/dist/images/branding/favicon

new Movi owners who used to fly Radians...

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Bryan Harvey, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Just looking for some feedback on performance. How much better is the Movi?
    After spending the $15K were you totally satisfied with the performance jump, slightly let down, or totally bummed out?
    Do you still need post-stabilization?

2. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

I am also very curious about this? ... If anyone has some input particularly on the in-flight stability difference between radian and brush-less setups... I am considering a switch however only if there is a significant improvement on the radian setup.

Cinestar 8
    Cinestar 3-axis /radians
    Graupner mx-20
    Graupner mx-12
    1.3 lawmates
    5d mk II

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Guys there is a reason no one has responded. To answer your question, it's like comparing color to black and white. Analog to digital. Water to sand. D cup bra to an A.

Bryan Harvey likes this.
  4. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

now that's what I wanted to hear!

5. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

My thought is that very few people have the 3500$ to buy the Radians and gimbal... and then to sink another Whack into another brush-less drive gimbal leaves us with maybe only a handful of people and they are out looking for work to pay for all the awesome gear they have?(instead of answering this post) I'd like to see some actual smooth footage from someone with an 8 and in wind over 10mph which in my area of the world is almost everyday...using the brush-less system with something heavier than a gopro. Send me some links!

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I may be partial to Freefly gear but here is a clip. 5D3, 16-35 at 20mm I believe. It was gusty this day (up to 20mph at times) and only the second test with the MR. Had a few jolts where the vibration isolators were bottoming and the mount and frame were in direct contact. I wasn't able to maintain accurate moves most of the time with copter position. Should've put a gopro on a boom for comparison. Next windy day...

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Like Howard said... there is a massive difference between Radians/servos and any brushless setup if its configured correctly.

I have used both Movi and Alexmos now on the ground and I can't tell the difference other than some real nice setup and convenience features the Movi has as well as predictability. Beyond that as far as actual footage goes its pretty much even. As far as compared to servos... its not even close.

In the air I haven't flown a Movi yet but the results with the Alexmos are as good as anything I have seen or want, as far as footage goes.

I know a few folks flying them in my area so we might just do a comparison shoot. Not that it really matters as both are great tools but so many people ask about the differences.
    No point comparing to Radian/servos as it really is another world.

8. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member

I have a couple Cinestar 3axis with Radians and a MoVI. There is no comparison. Even with longer lenses the stability is rock solid when well balanced.

9. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Brad,

I'm sure there's a few people here like me on the fence about buying a Movi vs trying to DIY with parts from brushlessgimbals.com, as you have done. It's just such a huge price gap between the two options. If the Movi were half the price I would just buy it without question. But the savings one could have by going the DIY route are significant.

I have not been able to find a build thread anywhere that lays it all out on what to expect in setting up the brushless with Alexmos etc...
    Specifically what convenience features and predictability does the Movi have that the Alexmos setup lacks? You clearly have way more expertise in working with electronics than I have, so DIY is a no-brainer for you. Im just a DP who has had to learn by necessity how to tune the Radians, how to tune my WKM flight controller, tweaking rubber O-Rings and mods to get good footage from the old gimbal. Could someone like me figure out the DIY route or will I be pulling my hair out? :)

Also a big question, and this perhaps negates everything else - is the Alexmos system as flexible as the Movi is for mounting different cameras?

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan the biggest difference is support. With Alexmos you are on your own. As you have seen getting information is problematic. With the MōVI you have a proven product that works and has great support.

matt ragan likes this.
  11. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

What Gary said!

I think if you are looking for an out of the box type thing with guaranteed support then the Movi is probably for you. It just kind of works and very nicely at that.

If you want to go anther direction, you can always get someone else to build it for you ;)
    But then its not DIY

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Nice video!!! Brad I wonder what the train operator was thinking when he say your copter! Can you tell me why your vibration isolators were bottoming out?

13. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Brad that is really stable... I can not get anywhere near that with the radians in 10mph wind... Brushless it is.. however I built my whole craft so I guess I'll check into the DIY first.. has anyone played with the Arduino versions of these? I hear someone had some success with that ?
    ttfn.

14. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

I would say go alexmos diy for sure! Although I think that the Brushless gimbal conversion kit is overpriced. I converted my 3 axis radian for about $300. (the cost of the motors, control board and a couple of sheets of 4mm aluminium or carbon fibre.) Results from it seem to be exactly the same as the movi.

15. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Gorgeous Brad. Was this shot at 720/60?

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Howard, I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to go back and look. Most likely 1080/30.

Dave, the isolators were bottoming out because of the turbulence due to the gusty winds.