.

17. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I would almost bet that Tabb is going to phase out the MR side of things and concentrate on the mounts and gizmos completely.
    There is way more ROI with a 5 axis handheld unit for the masses/industry then spending time messing around with flying which more or less works currently. A Movi doesn't replace an arm'd Steadicam currently but with 5 axis it will and that's and even larger market share. Plus 3d capable mounts etc etc accessories. The list goes on!
    Also the actual form factor of the current gimbal is not ideal and I can see spending way more time on that then a MR which already has a ton of competition for minimal gains.
    Remember to succeed you need to focus and not get spread too thin and they have a great product name now with the Movi. Its a what have you done for us lately kind of market now and staying on top is as much work as getting there.

back to OP...

Yes those U's look interesting and we are starting to see some real power in a smaller package. Time for a safer battery system to power these:)

18. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Brad, we are absolutely not phasing out of the MR side of things. Aerial Cinematography is my passion and represents the heart of the business! Just this last weekend we were on top of Copper Mountain capturing some NBC promos for the Olympics and battle testing the Synapse and MR at 12K feet in high winds!

Attached Files:

Kristian C likes this.
  19. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Good news for these aerial guys round here then!

At least I know how to get a status update out of you now:D

20. Steve Maller

Hey, Tabb, that's great to see.
    But let me ask you, does battle testing come before or after beta testing?
    If I have a good helmet, can I be a battle tester?
    :rolleyes: